Covering bike for winter trailering

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MotorcycleWriter, Jan 13, 2020.

1. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    I’m hauling my bike from a snowy area (N.Utah) to a warm(er) area (S.Nevada) next week and will be going through some areas that have seen a lot of snow and road salt over the last few months. Chances are I’ll be going through wet areas and I know from experience that the bike is going to get absolutely coated with crud. I plan to wrap it up in packing plastic (jumbo Saran Wrap) to protect it. Has anybody else done this and figured out the system? I’ll definitely share my results but am hoping someone else has already figured out what works so I don’t have to use my BMW as a giant sensor!
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

If you have a marina nearby you could get it shrink wrapped. They could even put a zipper in the shrink wrap to make it reusable. I've hauled things for customers that they have used the "saran wrap".... it never held up.
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geza Gear covers
  4. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago we took two brand new Huskies over the coast range to ride near the warmer beaches. There was a chemical put down to stop ice/black ice and it pitted aluminum parts on the bikes. Be careful this time of year!
  5. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trailering my bike from Minnesota to Texas and covering the bike with pallet wrap bought from Harbor Freight. Pallet wrap is more durable then Saran wrap.
  6. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    There are more marinas here in Northern Utah than one would think. I'll look in to it! Thanks.

Not sure I could get one by Saturday but I'll check them out.

I did this last year when I moved out here. I put the BMW in the moving van and carried my two Huskies, and old one and a 2017 701. They got slammed, but it must not have been the stuff that got yours. I took the trailer to a car wash the night we got here in the middle of January and thoroughly washed them down. I still find residue but it mostly wipes off.

I will check it out. Thanks!
  7. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inmate bmwktmbill wrapped his bike with pallet wrap and said it held up all the way from Wisconsin to Oklahoma, here's his photo of the bike all wrapped up.

[​IMG]
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    And wash any crap off when you get there! :wave
  9. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    second the Geza gear.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    From experience, don't do nothing.

I trailered an open, unwrapped, pristine FJR1300, 900 kms in Feb from Northern Mich to Barrie Ont. It was sunny, clear, and dry when I left the house.

Got home and the burgandy bike was totally white and covered in 3/8in thick chalky textured salt. Couldn't see the headlights or windshield as it was one big thick greyish/white sheet.

-20c and I hit several hundred kms of light snow and slush, sun came out and the roads were covered in white salt.

What a mess she was in, when I got home. I was sickened. But I turned the heat on in the garage, cracked the door an inch so the water/sand/salt ran out. I spent hrs lighty spraying her down and detailing small areas at a time.

Got to hand it to Yamaha, i had the bike a few summers and it looked mint when I sold her. No tarnishing around any of the fasteners or connectors anywhere.

That was a lot of work, that a ten minute wrap job would have avoided.
  11. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pallet wrap will work ,start at the back of the bike and overlap to the front. Be generous with the wrapping. Tape and or tie the last wrap. Use some duct tape if you want to reinforce some areas. Bring along some extra wrap just in case. It looks dumb and you will be asked what you are doing. have fun, emti
  12. Emb120

Emb120 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I literally just did the same drive from Salt Lake. I just rented a Uhaul 5x8 trailer for four days of the riding and no problem.
  13. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I've got a small flat bad. Hate to rent when I've got one but I could drop it off at a Uhaul in Vegas (where we are staging) and pick up a Uhaul when I was ready to leave...
  14. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've not much to add. Please let us know how it works. I'm soon starting down the bike hauling path thanks to advancing age and maybe,just maybe the first inklings of common sense.
  15. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I’d prefer to ride but weather conditions on the north end of the route can become deadly hazardous to a bike very quickly!
  16. Emb120

Oddometer:
    I have a small trailer aswell, but with the weather forecasts being what they were and salt being on the roads, the enclosed trailer was a blessing. It snowed starting south of Parowan till Spanish Fork.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, we trailered from PA to TX in a snow storm, the bikes were unprotected on a open trailer, rode for a few days and then got caught in a storm on the way back. We washed our bikes when we got back but that was not enough. I ended up replacing my wire harness on the bike because all the connectors rotted away within weeks of returning. My buddy chopped his wire harness up and repaired the rotten connectors. You are on the right track with wrapping the bike up. Even better would be an enclosed trailer.
  18. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    I just rented a covered 5x8 UHaul for the trip. Added a little cost but it’s bullet proof. Also preferred traveling with a UHaul rather than an open trailer. Really discourages thievery, which can be rampant along the interstates. Put a nice bike on an open trailer, in the back of a truck, or in an expensive race trailer, and it’ll attract attention. UHaul’s are mostly used to move crappy couches which no wants to steal.

The only mistake I made was renting one-way twice instead of renting local for the whole week. My bad. Lesson learned. I could probably ‘fix’ it but it would delay our departure.

About to drop off the trailer in Vegas. Had a great check-ride yesterday in the Valley of Fire/Lake Meade. Heading into the desert in a few hours. See y’all in a couple of days!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  19. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you tie down in the 5x8 UHaul? My recollection is that those trailers have a very skimpy wood “railing” about 3’ above the floor and no floor d-rings.
  20. Emb120

Oddometer:
    There are four small D-rings in the corners of the trailer. I verified that the bolts holding the D-rings were tight and then I used four ratchet straps to secure the bike. I also bought a motorcycle wheel chock to use if the straps failed, but that was not the case. The F850GSA was rock solid in place from Salt Lake to Mesquite Nevada. I also have a small open trailer, but this worked out so well, I would do it again.