1. eNewsletter Sign Up

COVID-19 Commuter

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by regnaDkciN, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:38 AM.

1. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN bearing 60k, clutch 69,HyperPros 70, ABS 128k Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm commuting, daily, from Kennesaw, GA to ATL. It's been a beautiful commute (that I used to dread). Virtually, no traffic, though I still traverse the Peach lane simply because it's a tad safer and the high view is beautiful. My commute is 2hours a day LESS during this period. I've had to get used to driving 80+ as apposed to 30mph (if that) during normal traffic hours. Ironically, I've noticed the air is much cleaner and easier to breathe, compared to 99+ degrees stopped on I-75. Have actually had time to reflect and be grateful on my daily jaunts to and from home to the CDC Roybal campus.

How 'bout you?

(P.S., gas is $1.75 premium COSTCO)
    Renegade3 likes this.
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a day off work and made a run for the border here before they slammed shut. Been a horrible year for the longer rides, big fires then heavy rain and now closing the state borders to cut movement of people was due to happen the next day.

I'd consider it fairly safe for me and everyone else, bike has ~450k range and the loop was ~350k's and I wasn't planning on stopping. It was quiet on the road but the country towns I passed through were busier than usual, no problems with the law which was a surprise. I wasn't looking forward to using the other roads, the dirt ones which probably would be gated (gates with room at the edges for a bike to get through).

Made note to self before the ride, don't crash because ending up in hospital would be really bad right now.
  3. joso

joso Motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Due to the shutdown in Germany the roads I use for commute are at about 25% of the regular traffic. Heaven! compared to the usual chaos in the Rhein-Neckar-area.
    Was discussing with a LEO today, could convince him that using my bike solo is the safest way to avoid infections, he laughed when I asked him to notice me wearing facemask and gloves.
    eaglescan and regnaDkciN like this.
  4. Renegade3

Renegade3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My office is still doing our thing in the five sided fun house in DC and traffic has been non-existent. I love it!
  5. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been telecommuting since a week ago Monday. Working 12-16 hours/ day on COVID business continuity for a large corporation. It's been absolutely nuts!

Ive had second thoughts about riding during my limited time off; needing medical attention for a minor off during all this would be a bad turn of events. I may take advantage of this down time to do some maintenance since I'm coming up on a major service interval.
    Renegade3 likes this.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point, I have three bikes in the garage. Picked up a bottle of Dot-4 on the way home from my what was likely my last long ride for the year and have ordered new pads where needed so they'll all get brakes serviced and fluids changed. Other than that though I do maintain them well so there's not much other 'lets not go insane here' work to do on bikes.

Riding I'm O.K. with, I'm not a habitual crasher anyway so the risks there I'd consider acceptable.

Thanks to all those who are keeping the mail order side of their businesses going. That's helping.
    Renegade3 likes this.
  7. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s the one bad thing about my office being telework capable and not mission essential. We get to telework, which is great, but I don’t get to take advantage of what must be a great commute at the moment.

As much as I miss being on two wheels on a daily basis...I’ve still got a paycheck coming, so I won’t complain about it too much.
    AzMtnThumper and Renegade3 like this.
  8. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For errands in town, normally this retiree rarely goes by bike due to the hassle of pulling gloves & helmet off, earplugs out, etc. and putting it all back except the plugs before riding a few blocks & repeat, then repeat again, maybe again, then forget earplugs until speeding along the two-lane outta town, but now it's great - I take an empty little road to town, make my stops leaving the gear on. People smile & seem to appreciate it, especially the closed helmet when passing in doorways (I hold my breath and only speak once past). Talking across a counter, I tell 'em to shout at me. Sanitizer & paper toweling handy in a pocket... it's Simple.
  9. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    I could take a little more Georgia like this. I'm a daily commuter as well (as is my Wife) , I'm 12 miles from the house , She is 26. 20 minutes for me (Paulding to Lithia Springs) has been averaging 12-15 minutes , Her 45 minute commute (to Smyrna) is down to 35. It will be a mad house soon enough again , so enjoy it while it last.
  10. snipesd

snipesd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride Burbank to Fullerton (Ca) for work. Normally it’s 40 minutes in the morning and 65 minutes when I’m done at 4 pm. Currently it’s the same in the morning but the other day it was 35 minutes to get home. Literally have to ride at 80 to not become a speed bump for the rally racers, they use every opening in every lane to shoot by, I like less traffic but not this way.