COVID 19: How are you handling the changes?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 16, 2020.

1. LidoCA

LidoCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the local governments start shutting down gatherings, the only large crowds are at grocery stores and retail locations. Unfortunately for me, I repair the refrigeration equipment at Costco stores, as well as the large grocery chains. I have been in these stores with the large crowds, the chaos and the hoarding. I believe that if there is a way to come in contact with this virus, being in that environment is it. The large immigrant population of Orange County were the first to start the hoarding. They obviously were in contact with friends and family in Asia.
    Offices are shutting down with the exception of critical personnel. The beautiful thing is that the company I work for is protecting the office personnel, by not allowing field personnel In the building. It's a sweet time.
    sealsam and CashCow like this.
  2. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    software dev in seattle, so i'm working from home and hunkering down with the fam. plan to take rides regularly, as the reduced traffic is pretty sweet albeit tragic in its own way.

and yeah, the economic fallout from this after even 3 months is gonna be monstrous.
    Hoggdoc and CashCow like this.
  3. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thought as well, get it early and done, before hospitals get overloaded. I want dibs on a ventilator.
    Hoggdoc, rdhood and CashCow like this.
  4. BigBaloo

BigBaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely no change to my life whatsoever. Yet.
    Still going to work as normal. For now.
    CashCow likes this.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I retired last year and expected that this would be a big year of riding for me. I would finally have plenty of time and a minimum of other commitments to keep me from riding. Well that all changed when my 85 year old dad fell and broke some bones in early January. I won't go into all the details but I spent a lot of the time in the hospital with him as there were times when my mom, my wife and myself rotated to be with him 24/7. It was the first time in my life that I spent any time in hospitals. My dad got a nasty disease called C-diff that is highly contagious and more deadly than the corona virus so I got used to putting on protective gear when with him and washing my hands all the time.

My dad died about 2 weeks ago just before the Corona virus really started having a big impact here. On top of that it seems like we have had nearly 40 days and 40 nights of rain. With all that stuff going on I just haven't really been in the mood to ride very much. On top of that my Like 150i is at the dealer getting fixed for an intermittent stalling problem.

Now the Corona virus may have a big impact riding in the next few months. So my year was already disrupted and this will just add to that. I expect to mostly lay low and see what happens in the near future. I'll probably do some local rides and maybe short trips but big plans are on hold for now. I did start a planning thread for a scooter get together in Maggie Valley in August but who knows if this thing will be over by then. I sure hope so.
  6. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that many years ago, people in Bulgaria had to wait for hours just to buy one single loaf of bread. And after they waited there was a good chance there would be no bread left. This was business as usual.

In other parts of the world, widespread famine, cholera, and other awfulness recurs.

And people in the US think they have a problem now. Most people in the US don't even know what a REAL problem is. The US is a land of privilege and comfort, compared to much of the world.

What's happening now in the US is a form of intelligence test. It's not difficult to do what is necessary to end up with a "good score". The list of precautions has been widely published. Soap and water are within the reach of nearly everyone.

Stay calm and use good judgement, and you will almost certainly be fine.
  7. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retired so no work (or $) concerns but a lot of BS inmates like me are in the "at risk" age group. We are still seeing our kids and grand kids.

We eat out a lot and enjoy Sundays at church, cut out those as of last weekend.

The economy is crashing right now but I think it will rebound just as fast once the hysteria passes and the rate on new infections slows down. After all China is getting back to work just two months after the disease first got rolling.

It's not like the great recession where banking and real estate we're totally out of kilter and took years to get rebalanced. We will have a vaccine in less than a year and people will be back to their regular lives.

I'd be putting some more miles on my shiny new Vespa if it would quit raining.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    We are both retired. A few weeks ago, we were working with kids in our daughter's classroom (we volunteer when we're here in the desert). School is out for the near term, uncertain for how long. Our daughter and son-in-law are both teachers; different schools in the same district. Both schools have 85% or more students who receive free or reduced lunch. When they announced the school closings, the first thing my wife said was, "For a lot of those kids, school breakfast and lunch are the meals they can count on. This is going to be tough on them, beyond the lack of learning."

We are no longer going out for lunch (a daily thing for us). Joan stocked up on groceries this morning and said the store (a huge Fry's) had a lot of empty shelves. We're not hoarding, just got a few more groceries than normal because of not going out to eat. We see our daughter and son-in-law, and the couple we have been friends with for decades (my music partner, and his wife, my wife's quilting partner). If we have to stay inside our motorhome (some friends are encouraging us to head back to Texas now), we can keep ourselves entertained. We spent our adult lives working together; we lived onboard a small boat in the past, so we can handle the close proximity. Having Rufus the cat to keep us company helps. Joan is tough, but she worries about me... if something goes around, I usually get it. Complicated by asthma. So, currently, she goes into the store, I wait in the car.

Eight days ago, we got to see one of the last spring training baseball games (Brewers vs Angels). The stands, usually packed, were maybe half full. We saw Little River Band in concert a few weeks ago. All that stuff is over for a while. We can still get out on the scoots, but the weather is going to turn again tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things, we are certainly less affected than most (as long as we don't get the virus). No jobs, no small children, no schedule, and we are OK not being around other people. In fact, considering the stupidity that has been displayed the last few days, I'd rather spend time with Rufus.
  9. JPopee

JPopee Scooter Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were out riding scooters this weekend. Personally, this is a great time to get out on the scoots but we will just have to pack a lunch. Between the scooters and my pontoon we shouldn't have much trouble practicing social distancing and enjoying the outdoors.
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working from home, with no kids at home. Which I've done for a day or so occasionally for years. i.e. Feeling a bit off but not worth visiting a Dr, delivery expected etc. (Quite a good employer). So the basic home office was already in place.

It's been made mandatory if possible by my employer now. Had to do some extra work to make sure I can access resources I could usually put off using for a day or two, otherwise apart from starting 30-60 minutes earlier no real change - which is great at present as I'm often working with people in other TZ's . Making sure I take breaks, get outside, eat normally etc.

Unfortunately working means I can't do long rides but impact has been minimal so far. I may consider going out afternoons when work is done to avoid going stir crazy.
    klaviator and CashCow like this.
  11. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    About 25 old fart Trail 90 riders do a 2 week summer camp and ride every year. This would be the 10th year which was scheduled for this month in Death Valley but we canceled it.

Personally I'm retired, divorced, and live in a semi rural area, so not many changes required. I'll spend a lot of time this season camping and riding alone or with 1 or 2 friends.
    klaviator and CashCow like this.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Funny this Feb I went back to work after working less then 1 month in the last 10 years due to work injury in 2009?. Part of the reason I have shitting writing skills . The job took only could have lasted till Apirl 14th but they call the end of season today . The nice thing I the 4 days pay they re giving me anyway . I end up making around 4 grand Canadian since around Feb 20 till now. Driving truck etc pays very well.
    Money wise I still am going to get a government check coming in no matter what happen to this job. Report the money I made and I m good to go. I guess I saying I m going to be $$ ok . Both the food banks the city I live in were giving out more food then I needed so I ve got at least 1 month of stuff sitting on my shelf. Yes both food bank allow you to go to the other . There was none of I m being an git but double dipping . As for TP paper there's always newspaper , Water , vinger on a sponge etc. I went to the store and found people panic buying stuff. The real joke was there was loads for fresh veggy but 2/3 of the meat was gone . Any food product that middle eastern names , asain , India food etc people dont panic buy .
    So with that said I just going back to living my old life mostly. I chapters books store is open I bring my own coffee and read their books. Come home do stuff on my computer , do digital art etc . I ll may or may not stop doing stand up comic stuff . It depends I m not going to wear a face mask since only gits do that since this is NOT AN AIRBORNE VIRUS. Mask help only if your sick and dont want get it or give it . healthily people please leave these to the people whom need it with under laying health issues. I ll wear gloves in stores once the virus numbers start taking off . stop opening doors etc with my hands . Basic shit that well keep you safe . If I get if , I get it . I going to wash my hands often etc . I may even go for a long trip around where I live . It's not like people are panic buying gas . Only real thing I should get done ASP in a new drive belt and rollers on the honda forza . 33 000 K plus .
    With that said I going to go have a beer .
    [​IMG]
  13. Glen e

Glen e Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going on day number eight of barricading myself into my condo, I can’t afford to get it because I have mild COPD, I am 70 years old and a slightly higher than average BMI. I do believe we will all get it in time, I’m just hoping to keep it away from my door until there are some viral medicines available and then later on obviously the vaccine. Have tons of MRE’s, and other stuff, I really don’t need to open theDoor for much, I’ll give it till June then I’ll go out and look around. But for right now it’s catching up on everything I’ve missed in the last year on Netflix…
    Hoggdoc, kantuckid, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  14. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife and I have lived in retirement communities in Floriduh for almost twenty years; We're used to hurricane prepping. No stress, anxiety, or hording was necessary. Our routine buying of extra food/water/gas/and other suggested essentials came a little early this year, that's the only difference.

Our snowbird neighbors laughed at us, and all agreed we were over reacting. Wife and I started taking in these extra supplies a month ago.
    We tried to explain to the Birds that we were not over reacting: we were acting smart, responsible, and proactive. Most have changed their tune in recent days, due to new revelations of how serious this *-19 really is.

Wife and I can now avoid the crowds doing their last minute panic/binge shopping.

The snowbirds that are not out shopping, or denying the realities in front of their eyes, are preparing to head home early.

We're ready to hunker down at home whenever requested or required.
    Until then, we'll continue to ride the scooter together, getting much needed fresh air, on relaxing back road rides.
  15. workerB

workerB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all the first responders and food service workers/suppliers above. I hope you and others on this site get through this well. I've enjoyed reading about different scoots and adventures you've had.
    I hope I don't seem flippant, but here's where my mind is. I just bought last week a 2013 Kymco Movie 150 to try to resell. My first ever scoot, pretty neat ride. But, not the battle scoot I've envisioned getting through the apocalypse on.. I used to think a ktm 530 exc would be ideal, for all the potholes, etc. However, now I think a Yamaha xmax would be better, more storage, and really good gas mileage, in case gas prices shoot up.. I think I could go around the worst potholes, afford to see family and friends, shuttle needed supplies, letters, etc.
    So far, in the current situation though, appears not a lot of interest in scooter buying. Dropping my price on Kymco to 1200, what I have in it, fwiw. Best wishes all!
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  16. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The polls are closed in Ohio. Now that it appears it is affecting the young, we are doomed because they will ignore all warnings and precautions. Hunker down friends..
    DandM and klaviator like this.
  17. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Restaurants are either closed or open for carryout and drive through. Med facilities open. I have a sonogram scheduled for today.
  18. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working from home full-time for now, as are many in the area. Minimizing trips out where possible. Ex. Grocery store and hardware store only (in the middle of a move).

I already had the hand washing and hand sanitizer thing down that everyone else just decided they wanted to start doing (one of my biggest complaints at work for years has been nasty bastards that don’t wash their hands after going to the restroom).

I’m not worried about me (I’m young and no pre-existing conditions), but I’m not trying to catch it and KO my whole neighborhood (pretty much everyone is 65+).
    OldCoot and klaviator like this.
  19. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK so far. Got total refund from tour co for necessity of canceling our Greece trip in April. Wife really wants to trailer scoots and had south instead, but I'm not positive that traveling in 2-1/2 weeks from now is going to be easy. Other than that, waiting for nicer days to get the scoot on. I have been busy with a welding class and exercise classes, but they are all cancelled. Plenty to do around the house in the meantime.

I try to be rational and suss out all the information that is being thrown at us. I could get all CSM here, but it only serves to be more depressing. Bottom line is we will get through this. Many lessons to be learned.

Keeping the good thoughts for all our BS friends.
    OldCoot, kpinvt, MiniBike and 2 others like this.
  20. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    We are boarding the plane for Honolulu in about 15 minutes. My only goal has been to get on the plane and get there. This is it. We’ll figure out the rest in Hawaii.
    It seems the situation changes every day. When I read about possible changes to domestic flights over the weekend, my stress level shot up. I’m good now.
    We’re leaving Houston in the midst of drastic changes. It might just be the beginning of things to come. I think there will be long term effects to the economy that can not be measured at present time.
    kpinvt and Dan V. like this.