COVID 19: How are you handling the changes?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 16, 2020.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    The situation for us is a bit confused: the island we live on has one way off (other than by boat), and that is a bridge across the Intracoastal Waterway that puts you in the town of Port Isabel on the other side of that bridge. PI has tightened down their restrictions over the last couple of days, requiring masks on anyone out in public and a "no travel" order, other than "essential"... you can walk or ride a bicycle, keeping that 6' distance in mind. There is a checkpoint set up on the road onto South Padre Island, turning away "non-essential" traffic. I haven't been off our island since we got home last Thursday. Joan has gone to the store twice, both early morning and on odd dates (we have an odd # license plate); yes, that is being enforced, too. She has seen no two-wheel vehicles when out; hardly any cars. I don't know if we'd get by (justifying a trip to the drug store), trying to get out for a ride. There is essentially one way in/out for that town, too.

I understand the concerns of the local government/LE: people want to get to the beach. All county beach accesses are closed. Thus, the reason for a checkpoint. Restaurants who were offering curbside pick-up are closing because people can't get to them.

All this to say: we are kind of "locked in." Our small island is not a part of Port Isabel or South Padre Island. I think I may have to break down and ride my scoot around here, with our 10 or 15 mph speed limits. And less than 6 miles of roads, all through residential neighborhood.

As far as golf, the resort village we live was designed with a golf course. It's not my thing, but our resort manager clarified the current rules: if you live with someone, you can play (golf) with them. Otherwise, you golf solo. The larger golf course that is about 7 miles from our island is closed. As far as life: this time of year, our island is populated with residents, most of whom are "of a certain age." Renters generally start to show up as it gets closer to summer, but the current edict is: no renters will be allowed to enter the village (at least through April, possibly longer). Right now, since we are "off on our own," it seems to be a safe place to be. Smart people are still taking all the precautions, some think "it can't happen to me." When the first case hits here, there are a lot of vulnerable people. A neighbor/friend of ours was a bit put off because she came at me for a hug and I told her "NO!" I don't know where she's been and she doesn't know where I've been. Seems to me that is the only way to go, for now.
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's interesting the difference between the mentality of You're Up and the colonies, especially those of us that live in low population density areas. And as long as we keep the discussion civil there's no reason not to continue.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait until you have to do that to your 10 year old granddaughter.
    EvilClown likes this.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the beach is quite a trip for KY folks? Our guv says he goes by the numbers and knows full well the regional differences in KY that affect logical choices. You wrapped all 4 mil plus people in the same neat wrapper. There are only 3 cities of any size in the entire state, which like a few other states similar, have most of the people.
    I just read some guys comment in Toronto(yet another "is it ethical to ride a PTW right now thread) suggesting people should arrange their errands to be short and logical. In very rural places there are no logical sequences?
    We have one small, grocery in the entire county and the next choices 100% of us use are 25 more miles to a small town in two directions. Postulating for me as to shopping, where not to go recreate by urban livers or people who lack local information is simply said a flat out waste of time.
    We saw a bear while watching the news this week, hope he's safe? Deer drinking from the pond this a.m., really neat setting as he was framed by forsythia, daffodils and redbuds plus my rock terrace full of phlox all in bloom.
    Had an Amish roofer come up today, I shook hands with him and avoided licking my fingers, opened the doorknob with off hand and washed up. We kept our space as did me and his "English" driver. :-)
    The new hobby on the web is covid infomania? Then trying to suggest if we or our guv is realistic...
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I like conversation that expand beyond riding. Most forums (100% of mine!)happen to be centered on PTW's or working wood in some fashion. I don't FB or tweet or all the rest except for family and our sons mostly "call Momma". To include a list of hobbies that are in the news and make comparisons makes for a well rounded conversation. I don't handle "one track mind" stuff that well and try not to explode real often.
    Not wear out the matter of differences between areas in the USA but some people do seem to think in opnly those terms applicable to their city life. In fact thats where most of the news comes from, upper east coast and left coast, covid virus or not it's an old story line.
    My favorite woods forum has various sections that make for talk on a variety of subjects, like foods, health & safety, etc.. Here on ADV it's set up to be either PTW's or JM or CSM.
    I gotta go cook my supper, bye!:wave
  6. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was out today in the car and stopped by Costco and decided to cash in a gift card for local taco joint. My motorcycle dealer was along the way and decided to pull into the parking lot. They were closed and the door was locked but ironically everyone was working inside. According to the website they are doing phone orders and selling motorcycles in peoples homes and delivering them. It obviously did not look busy but I guess its good everyone is still employed. The service department was open but fenced off. If you are dropping your bike off they will open the fence and help you off load it.

I really itching to go for a ride and I certainly see a lot of motorcycles out there. However I just don't want to do it without a purpose. I am sure in a few days my folks will need something and weather permitting I can do it on a scooter and get away with it.

Right now we are living the dream on our unemployment checks. Its not enough obviously so we had to take 2K out of savings. I least I got everything paid for this month and I paid some things like my HOA fees twice so I don't need to worry about it next month. Next month will be a light month. I looked at the application form for mortgage forbearance but it says they will happily defer your payments for up to 3 months however at the end of the 3 months you have to pay it all back. Like people are just going to magically have 3 payments worth of mortgage payments in 3 months? So we decided we will just pay our mortgage on schedule for as long as we can. The theory is we will be back to work by next month and perhaps even be a little ahead with the Uncle Sam stimulus checks coming in.

My wife is still in communication with her bosses and still on the payroll. So I give it about a 95% chance she will be back to work when this is over. Me I was totally laid off complete with a pink slip. Now getting the cobra stuff and the 401K stuff in the mail. I would say its a 50% chance I will be going back to the same employer. Not that I really liked the job in the 1st place and thinking about doing something different anyway but I certainly did not want to be forced into it over circumstances like this.

Still don't know about our antarctic trip in December? I think its increasingly likely we won't be going. We will have to formally cancel in June or July. As it stands right now we will get a refund minus a percentage of the deposit which would be about $2400. If the trip gets canceled by the cruise company we should get 100% of it back. At this point between the jobs situation and the expense plus if I get my old job back likely a reset in my vacation time we won't be able to do it anyway!
  7. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    9723EA34-D1F4-4F4C-A463-7D64C668DFDC.jpeg Small town USA taking “stay home” very seriously. Had to as tots of people are not heeding the rules. They try to go on as normal. I work in construction, delivery driver, and we have a hospital job still going. No social distancing that I see. Another job just shut down yesterday due to a positive case. NC just keeps pushing on and waiting too long to take action. Here’s a park pic. Keep in mind it has a paved walking trail for excersize.
  8. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim T likes this.
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Yep, tighter here today, as well: now, masks are required when in your vehicle if there are two people in the car. Recommended only one person in a vehicle. We already have the odd/even days for buying groceries (based on your license plate), no kids 14 or under in grocery or home goods stores, curfew from 11:30pm to 6:30am, no "non-essential" travel (being enforced with fines), masks required by everyone when out in public, etc, etc. Effective dates extended.
  10. Dr. John

Dr. John Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nicely done, no bullshit, no hysterics, no theories. Regarding the Sheriff.
    Salth2ofish likes this.
  11. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. They were having issues with people staying in the park when stay at home orders were given.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I am finding that Sarah and I are getting used to the new lifestyle brought on by the virus.

I continue to go to work at my office less than a mile from home.

There are only three people working there and I am alone on the second floor of the 95 year old house.

I say hello to the other two from a distance, touch nothing and wash my hands when entering.

Clients had rarely come by, but nobody comes now. The phone rarely rings, but work continues.

When I get home, we have a stay at home happy hour in the back yard with the dogs. Sometimes this includes phone calls, face time or zoom with the kids or friends.

Sarah usually cooks a fine dinner that we eat while binge watching TV.

I have gone through all of the good Garage Squads, now plowing through Downton Abbey.

Weekends find me riding my bicycle early in the morning, just after the sun brings the light. Then I spend the mornings doing yard work. This past weekend I washed all four scooters in the garage.

This isn’t terrible, but I miss the good old days.

Bill

E93FFA1D-5D84-41B6-8A64-D4540A73A4F1.png
    11 mile bicycle ride

CEBA0599-A1BA-4046-AD53-DBC8417E5C6D.jpeg
    Getting the scooters lined up for their wash

5BF4049C-682C-49F5-A3F2-4F243D4D3AAA.jpeg
    IPA for happy hour.
    MiniBike, budsboy, cabanza and 5 others like this.
  13. hwmarlow

hwmarlow Hank

Oddometer:
    "PTW's or JM or CSM" What to these acronyms mean?
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PTW = Powered Two Wheeler (I think)
    JM = Jo Momma (there are other sections of ADV, not just Battle Scooters)
    CSM = Church, State & Money ( another section of ADV, Trust me, you don't want to go there)
    hwmarlow, Salth2ofish and Dan V. like this.
  15. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am working full time at Lowes, The store is extremely busy and we are very short staffed. In WA state if you're making under a certain amount it pays more to be on unemployment that working because the government is throwing everything at you to sit home and not seek work.

An extra 600 dollars per week. I already did the math and I be making more on UI than working 40 hrs. How is that for incentive to come in during a pandemic???
    DragonJoe likes this.
  16. ChairCity

ChairCity n00b

Oddometer:
    One way I'm handling the change is to finally stop lurking and actually sign up.
    I live on a large rural island just outside of Seattle and Tacoma. My Scarabeo 150 is well suited for the island where the highest posted speed limit is 50 mph. The geography here was carved by glaciers, leaving lots of twisty roads, and picturesque woods have grown back where timber supplied boat builders a century ago. There are no bridges, so access for us hoi-polloi is by ferry, unlike the rare few who might fly by private helicopter. My rationale for getting the scooter two years ago was to be able to get ahead of the line of cars when boarding the ferry. Not too much worry lately, since I've been staying away from the mainland for three weeks after being told to work from home.
    I did go in to Seattle yesterday for essential travel to pick up equipment for my work. I wore a mask when I was among the lonely few in the passenger area, all far, far apart from each other. When I showed my ID to the guard at work I tugged the mask down and popped it back up, to the satisfaction of both of us. I have to admit, it felt good to have an excuse to be riding for the day. My wife was a bit worried when I first mentioned I'd be going to town, but was convinced that traffic has become so light that I was just as safe if not safer than here, where I have to practice social distancing from the over-population of deer, whose main predator is more likely to have four wheels than four paws.

Regards,
    A J

===
    MiniBike, scootaloo, CaptnJim and 3 others like this.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard, ChairCity. Good to have you participating. We spent 5 years working for a whale watch company in the San Juan Islands. The Washington State Ferry was our connection to the mainland (22 miles away). We actually enjoyed doing the ferries by scoot on a day off: you got to go to the front of the line, making you the first ones on, then first ones off at your destination. It eliminated the frequent hour and a half wait, even with the reservation system.

I understand that now isn't a great time to be dependent on the ferry, but... no crowds. You have to find the bright spots in the middle of this shit show. Glad to hear you got a ride in. Hope to see you here as a regular.
    CROSSBOLT and klaviator like this.
  18. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Speaking of someone of the Bee Gees era...

...that's clever. I like how they matched the falsetto key of the original...well done, well done!
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  19. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers Scared shiftless ! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s 75 degrees, sunny and the 10 day forecast says more of the same. I’m putting Sta-Bil in my gas tank.
    kpinvt likes this.
  20. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    A pal died recently and we weren't sure why. He and his wife are MD's so they knew what they were doing.
    This is part of her Facebook posting today -- "In light of this pandemic I feel I should share the following information on ***** passing: on March 1 we were in a large gathering of people. On March 3rd he developed a dry harsh cough but only coughed a few times a day. He had no obvious respiratory distress but found an albuterol inhaler helped his breathing. No unusual sounds on listening with a stethoscope. On March 23rd he complained of dizziness after breakfast and went to lay down. 4 hours later he came down, said he was still dizzy and to take his temperature. It was 101.9. He went back upstairs. 15 minutes later I went up to see him and he had died. The first case of Covid 19 In Michigan was reported March 10. So we didn’t think he had Covid. Now it is believed it has been here since January. As we’ve learned more about this virus it turns out ****** history is not that unusual for the corona virus: 10-20 days of dry cough and fatigue. Then rapid decompensation with temperature spike and death. Listen to the experts. Stay home."