COVID 19: How are you handling the changes?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 16, 2020.

1. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    I am self employed, I shut down my office, it will hurt financially. It needs to be done.

On a scooter note, I dropped by Scooterwest last Tuesday and picked up a belt kit for my GTS. They said they had a huge inventory, but I thought if Piaggio shuts down in Italy, there could be a problem. I have 3k miles on the bike, and at the rate I am piling on miles, it will be just a few months.

If I don't feel like doing it, Scooterwest said I could bring in the parts I bought and one of their mechs would be happy to install them.

Wanna keep this baby on the road!
    DandyDoug, The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  2. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like many my plans for the next two months have been totally disrupted. All our travel plans have either officially been cancelled or soon will be. Just waiting to see if Cunard will better their current offer since our date for that one is outside the current published shutdown dates. Our county has had 2 cases, neither of them residents here. First was a guy from California skiing at Keystone who had recently returned from Italy. The second works here but lives in Park County. Colorado governor shut down all ski resorts after 13 of a group of 16 Australians skiing in Aspen tested positive. Two of them broke quarantine to ski in Snowmass. That didn’t really affect us because Vail Resorts had already announced closures of all 37 of their resorts world wide.

Bigger problem is the county government first said everyone Including visitors has to say here with minimum contact with people outside their groups for 14 days. Restaurants would need to enforce “social distancing” and no more than 50 people in any given location. All recreation centers including Nordic skiing, ice rink, etc would be closed until at least April first.

Then less than 48 hours later said reversed themselves and said all visitors must leave by noon Thursday with all short term housing aka any rental less than 30 days must be vacated and kept empty until at least April 1 and a deep disinfectant cleaning must be done before they can be let again. Public transit would no longer run after close of business, Uber, Lyft and any other ride sharing prohibited. Airport shuttles could still run until Thursday morning but could only bring county residents back from the airport. As part of that announcement retail except gas stations, banks, grocery, liquor stores and dispensaries were to be closed at end of business day and not reopen until further notice. They did say restaurants could still do take out and delivery but most of the delivery here is done using Uber Eats or another similar service. They have for decades here urged people to take free public transit so many don’t own a vehicle unless you count bicycles. There are still several feet of snow on the ground and another 18” is expected over the next few days.

They did have to issue an amend about an hour later. The amended order allows other financial businesses, places that sell animal feed ((still active ranches and farms of both the commercial and hobby variety around here), vets, medical offices including physical therapists, hardware, auto repair shops (including dealer service but not sales departments). Other stores can take phone or online orders but either have to ship, home deliver or curbside pick up. All businesses except gas stations could only be open 7am to 8pm. Gas station pay at pump could operate normal hours.

This is an ‘Effie nightmare. Over a week ago I say an info graphic that showed previous pandemic-epidemic mentions in the press. SARS, MERS, Ebola and H1N1, even HIV all had less than 50 million each total, most less than half that. Covid-19 including coronavirus as alternative reference was at that point over 1 Billion press references. Given how it has exploded in the almost week since I saw it I expect that number to have increased exponentially.

One thing law school does is it teaches you how to research. So I’ve been doing mine using data from the John Hopkins dashboard compiled from WHO, CDC and other reputable sources. The two places I used for my own risk assessment are South Korea because they were early victims of the spread and I believe their reports to be more trustworthy than Chinas. They also have done more extensive testing of their population than other countries. There the infection rate is 1.7-1.9% of their total population with a mortality rate of those confirmed by test as infected of less than 0.9%

The second case I used was the Diamond Princess with its botched quarantine. Over 3,700 people on board the ship with normal interaction from the day they sailed from Hong Kong. Turned ont one of the passengers boarding in Hong Kong started displaying symptom of what was believed to be a mild cold on boarding that turned out to be Covaid-19. So here you have a Petri dish, captive population in a physically constrained location with extensive social interaction and a large number of workers living in shared quarters. So I’m thinking worst case scenario for spreading infectious disease, right. Well, tirns out not only did the vast majority not get it buy in a population where the average age was 58 the number of fatal outcomes was 7. Note. That was before it was discovered that several drugs developed to treat SARS, MERS and Ebola were effective in treating severe cases. That strong antivirals created for treating HIV secondary infections also reduced severity allowing recovery in hospitalized cases. Also effective are malaria, rheumatoid arthritis and MS drugs. Quinine based malaria drug in laboratory setting kills it completely and are starting patient trials. While Most may kill it completely they do reduce the severity allowing your immune system to do its thing. I could go on and on but I’ll leave it there other than give you links to my references.

John Hopkins Dashboard https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    Diamond Princess. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/16/diamond-princess-mysteries/

i
    n the meantime it has turned cold and windy so no more scooting for me until it warms up again after our projected storm. I’m on my 5th book and will probably start the third jigsaw puzzle later today. Walking the pup has been my only exercise.
    Blue&Yellow, OldCoot, Dan V. and 5 others like this.
  3. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I'm more concerned that we'll all be infected with the poisonous BS flying around that with this disease. The Grand Princess is sitting in SF Bay with the crew and 6 passengers inside, along with 70 medical personnel. The crew probably can't come ashore because of recent border closings (mostly Philippine citizens, undoubted without any sort of visas). It's the dark colored ship in the attached photo - it's actually white but the sun was behind it when I took the photo. That's downtown Oakland in the foreground and the hills of San Mateo County across the Bay.

I'm retired so I am not out of work, but I am out of patience. Already. The City of Oakland closed the library, a terrible idea. So I started picking at the accumulated crap in the garage. And I'm about to take a ride because the sun is out. Rolling along on the street seems about as "socially isolated" as you can get. IMG_20200316_160637281_HDR.jpg
    Dan V., CashCow, CaptnJim and 3 others like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I share your beliefs as Italy is shut down and it's a reach but Piaggio may run low on their parts so I ordered what I'll need for the summer. Safe riding this season.

Eric
    CashCow, cogitate and DandyDoug like this.
  5. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a follow up to what I said above it looks like I may be out of work in the next 24 to 48 hours. As more cities shut down its very likely the Seattle area and perhaps the whole state will do the same thing. My wife was laid off yesterday when the state closed restaurants and bars. She thought she would still get a few shifts here and there but all of her restaurants she works at have reported pointless sales under the carry out only program so most have decided to close completely and wait it out. She will be applying for unemployment tonight and it will help buy time. Hopefully I won't have to do the same thing in a few days!

We or mostly my wife has a generous amount in savings. I had it but hemorrhaged a lot of it when I had my stroke a few years ago and its been slow getting it back up with todays cost of living. I think with rationing we will be totally fine for the next 8 to 10 months with unemployment and savings but after that we will be running out of options. I am sitting on a lot of assets (motorcycles) but it would be a bad time to sell but if I have to I can pick some of them off for quick cash. Should not need to worry about that until after the 8 to 10 month period.

We actually were working on a trip to Antarctica for December of 2020. We paid the deposit plus a bit extra and bought the expensive but required trip insurance but 2 days after buying it they issued an amendment that they won't cover anything coronavirus related. We have not formally canceled since so far we don't need to do that and the hopes this all blows over by then. This decision will need to be made in July however like above so far the cruise company won't refund the hefty deposit. We have obviously decided not to fund it any longer until this blows over or we cancel out.

I am not a religious person but I hope and pray that this crisis does not carry on for a long time. The damage that has already been done will last a long time and we have not even reached the halfway point yet. All this government overreach is ridiculous and concerning. As people start to go hungry and can't get food I see rioting in the streets.

My next bike purchase is to be the CT125. Its still on for now but I am hoping it gets pushed back a bit. I have slowly saved about $1200 in pocket change for it but I may have to use that for a future mortgage payment. As usual I am dooming and glooming it since having that sort of attitude will help you be smart from it. May god help us all if this carries on for many week(s) or even month(s)!
    MiniBike and CashCow like this.
  6. cdwise

Oddometer:
    The economic chaos will be far worse than the disease. One of my kids was scheduled to start a new job. That’s on hold and may yet fall through. The other is expecting to be of furlough any day now. No unemployment for either. We are retired and other than our scheduled trip cancellation the biggest impact has been to our retirement account balances. Fortunately we can afford to wait a few years for market recovery but if the economy keeps tanking who knows. We had planned to put our Houston house on the market this summer but we’ll be holding off on that now until we see how things go.
  7. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I mentioned the meal situation in the schools where our daughter and son-in-law work. This afternoon, that district asked for volunteers to hand out food tomorrow... 3 from each school. Our son-in-law called and his school already has their three. Our daughter called... and she will be going to school tomorrow to hand out food. Can't say I'm excited about her going there, but we understand. Hourly school workers will be paid for the near term. Yearly contract (teachers and admin) will have to burn their sick days for now. This has all come together over the past few days - seems like the school admins have been working overtime to come up with a plan... and then a new plan when the State changes their plan.

Last report put 20 cases in AZ, with 9 in Maricopa County. The City of Phoenix just declared a State of Emergency: bars and restaurants will be closed by 8:00 this evening; with restaurants being allowed to do take-out.

Things are changing by the hour.
    MiniBike, Dan V. and CashCow like this.
  8. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers Scared shiftless ! Supporter

Oddometer:
    General Quarters!
    kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  9. scootaloo

scootaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're all a little numb here on "the shore"... we're newly retired and doin ok but really worried for all the friends and family that are going through a bad time. Happy to say we've got a great Gov here who's showing real leadership just when we need it most. No question we'll get thru all this, it's what we do in this country. It's not going to be easy, it's not going to be over fast, but we'll muddle through it and come out a little tougher on the other side. And thankfully some days we can just throw on a helmet, find a new road to check out (or an old familiar one) and escape every now and then.
  10. dbeth

dbeth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    School got shut down across the state beginning tomorrow, but we closed (along with many many others around us) abruptly Sunday night when gatherings over 50 people were banned. We didn't go in yesterday (my wife and I teach HS), but were in from 9:30-6pm today being available for students to pick up materials for the next 3 weeks. We are asked to not move on in learning due to many students in our district not having online access or other issues they may not have to deal with (like childcare for siblings while parents work). I am partnered with a local 4-year university as all the classes I teach are dual-credit (statistics, calculus 1, calculus 2), so I have to have a plan to continue teaching my students remotely for the foreseeable future, as well as a plan to properly assess these students to give them a grade. I sort of have a plan for getting them instruction, but assessing is a totally different story at this point.

The saddest part about seeing students come in to my classroom 1 to 2 students at a time over the 6 hours this afternoon was how scared they were. They didn't want to leave the building. They wanted to talk. They wanted me/us to know what was going to happen; we always have the answers in their eyes, and this time, we don't. I hurt for my seniors. They just walked in like zombies. Our notification that schools were being closed came down at 4:30 Friday evening, after school was done. Some of my students told me that they may have just had their last class with their classmates of the past 12+ years, and didn't know it at the time. It's been rough on them. They started their lives around 9/11, and end their schooling in a pandemic, and always knowing of us in a war somewhere. I don't know what any of it means, but it sure is going to shape some sort of societal worldview for them someday soon.

As for me scooting, as long as we don't get some shelter in place directive in southern WI here while we're off, I plan to self-isolate on my XMax any time the temp gets over 40 degrees. The scooter is sitting in the garage waiting....
    cbr600, OldCoot, kpinvt and 4 others like this.
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    That's my situation, right down to the MREs. I loaded up with canned goods to the extent I could; and when they're gone I'll start on my (aging)MRE stash. They're getting old, anyway - time to use up and replace.

Retired a year ago, early. Pension is Railroad Retirement; and this chaos around FedGov has me really uneasy. Not for the next month's check, but for changes in eligibility due to "budget issues." They once lowered the eligibility age, and they can raise it as easy.

I go out every day for an hour's power-walk...but right now, the weather hasn't been good for riding. Later? Not sure I want to be out on the streets like that...too much can happen.

I'm hoping to dodge this mess until it burns out or some sort of treatment emerges. I just hope this doesn't play out like Earth Abides or The Stand.
    CashCow likes this.
  12. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Colorado is making meals available for pick up to families that qualify for free or reduced price lunches. Several churches are also providing additional food pantries as their normal weekly free dinners are under temporary suspension. Schools here are closed at least until April 1
    CashCow likes this.
  13. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    our six year old g-daughter is bummed school is closed; 12 year old sister and 16 year old cousin.. "lets ride!"
    CashCow likes this.
  14. cdwise

Oddometer:
    A lot of online education companies are offering free resources for kids out of school. Scholastic is one of them.
    CashCow likes this.
  15. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Counties north and south are now in lockdown. I work in surgery, we’re closed for all elective cases. Gonna take a ride on the Cross Check tomorrow while I can! Already got a century I signed on for Saturday get canceled. I’ll be compliant. Solitary, bring lunch with me!
    Gotta choose between the Gt 200 and pedaling.ill let the weather choose.

Attached Files:

16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    well Bc canada called it No more clubs / restuand etc unless they can seat people 3 feet between them. I m a stand up comic and I was going to go do a show Tues night and I knew more then likely it was the last one but didn't . I was going to go on stage no say a word , Clean the whole stage , mike and stand . Wrap myself in cling rap , put on condoms on my hands and one on the mike . Then pull out a corona say All this because people are aferad of Mexican beer. It only make you feel like you have the flue . I know it's in bad taste but most of you imagining that are at least giving a little laughter. Here a fun fact The same time this virus is hitting here is when Algery season is starting up . I had a book store almost to myself today. weds I ll get a tank of gas for the bike , do a few things and go back to living my slightly austic life . It's not like I really need other people around me to be happy , happy , happy.
    MiniBike, Dan V. and CashCow like this.
  17. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Last night, my Mother decided to call off even the internment ceremony for Dad.

She is 93 and afraid to leave the house as well as seeing visitors.

We had already postponed a memorial service at their church.

And the park where Sam and Sara were to get married canceled, so they are on hold.

I miss the good old days.

Bill
    Ride2Live/Live2Ride likes this.
  18. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about those upheavals, Bill. You have had your fill lately.

I somehow feel as if this is all some social experiment - to put us all in one class so to speak. Not very nice is it?

I was going to post more to this thread yesterday, but in looking it over I felt it was a little too much CSM. I really like our BS community, and didn't want any hint of "tribalism" affecting our feelings for each other. I started it off by thanking you for calling the virus by its proper name.....

Very interesting link on the cruise ship, Cheryl. So if the experts figure out all the issues related to the Covid 19, what happens when it mutates for the next season?

Hoping you all get the chance to get out and punch holes in the wind :clap.
    cdwise and CashCow like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    As I left the house for work this morning, my talk with Sarah included something we will be doing to entertain ourselves.

Weekend scooter rides to enjoy picnics somewhere within the North Florida area.

The locations we choose just got more limited because they closed the parks, but I am sure we can find something.

Bill
  20. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Corona viruses are not new, approximately 40% of common colds are caused by them. Interesting trivia is that colds caused by corona viruses are almost always winter strains while rhinovirus ones are spring through fall. MERS which is far more deadly and SARS are both corona viruses. Drugs developed to treat them are showing effectiveness in treating Covad-19. Other antivirals And treatments for HIV are also working to reduce the severity and get people off ventilators. Malaria drugs both quinine and newest synthetics used as preventatives have killed it completely in lab setting and trails in animals and people are starting. What I found surprising is that rheumatoid arthritis and MS drugs are also working in reducing severity for people who are hospitalized. None of these can claim to be cures as that takes properly conducted clinical trials but real world “off label” use is showing effectiveness. If it mutates we will do like we do with other strains of viruses that cause influenza (like the ones that kill 10 of thousands every year in this country alone) we will try to create annual vaccines against our best guess on how it will mutate. Hopefully China as the source of not only this virus but also previous epidemics of SARS, bird flu and earlier influenza pandemics in 1957 and 1968 will continue to clean up their act. They have started regulating the markets where species crossovers have occurred but there are still people violating the regulations. They are working hard to understand and prevent spread of viruses because even ones that don’t originate in China like last years swine flu that wiped out nearly half of China’s pigs can have devastating effects on their population and economy. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/10/world/asia/china-epidemics-coronavirus.html

A
    nyway the world can’t do this sort of lockdown regularly so we will have to come up with better ways to handle things like this. It isn’t the Spanish is Flu of 1918. Healthcare and science have improved a lot since then. Seasonal allergies bother me far more right now than fear of this disease and like many here I’m in a higher risk category. Sure will be glad when this is over and we can try to repair the resulting devastation to the world economies.

One positive outcome may well be the return to the US of drug manufacturing as few people had realized how dependent we had become on China and to a lesser degree India to make drugs developed here. The last US penicillin factory for example closed under Obama.

On a side note it is almost amusing how European countries have rediscovered and closed borders In a sad ironic sort of way.