COVID 19: How are you handling the changes?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 16, 2020.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume you are referring to Schengen, which is an area within the EU. Borders have always existed even within the Schengen area and have been open and closed on various occasions during the last decades. Having an open border makes zero difference to the transmission of a virus. Millions of people travel everyday in Europe, many in the Schengen zone. If there were border checks between Schengen zone countries, they would be checking an id card or passport at the border control, in the same way as in any other part of the world. The viruses don't need any of these documents and would freely travel on the bodies of these people anyway. So, it's a fallacy that a border will stop the transmission of such an infection. The UK for example, isn't part of the Schengen zone and has full border control at its airports and ports. Yet it has one of the highest infection rates in Europe. Further afield is the US with its strict border controls lauded by Trump and yet it will probably end up having the largest infection rates outside of China. The excuse that borders are symptomatic to spread of disease is normally one spread by xenophobes for their own agendas.
  2. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I've been mostly just stayin' at home doing a self quarantine as much as possible....have head cold symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, sinus headaches, body aches, etc. but no fever. Could be the flu or not...I dunno. Getting better but not at 100% yet.

The weather has been iffy with heavy dark clouds that could rain any minute but hasn't so I'm not out riding but I'd like to. :ricky
  3. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom Hanks has already had it and recovered. You can't?

I'm almost positive my daughter had it a month and a half ago. All symptoms were similar but they weren't testing in the states yet.

She did test positive for flu A. She was having problems breathing plus the rest of the flu symptoms.

Got medicine, she got rested and taken care of by us and she's fine. My wife and I had low grade cold symptoms afterwards.
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a hope for the best, prepare for the worst kind of guy.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're post sounded the opposite!
  6. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    We're seeing all sorts of responses to this right here and all over the world. It's interesting to me that this sort of event really brings out what kind of person our political leaders really are, and how well they communicate with the rest of us. The knee jerk reaction of closing borders rarely is effective for more than some delay in the spread of viruses. They are tough and travel fast, just like humans, and keep mutating to get ahead of the immune systems of their hosts (in this case, us). And blaming something or someone is both a waste of time and childish. The virus is here, it is active and durable, and we have to deal with it in the present, not the past.

This is our country. There are lots of people here, 330,000,000, third biggest population on earth. We can argue among ourselves about the proper role of government and we can accuse each other of trying to boss each other around, or we can actually do something to make sure people have enough to eat, safe shelter, help with children, and basic health support. If you have those things, congratulations. If not the rest of us have to help.
    DandyDoug, kpinvt and The Virginian like this.
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been traveling to Europe for nearly 50 years before and after Schengen. I think visaless travel between countries is in general a good thing. I happen to agree with a lot of what you say. I have noted though that Germany, France, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, and many other countries in Europe have in fact closed borders prohibiting travel between neighboring countries
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51905129

If I recall correctly Switzerland a non Schengen country was the first to close it's border with Italy

In fact just hours ago the EU suspended Schengen for 30 days. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/breaking-eu-decides-to-close-all-schengen-borders-for-30-days/

I've been looking at Taiwan this morning. Other than closing borders to level 3 countries and limiting travel for pleasure they are going about business more or less as normal with the exception of almost everyone wearing masks in public. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-taiwan-case-study-rapid-response-containment-2020-3 They have a 0.000259% mortality rate which is damned impressive.
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, when I posted that I was actively in the prepare for the worst stage.
  9. Dogrich

Dogrich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a teacher in PA. With all our schools shut down over the next two weeks (and likely longer), I think solo motorcycle/scooter rides will be therapeutic for me. Great for social distancing, lol! I just have to get me a scooter now!
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but that's to stop non-EU nationals entering the Schengen zone, here is the quote from the link you posted:

"The travel ban will affect all non-EU nationals from visiting the bloc, except long-term residents, family members of EU nationals and diplomats, cross-border and healthcare workers, and people transporting goods."

EU nationals can travel within the Schengen zone unless a particular country has imposed specific restrictions.
  11. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Well have haves closed borders to at least one or more Schengen members and others are apparently planning on doing so soon.
  12. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Borders are being closed in Europe, not just in Schengen countries in order to protect the various health systems from getting overloaded. Each country plans to deal with its own population. The US has closed its border with Canada also. Many African countries have done the same. Schengen as a concept is irrelevant in the current situation.
  13. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 yo positive in Ohio. France and Italy say it is spreading to teens who refuse to take precautions.
  14. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to make light of those that are suffering, but some interesting treatments have shown promise - like quinine meds that treat the malaria parasite. So often, effective cures come from seemingly unrelated methods. Hopefully this will happen - almost like finding out that Slim Whitman crooning causes Martian heads to explode :permazot.
    kpinvt likes this.
  15. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazingly we have not been shut down yet at work but I expect it any day now. Might as well since it is dead slow. We would actually be better off shutting down and paying people a regular salary for a few weeks time like a lot of companies. Instead they are trying to stay open but thought it be best that they cut hours. If you don't have medical insurance its 30 hours a week and if you have it its 35 hours. I am now pegged at 35 hours since I have medical insurance. Last Friday they cut out my overtime but was still able to keep 40 hours. So this is just getting worse and worse. I am thinking we will shut down when the government shuts us down and we will get no pay!

My wife picked up a shift at the restaurant last night last night and they did pretty well for take out only. Unfortunately it may be the only shift she gets as they are dividing them evenly. We got her unemployment insurance situated but waiting for state approval. My luck with the unemployment office is not real good. Way to much bureaucracy!

Looks like we are heading straight to savings. With the little to no hours my wife is getting and my tiny paychecks we will be short. Will find out in a day or so just how bad? The $1,000 checks the feds are talking about sending out will certainly help but depending on how long this goes on for hopefully we some short term mortgage relief. My loss of hours is only for a few weeks they say but they will reevaluate it on April 1st. I am of coarse deeply concerned it will become the new normal and I am willing to bet real money it will be long time if ever I see my overtime.

I don't think I am alone out there currently. Actually probably better off then many. I think this will be such a huge mess I see some sort of reset coming a long. Exactly how that will work I have no idea!
  16. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wait until Spring Break is over in the US. Some college kids continue to congregate.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My 68 year old neighbour just got out of the hospital (leg artery surgery) and had a big desire for a McDonalds Quarter Pounder with Cheese. I used a 2 for 1 coupon to go get it for her.

The seats in the McDonalds were taped in 8 layers of pink safety tape so that you could not sit inside.

The Quarter Pounder should have had the safety tape. My stomach hurts from that crap.
    cbr600, Dan V. and Krons like this.
  18. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I ordered a bunch of Forza 300 parts from ebay. I paid for everything. I doubt if I will get anything.
  19. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    I retired from the Vermont State Hospital on February 1st and have been trying to stay home or at least away from crowded places. I'm very happy I don't have to work there anymore, I was considered by the state of VT to be an "essential employee" meaning now matter how bad things were I had to go to work. The place was shorthanded when I left and I would probably be looking at strings of 12 hour shifts with very little time off right now. My 91 year old Mother in NYC is right on top of this situation, she won't let anyone into the house except to drop off groceries in the doorway and absolutely no contact with grand or great grandkids. She told me she is one of the people the virus is looking for. One sister is in FL vacationing with my BIL at our Mom's condo in Indialantic and the other is still working as an RN supervisor at a nursing home in NYC and her husband who works for the FDNY as a chauffeur (drives the ladder truck) is required to retire this April as he has aged out of the job. I worry about the sister who is still working with a vulnerable population in the nursing home. We have to Flatten the Curve https://www.flattenthecurve.com . Flattening the curve is not a quick fix, it might slow the rate of new infections long enough to let us get remedies going to immediate problems, to get going before there is a nationwide crush for resources.
  20. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Reading Facebook a local liquor store is offering curb side pick up. Text your order with a photo of your drivers license for age verification. They will then bring it and the credit card machine to your car. One comment was “Dale, I can do deliveries for you on my scooter” with a photo of his bright yellow scooter (probably Chinese but small photo through a door so can’t be certain) That offer is danged generous considering it was 26f with gusting winds before it started snowing late afternoon.
    klaviator, Dan V. and CashCow like this.