COVID 19: How are you handling the changes?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 16, 2020.

1. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Some of you know that we volunteer in our daughter's classroom when we're here in the desert. Of course, school is closed right now, with no definite timeframe on re-opening. 85+% of the kids in that school are on free or reduced lunch and all students get free breakfast. That is two meals a day those kids can count on. Yesterday, the school admin decided to offer food to those families, based on children under 18. Today, our daughter volunteered to help with that... only 3 volunteers on two different shifts were allowed (to keep contact down), as well as the food staff (non-food-staff are not allowed to handle food). The families just had to show up by car... hundreds showed up. In the rain. Steph's principal was directing traffic; Steph (our daughter) was the go-fer/coordinator to keep things flowing. More people showed up than anticipated, and at the proposed cut-off time, it was estimated that there were still 140 cars in line. The workers and volunteers kept going.

I have serious concerns for the families of not just this school, but all those kids who depend on the support provided by their school. This school even has a summer program where the kids can come in for breakfast and take a lunch with them. There is a rumble that school may not restart until late July (their normal start time for the new school year). It is hard to learn on an empty belly.

The word we are getting from back home (South Padre Island area) is the spring break kids are still gathering. The city is shutting down all bars and restaurants tonight at 10:00pm. As of now, they can re-open as long as they can keep patrons 8 feet apart. No bands, no DJs. The first confirmed CV case has been reported there; that person has gone back to Michigan. All kinds of contact while in SPI.

Handling changes? I tend to be a hand-shaking, hugging kinda guy. Changes are happening at a rapid pace. I think the Blonde has gone to high alert... she is tough, but is worried about me. I caught some kind of bug (probably when we were around the school kids) and have had a crappy cold. I have asthma, so any malady tends to make that flare up. She knows that puts me in a higher risk group and has "grounded" me from going to the store, picking up food, etc.
  2. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    By buying a new scooter....2020 Yamaha Freego 125 for my better half in Khon Kaen Thailand...
    her birthday present....

Just might be a while before I get to ride it....

Buying a new motorbike always makes you feel better....

Was to fly to Thailand on the 29th ... but that's off now...

klaviator, Dan V. and CashCow like this.
  3. KansasKawboy

KansasKawboy KK

Oddometer:
    Do you know which RA drugs are working?
  4. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of schools and younger children; I was aware of the breakfast and lunch programs. Just not aware of the magnitude of this problem.
    We as a country need to wake up to this issue and fix it for crying out loud. This situation is should not be happening when so much food is wasted every day. The fact that kids must depend on schools to feed them is wrong on so many levels .
    My younger daughter teaches 5th grade at a school in a great area but is populated by a larger group of low income families.
    She told me a story about one girl who she feeds supper to on an almost daily basis and the struggle her family has to make ends meet. I was so sad hearing this , proud of my kid , but still saddened .
    We can do better, all of us.
    Not some of us , all of us.
    PullingG's, CashCow, Wentwest and 4 others like this.
  5. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gun sales in my area up . Makes one ponder the future?
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The statistic I heard on the news last night is 40% of the brisk gun & ammo sales were to first time firearm purchasers. As a Range Officer, that statistic kinda scares me. Lots of folks are not getting the proper instruction, I’m sure.
    MiniBike, Krons, Wentwest and 3 others like this.
  7. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup!
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Just what I need to sit in McDonalds and eat my Big Mac in peace.
    tonymarchman, CashCow and Bueller like this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't sit INSIDE a McDonald's any more, have to use the drive by window.
    CashCow and davenowherejones like this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    It is important to protect your toilet paper, at all costs.
  11. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's been lots of fun to blame our government for everything, and to say that the government is the enemy, but when the stuff really hits the fan who do we look to? The government. Just saying.

I'm handling this by doing a chore a day that I have been avoiding. Cleaned up some of my mess in the garage, and today I'm overhauling our insurance package - house, cars, bike, etc. Goodbye Nationwide, hello Geico. Hours of soul crushing detail work. Yuch. I'd rather clean the garage.
  12. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for Geico, but I think you made a good choice to move away from NW. I still have everything insured with them (House, RV, Truck, 3 cars, 3 scooters, Honda SxS, Umbrella, and Pet insurance), and am spending almost $10k a year in premiums. They have gotten to be very expensive and I don't see the value anymore. They were never the cheapest but the combination of liberal policies compared to many other insurers and great service were worth the extra coin. Not anymore. I will be moving all of my business in the not too distant future.
    Wentwest and CashCow like this.
  13. Bueller

Oddometer:
    We did not join the toilet paper stampede. Fortunately there is just the two of us and she had purchased a 24 pack right before this all kicked into high gear.

Around noon a couple of my RV park friends/neighbors came back from shopping at Walmart. They said the store had toilet paper, the employees were restocking the shelves and limiting customers to one package each. I got to Walmart about an hour later. It was all gone again :bluduh
    tonymarchman and CashCow like this.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CashCow likes this.
  15. cdwise

Oddometer:

I was reading articles about the shock those first time buyers were experiencing that all purchases have Tobe background checked and many jurisdictions have 3-10 day waiting periods between purchase and pick up. The even greater shock that you can't buy online and have it shipped to you. One guy was flabbergasted when he bought a gun online delivered per federal law go a local licensed fire arms dealer in Connecticut when he was asked for his firearm permit. The buyer said but I don't intend to carry just keep it in the house. Dealer replied that under Connecticut law I have to see you permit before I can give it to you. So the guy asked how and here to get the permit. The response was it takes a minimum of 10 from the time you complete your paperwand turn it in for the state to process. Right now they are running more than 30 days to process if there are no issues with your application. Colorado normally has 5 background checks or less in queue. Saturday they had over 1,900 with wait time going from 5-10 minutes to over 13 hours.

My husband is acting Chief Range Safety Officer while the person who normally has the job is recovering from surgery. Attendance at the range on pistol and rifle ranges has doubled. It was still open as stations are more than 6' apart. Even with it currently snowing I'll bet if we drove over there would be people using it. I do know if there became a meat shortage a little out of season sharingof deer, elk and moose would likely happen. Fortunately, the shops here still have plenty. Heck, there was even TP available in the afternoon.
    DandyDoug, Bueller and Krons like this.
  16. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This social distancing thing is certainly not in the normal human programming. My mother made some delicious home made enchiladas yesterday. Normally I would hope on a scooter and head over for some grub. However because my parents are in the 70's and have some high risk health issues I could not come over. So this evening I am stopping by on the bike and when I arrive I will call my folks and tell them I am here. They will then set the enchiladas in a container for me on the porch for me to take home and warm up. It makes sense currently but its as if one of us (Likely me) has some sort of infectious decease...OH WAIT!

Really curious how they plan to stop us bikers from going out and enjoying ourselves if they tell us to stay home? It seems very un-American even now to stop someone who is just enjoying himself on his bike. I really don't think a solo motorcycle rider would be of any real risk to anyone even if they did have it and like not at risk of catching it. With Spring practically here it will be hard to stay inside when you get that first truly spring day!
  17. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working from home now. Go to the office a few times per week to sign and seal deliverables. I expect the deliverables process to be revised soon so I will not have to appear at the office.
    -during time off, I will be doing corrosion control on our scooters. They have been ridden on the beach a lot.
    DandyDoug and CashCow like this.
  18. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think going for a ride is a bad idea. Truckers are still trucking for now but it's feeling weird out here. I'm sick and tired of most people and this rain this never ending blanking rain.
    kantuckid likes this.
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    in Colorado they are encouraging outdoor activities as long as you limit it to solo, family or roommates. During our spell of mid 40s weather I wasn’t the only one out on two wheels with and without a motor.
  20. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today during one of my many trips to either pick up or transfer tires, I passed by "The OLD RICHMOND" grill. A real old greasy spoon kind of place that loads of older folks love around here.
    Since they can no longer have inside service ( I cannot in good taste call it dinning ) . So to get around the rules , they set up some picnic tables in the parking lot right next to the road. All the old guy's were sitting there cheek to cheek wolfing down part of their daily ration of grease.
    No social distancing evident that I could see.
    This is not helping and I thought they were all supposed to stay home.
    I'm in that age group , but still showed up for work so I guess I'm not helping either.
    Dan V. and klaviator like this.