CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    OK. but i have to pick up a DC charger since the medistrom didn't come with one. and i' a little illiterate with this stuff so i am not condident in finding one.
    was there a vendor i should check out? i think there was some site that was like a dudes first and last name or something that had a lot of motorcycle electrical stuff...?
  2. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got lithium Ion between my Legs!!!!

My new tag line!

Thanks Jabba. Too bad radio shack went out of business. Been $1.89 and take 136 secs.
  3. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Hang on- I'll snap a pic of the one I use
  4. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Two cables on the left should have come with the battery. AC with brick, and the DC cable with the same plug at the end to go into the charge port. 20190621_215111.jpg
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  5. Jabba

Oddometer:
    This is the DC adapter you need to source- it will mate up as shown with the yellow terminal on the other end of the cable that attaches to the battery. Mine does not have any label on it- but I think I found it on Amazon for a lot less than the official "Dreamstation" branded one that Phillip's offers. 20190621_215128.jpg 20190621_215148.jpg
  6. Jabba

Oddometer:
  7. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Air mini battery ie Pilot 24 is 24v so that adapter wont work,only 12v input!! Thats why I made this!!! 12v to 24v step up converter, I charge the Pilot 24 battery while on the road via the Anderson plug wired into the bike
    [​IMG]
  8. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Here is my camping set up in situ!!
    [​IMG]
    Nicad likes this.
  9. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Incorrect!! The Medistrom battery for a Air mini is 24v output and also 24v charge input,:deal
    This is the charger for the Pilot 24 battery and I can assure you the output from the charger is 24v!!
    [​IMG]
  10. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    20190622_155425.jpg
    I could not find a proprietary cable to suit, hence I sourced the components and made one!!
  11. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    As an aside ,and a mini review......................
    I was one of the first in Australia to receive an Air mini and this machine is my primary and only machine and has over 6000 sleep hours on it, with no issues at all!:clap
    I have used it extensively while travelling here, both in accomodation,AC, and remote off grid camping,DC
    Its also been to China, Indonesia and Singapore!
    I love it!!!:wings:rayof:rilla........and so does my partner!!:evil

[​IMG]
  12. Jabba

Oddometer:
    I was unaware of the 24V version- as mine is a 12V. Motorcycles and damned near everything else is 12V- so I wouldn't buy a machine that uses 24V. I can't imagine why they even make one in that voltage- perhaps it allows them to downsize the compressor? The Dreamstation is 12V- so no need for a brick- just a simple cable between the (12V) Medistrom and the CPAP.

Sorry for the confusion- the image of the face of his Medistrom and mine match, so I assumed they were the same.

For motorcycle travel, a 12V machine like the Dreamstation and a 12V battery with voltage regulator which allows direct cable input is a very clean and simple set-up, requiring just a power cable and a charger cable.
    FredRydr and sidetrack one like this.
  13. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Does the Dreamstation CPAP motor and electronics operate directly off 12 volts, or is there inside the Dreamstation's housing additional converter, inverter or transformer circuitry to turn 12 volts to something else?
  14. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand it’s 12v. I can run mine from a 12v cig lighter from my bike or from my 12v Medistrom battery.
    When I use it at home on 120, the power cord has some kind of 120 to 12 v transformer.

But I’m by no means a electrician.
  15. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    I ask because the latter will draw a battery down to convert voltage as well as run the CPAP functions.

And this is the full-size "DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine" and not the compact "DreamStation Go Auto Travel CPAP machine," right?
  16. Jabba

Oddometer:
    I don't know why they would convert it internally. All the ones I've seen do that with a brick inline on the power cord. This is the standard home Dreamstation- not the Go. All that is needed from a 12V battery is a straight cord.
  17. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Because so many components assembled into these machines run on 24 volts, and it could be cheaper to incorporate the power source internally where there's room in a full-size housing.

I ask retailers this question and invariably they don't know and only read what we see on the internet. I email manufacturers and I don't get satisfactory answers, probably because I'm not getting through to the tech people. But so far, the venerable DeVilbiss Standard and hopefully the DreamStation full-size machine are the 12-volt candidates. Others have to eat 12-volt battery power converting voltage.
  18. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Evidence I can give you is less than half the power is used at a setting of 10 on standard cpap for 6 1/2 or 7 hrs of sleep with the Medistrom 12V battery on the Dreamstation. No humidifier, all extra functions (ramp etc) turned off. I hope that helps you discover the answer.
  19. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I know I saw some folks discuss recharging the Poweradd off the bike but I'm not sure I can find the specific posts. I'm looking to see what you guys run for cables from the SAE connection to the Poweradd. I can probably figure out something but I'm at work and got a trip coming up soon and just wondering if there are pics or posts you guys can recommend?
  20. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got the DreamWisp nasal mask. Gonna try it out tonight.