CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I was able to cobble something up from spare electronic parts I had laying around. Recharging great off the bike! 20190629_095421.jpg
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Oh, and also bought an EarthX size 36 battery before this trip and works fantastic.
  3. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a week's trip with my Resmed Air10. I carried a deep cycle 12vt battery and choked down my disgust at the cost and bought Resmed's 12 to 24 v converter. I added a "voltage sensitive relay" to the bike and used SAE wiring, plugs and sockets throughout. It all worked a treat. The battery, on home-testing, lasted about 20.5 hours of use. Charging each day on the trip, the battery started each night at top capacity. Next morning it was still over half-charged.
  4. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    here is the DC charger for the medistrom 24 volt battery. you have to make sure you order the LITE which is for the current medistrom 24 V battery. don’t order the plus it is for an older battery.

supposedly it is 5-7 hours of charging via DC to top off the lofta.

the cable that came with the medistrom battery will charge the medistrom in 2 hours. so presumably you could almost get it half full just at lunch. this is a 90 W AC charger.

the cable that powers the air mini is 20 W and will charge the lofta in 7+ hours - if you put the battery inline with the air mini with an adapter.

but since you have a 90W AC cord that comes with the lofta you can leave the “slow charge” air mini DC cable at home.

just be sure to bring the adapter to get from the battery to the air mini.

not sure if folks are packing the air mini DC cable for backup but it would be a bitch to lose any of these cords.

hope that makes sense.

Attached Files:

5. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, how did it go? I am using a full face mask and sometimes it is a pain.
  6. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    here is a visual update on the air mini.

first image is the air mini, adapter for battery, lofta 24V battery and the 90W airsense 10 (which will charge the lofta battery in a little over 2 hours.

next image is a DC charger for the lofta battery (you need the “lite” one for the lofts battery. $35

next image is the DC adapter for the air mini which i am going to try to return since i can’t see a use for it. $100 something.

next image is the DC power cord that comes with the lofta. it is like 35 W and will take 7 hours to charge so i am leaving it at home despite its smaller size.

then there is an adapter that seems to go from DC in to DC out. can’t remember what that one is for.

Attached Files:

7. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    gents
    anyone know what these two cables are for? one came with the mini and seems like it is DC In one side and DC Out the other side?
    the other i had with a very long cigarette plug extension and the resmed 10 DC cord (cigarette plug male to DC In at the rearmed 10). this oem seems like it is cigarette plug female on one end and DC In on the other?!
    anyone know when i would use either of these two?
    THANKS

Attached Files:

8. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I'm about due to replace my 8-year-old ResMed S9 (a good bedside machine that is no longer made). There are plenty of retailer sites comparing the CPAP machines they sell. Has anyone found an unbiased professional source for independent comparison, review and rating of CPAPs? In other words, a Consumer Reports or Which? equivalent for medical devices.
  9. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    What model is that?
  10. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred, get the Airsense 10 Autoset, and don't look back. The newer Resmed is a bit quieter, more compact, ha full data and continue to provide the bilevel qualty EPR of up to 3-cm. Nothing else has improved on it, and you sure don't want a Dreamstation or one of the Chinese imports.
  11. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Having just gone thru an update- and having had EXCELLENT luck with the S8 and S9, I will tell you to RUN THE OTHER WAY from the S10 and buy the Dreamstation! Yeah, it is just slightly louder- but it is so much better in every other way- the tank is easy to remove and fill. The travel/cable/battery arrangement is simpler. The menu can be navigated. I went thru 3 S10 machines and finally gave up. The S9 was a fine machine- the heated hose was a major upgrade- but the S10 is a TURD. That humidifier that plugs into the end is a horrible idea. My units pulsed and could not deliver a steady stream of air. I think I get my best sleep ever with this Dreamstation- and for bike travel/camping- it is so much nicer to have a DC based system and not need to deal with two "bricks".
  12. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    According to CPAP.com (a retailer website), the decibel specs put the Dreamstation quieter, 25.8dBA versus 26.6dBA. Could it be your hose and mask? I wear a P10 nose pillow which I chose for how quiet it is. I am leaning towards the Dreamstation Pro, but I still wanted to see objective comparison data without regard to its 12v advantage.
  13. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Slightly louder is my personal experience
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I use a dreamstation at home and with the humidifier it's very very quiet. When I use it camping, it's kinda loud imo (using a nasal pillow mask) but maybe a different mask would help?

I'm 95% sure I'm going to pick up a second dreamstation w/o the humidifier to use as my travel machine. I'm on the road overnight at least 25 times a year for work, and we like to camp and travel as a family, so I really want a second machine that can run on 12V.
  15. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    What happened? Facts are good.
  16. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    "Dreamstation is the best"...no...wait..."Dreamstation is the worst."

What's the truth? Just the facts.

upload_2019-7-19_16-23-28.jpeg
    Baroquenride likes this.
  17. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Lithium battery, short cable, Dreamstation. That's the best combo I've had in 15 years of using, riding and camping with these things. I loved my S9- but two bricks on a bike trip when you are gonna mix camping and hotels? F that~

Same cable that runs my heated jacket charges my battery. Straight cable with no brick added to my kit and I can stay in a hotel. AND- The S10 sucks. Can't deliver a smooth flow of air at home- so why own it?
    JRWooden and MUDHWY like this.
  18. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    @TomInCA Tom, seriously. The Dreamstation seems to fit the bill in so many ways, so what happened to you with a Dreamstation?
    MUDHWY likes this.
  19. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a moderator on Apnea Board and have reviewed thousands of individual's results on many model s of equipment. With a Dreamstation auto CPAP or BiPAP, I know the pressure must be optimized by increasing minimum pressure to near the 90th percentile of required pressure to prevent significantly more flow limitations, snores, RERA, hypopnea, and even obstructive apnea, because the machine is very slow to respond to apnea precursors, compared to the Resmed. I know the Resmed Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10 is quieter. The Airsense 10 series also provides exhale pressure relief (EPR) which is a true bilevel (BiPAP) pressure algorithm with inhale and exhale pressures that can provide therapeutic treatment to individuals with upper airway restriction, and quantitatively reduces FL, RERA, Snores and Hypopnea. The Autoset is much faster to respond to flow limitations and other precursors of obstructive apena, and will raise pressure before the obstructive event occurs, and it will maintain pressure to continue to prevent events, while the Philips chronically drops out of therapeutic range.

Some individuals have fewer flow limitations and respond well to a fixed pressure, and the Philips Dreamstation works fine. For others, the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is vastly superior, and the Aircurve 10 Vauto is better. As far as Flex vs EPR, there is no contest. One is a CPAP pressure relief, the other is true BiPAP. And the Resmed is quieter based on a large majority of users that have used both, including my self. The advantage of a Philips is the 12-VDC power is very simple to adapt to battery use. The Resmed requires a 12-24 DC-DC adapter that adds a one-time cost. IMHO the more compact form-factor of the Resmed with unified humidifier, more than makes up for the need to carry the adapter.
  20. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Tom. Where is this information on the two non-BiPAP machines?