CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @TomInCA I would like to see the info also. I use a dreamstation without the humidifier and it seems to work fine. Mine seems to adjust to the pressure that is needed and I am sleeping 8 hours usually without waking up for any period of time.
  2. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    For me, the extremely poor quality of the Resmed renders all that immaterial. If they can't make a device that actually works without constant pulsing- it really doesn't matter what its potential performance is.
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    Is it 'pulsing' though because it is doing exactly what it is supposed to as a true bilevel (BiPAP) device? If it is providing exhale pressure relief (EPR) with different inhale and exhale pressures perhaps it would indeed 'pulse' as those pressures change? Tom probably knows the answer.
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    No
  5. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a Resmed 10 I'd like to take on a BDR trip to Idaho. How did you guys carry the Resmed 10 safely on a dirt bike/dual sport? Using the Resmed 12 to 24 volt adapter and an Antigravity Micro Start 10 lithium battery. Battery has something like 18 amp hrs, more than I need for a night and will recharge off the bike.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've packed my CPAP behind me on my Giant Loop style bag and nestled in soft things like clothing, sleeping bag, etc. My logic for putting it on top or in the center (dirt or street bike), is that I'm more likely to land the bike on it's side than on it's top and if it lands on it's top, then I've got bigger things to worry about.

I also have one of these: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/for/d/vancouver-cpap/6945225319.html since they run off 12V and I don't have to carry the extra brick like my Resmed S9. My sleep quality isn't quite the same as my S9 for some reason, but gets me by just fine and in the event it gets broken, I've still got my good one at home. I highly recommend one of these for the bike for all the reasons I've stated. Let me know if you have any questions since I'm just up the road.
  7. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Do we have a conclusive winner for best battery model/type to travel with on the bike? Chargeable direct from the bike necessary of course.
  8. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Still testing this. Large capacity and seems good for several nights with my HMS Z2 Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.49.26 PM.png
  9. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine fits in a Wolfman tank bag
    20190501_060644.jpg
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I've got the Poweradd mentioned here numerous times and I get about two 7-8 hour nights at 11.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  11. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny that I was "first" on the replies and that was 7 years ago. I now use a CPAP and camping has been a struggle.

I have a car camping trip coming up up at 9'K. I just bought a 12v cig lighter cable. I plan on bringing a deep cycle Marine Battery with a cig lighter adaptor.

We'll see how it goes.
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Hell no ... kinda like the oil threads in some ways............. :photog
    lanztek and MUDHWY like this.
  13. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    Test results are in. The Vetomile 166Wh power station is good for about 10 hours when connected from the DC output to my Z2 Auto travel CPAP. Since I usually sleep about 7.5 hours this is a little disappointing. The display on the power station does not indicate what percentage of charge remains or the power draw. This makes it difficult to track usage. I'm undecided about returning it. If it could be recharged between uses it would be ok, but I was hoping for at least two nights per charge. The Z2 is claimed to have a peak usage of 35 watts. I probably need a larger capacity battery.

The unit recharged to full in about two hours. This makes me think it was not fully discharged. The CPAP shutting off may be due to a voltage drop. The plot thickens.
  14. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Vetomile makes a 250Wh unit for fifty bucks more than the one you bought.

[​IMG]
  15. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    Yes and that might be the solution. More testing to come.
  16. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    From DC or AC?
  17. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    Finally a combination I am happy with. I tested this for three nights on one charge. A total of 23 hours. The Z2 is auto adjusting from 4 to 14 cm/H2O and averages 9 cm/H2O. After three nights it looks like there is still enough charge (35%) for another night. I have not charged from the bike yet. I should be able to pull power from the Hella DIN plug I use for my heated jacket and put the battery pack in my tank bag while charging.
    The hose and mask are the bulkiest part of this combination.

IMG_6757.jpg IMG_5042.jpg
    ridenm and MUDHWY like this.
  18. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    from AC
  19. MUDHWY

Oddometer:
    Happy for you and I have also been considering the Poweradd but sincerely wondering how this
    32000mAh unit could be better than the 45000mAh Vetomile you just tried previously? The math just doesn't work.
  20. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    I can't explain it either. The Vetomile and the Jackery would both shut off in the middle of the second night, well before they were anywhere near fully discharged. They were good for one night on a full charge and the second night would be the problem. Unlike the Poweradd which only offers DC output and USB output the others have more varied features. The Poweradd seems to work better at least with the Z2, and is smaller (and cheaper) as well.
    As always YMMV. I will be returning the Vetomile.
    Baroquenride likes this.