CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Is there any indication the auto feature uses more or less current than a straight CPAP of the same model? And a big issue with me, how about the noise factor?
  2. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    I assume that the higher the pressure the more power is required from the power supply.
    The Z2 is slightly louder than my other CPAP (Fischer Paykill Icon) which is very quiet.
    My SO only complains about the sound that the mask makes when I have a leak. Both machines are very quiet. The noise is mostly white noise. Of course this is very subjective.
  3. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 of us at work have the resmed 10. No issues for any of us after 3 years.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  4. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    Hey moose. What cable are you using from poweradd to your V2? Also, are you using the Toshiba laptop type 12v charger?
    MUDHWY likes this.
  5. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    I'm using the power output cable that came with the Poweradd. It is unique in that it has two different male ends and works in only one orientation. The Z2 accepts a standard 2.1 x 5.5 mm plug. The DC output of the Poweradd uses a similar sized plug but it has a larger diameter hole. So the cable has two different plugs, although they look very similar they are not. I don't know about the Toshiba type charger - I'm a Mac guy. :-)
  6. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    Laptop charger to charge the power add while riding?
  7. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    To charge the Poweradd ( in my tank bag) while riding I have two choices as I have two power outlets on my GSA.
    1. Use the Hella/DIN outlet with the cable from my heated jacket (see pix 1 and 2).
    2. Use a cigarette type plug and cable. (pix 3 and 4).
    This is as yet untested as to how long a full charge will take.

Attached Files:

MUDHWY likes this.
  8. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    BJMoose likes this.
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    What will that brick do? I created my recharge adaptor using a leftover SAE plug on one end and I happened to have an old wall-wart with the correct adaptor that fits the Poweradd on the other end. Crimped them together in the middle and it recharges just fine off the bike. Am I risking anything by not using the laptop brick and running power straight through? It's only 12-14V....
    MUDHWY and BJMoose like this.
  10. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    I WISH we had an electrical engineer/motorcyclist who suffers apnea and discovers this thread and promptly puts all our speculation, trial and error to rest by matching: bike's 12v to CPAP to powerbank. No power-eating bricks, transformers, inverters, or transformers (external or internal!). They've gotta be out there.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    You'll know soon enough I'd garner. Remember, a smoking lithium battery = BAD. :lol3

Did those of you recently looking at the Poweradd notice that Amazon says there is a newer model available now?

There is a newer model of this item:
    [​IMG]
    POWERADD Pilot Pro4 25600mAh Laptop Portable Charger, AC Output 110V/60W QC 3.0 Port 5V 9V 12V USB-A High Capacity External Battery for MacBook/Dell XPS/Pocket PC/iPod/iPad/Smartphone and More
    $84.98
    BJMoose likes this.
  12. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't need a degree for that. Just buy a unit that runs on 12V. The Devilbiss Intellipap has inputs for both 12V and AC. It's a bigger than the travel units, but not by much. You can pick them up pretty cheap used.

intellipap-auto-cpap-with-smartcode-devilbiss-in-use.jpg
  13. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what JRWooden has been using, and he's bought a second (after the first was permanently borrowed). Still, I figure there are now more choices that we don't yet know enough about.
  14. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    I got the VOM out and measured a couple of things.
    The output of the charger (brick) for the Poweradd is 18v DC, 2 Amps.
    The output from the power out on the GSA is 14.3v DC when the bike is running.
    Other than a slightly longer charge time I don't foresee a problem.
    Keep in mind this is still untested.

@MUDHWY I find it interesting that the newer model has a lower capacity: 25600 vs 32000
  15. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    If you are using the BMW-provided cigarette socket I think you will find it is current limited/protected to just a couple amps
    (sorry I forget the exact value) and then the CANBus will shut it off. I know for certain that's how it works on my F650GS twin. :doh

If your DIN plug is wired direct to the battery i'd go with that ....
  16. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    Power outlets are run directly from the battery and have a 15 amp fuse but can take a 20. You are right about the CANbus connected DIN outlet. It can't even handle my heated jacket. 5 amps max.
    JRWooden likes this.
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  18. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    This charger is much smaller then other bricks I have used!!!! It charges the poweradd with no adapters needed. Will be on bike today charging from 0%. I will update.
    BJMoose likes this.
  19. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    I only rode about 1.5 hours and it chargerd to 30%. That was from totally dead. This is going to work perfect.
  20. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I bought a 35ah deep cycle SLA battery for car camping with the family to power my Dreamstation (set at 10). All that’s needed to connect is the special shielded Phillips cable with a male cigarette plug and a female cigarette lighter battery lead with a fuse. I got two nights on mine with power to spare for part of a third night at home while dealing with a power outage. I remembered to turn the modem and Bluetooth off this time, something I hadn’t done the last time I went camping.

It’s too heavy for motorcycle camping, but I think I should be able to get a full night out of my 10500mAH power bank now with the extra settings turned off. I would like to get a bigger power pack but no one will ship one to Alaska.

Does anyone make a USB to female cigarette plug that will work on the 2.1amp USB? I could use a standard belkin 15000mAH power pack I have...