CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have run my Phillps System one as low as 12.2 volts. My hunch is your extension cord is the issue try another one
    squish and BJMoose like this.
  2. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I basically had an ENT doc say the same thing. No amount of surgery or devices are going to help me. It's air pressure alone that keeps my tongue out of the back of my throat at night. Been using cpap for 7 years now. autoset 10-20...run most of the time around 20.

I've had a setup in my camp trailer for years where, using DC adapter, I connect my resmed to a 12v plugin connected to my 2-12v deep-cycle batteries. My motorcycle camping has been limited to 5 days or less so I've just suffered through it. I've got a 14 day trip coming up next year so I need to figure out this battery issue.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Regarding altitude:

I've been riding around MX and Central America and noticed that the required pressure goes up by about a point when I'm much above 7K feet.
    Also I'm going to guess that since the air is "thinner" at elevation the machine is working harder as a result of that,
    AND at least in my case being asked to deliver a higher pressure than it would at a lower altitude.
  4. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Yup, I agree. Fortunately, it wasn't an issue for me as I had to stay at a hotel the next night and can recharge it on my bike. However, one thing I figured out last week is that I had mine on the 15mm hose setting instead of the 22mm hose. I also figured out that I needed a different setting on the experitory relief pressure. I'm sure I've been fighting both of those issues and causing my machine to work harder, especially at altitude which is probably why it was drawing more power. I'll be curious to see if I now get more nights out of my battery.
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
    Did you conclude that the brick is somehow better than just a direct cigarette plug connection like BJMoose posted pics of? I am wondering why the CPAP board would recommend it? Protective factors like short circuit, over current or over voltage? Can you link to the board thread here please so we can do our own reading?

Interesting specs on this brick as reported by another user:

The PWR+ spec says it accepts anything from 12-15V. The PWR+ will turn off if you increase the supply voltage above 15V, but works all the way down to 11V.
  6. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Yes please.
  7. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Waiting for that day

Oddometer:
  8. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  9. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those claiming they would have apnea regardless of the pressure, I have seen many individuals that obstruct due to position of their head and neck that occludes the airway, specifically chin-tucking. If you sit in a chair and relax and let your head tilt forward, I suspect you will perceive increased flow limitation. If you actually press upwards on the soft tissues behind your chin and above your throat, I be you can completely obstruct your airway with light pressure. A couple of articles I have written:
    http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Optimizing_therapy#Positional_Apnea
    http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Soft_Cervical_Collar

Be fair, if you see yourself in these examples, the remedy is easy, and once your train yourself to avoid positional apnea, the soft cervical collar can be avoided. I suspect a lot of people on CPAP could avoid the machine and correct the positional issues.
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
  11. wisemonkey75

wisemonkey75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw it, and then remembered this:

MUDHWY likes this.
  12. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    One more step towards becoming a bionic man. How much will this thing cost, six million?

[​IMG]
    wisemonkey75 likes this.