1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks MUDHWY, but I've got two CPAP's to worry about now and need a solution for two units. I'd like to figure out a safe plug and play way to use the trailer batteries while camping.

I already have two of the ResMed converter cords, so I'd like to go that way.

The Anti-Gravity PS-45 battery looks like a viable option for running off the bikes on camping trips and the power for two units with 45 AMP HRS - if a bike's alternator/stator will recharge it over a day's ride. I'd really like to be able to try one of these out to see if it works for my wife and I.
    Antigravity likes this.
  2. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But has anyone verified that you can charge it from your bike??? Web site only shows 120v and solar.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  3. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Doubt it will have two outputs for two machines at the same time? None of my batteries has had this ability.
  4. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Jabba - Y splitter will drive two machines.

Dagwood- It has a 12-volt charging cord accessory.

The PS-45 should have more than enough juice for one night for two Res"Med machines sans heaters and cell phone reporting. I just don't know if it will "take" a charge fast enough to work day in and day out. Anti Gravity says above they charge slower due to the high power cells.
  5. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    If using a 110V style plug- but that's much less efficient from what I've read. Also- my latest machine has a built in voltage default code when you use anything other than a straight, non-altered cord. Add an adapter plug and it faults out and won't work. Has to be a solid DC cord from battery to machine. What I was saying is that the batteries typically have one port for this style of single prong DC cord. (Phillips Dreamstation)
  6. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    W/o going back and reading all the posts...has anyone used a smart solenoid to charge a spare battery on their bike as they travel? I set this up on my bike last year with help from GPAX and it worked fine. Each night i had plenty of power to run the CPAP machine.
  7. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll bite. FastPast what is a "smart solenoid" and how does it charge a battery better, fasster!
  8. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now averaging a solid two nights with a Resmed S8 at an 11 setting plugged into the AC outlet on the PS-45, still putting data together on charge times (a little tough with the holidays :) but will also be putting data together on an S9 unit.
  9. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it is better or faster but it worked for me. Go to WWW.POWERTSTREAM.COM out of Orem, Ut. and click on "automotive" Then see the smart battery idolator solenoid. This system directs extra output from your bikes charging system as you ride and charges a spare battery that can be placed in your side pannier. At camp, just unhook the solenoid (via battery tender cables) and hook on an extended line from the battery to your tent and plug in the CPAP. You can easily get a full nights use after a days ride. In the morning just plug the battery back into the solenoid (mine is mounted under the seat) and your in business. The best thing is that this system does not allow your main battery to ever drain so you never have to worry about cranking power for the bike. The people at Powerstream are great at explaining over the phone on how it works and how to install it. I bought mine last year and was $85.00 shipped. I hope this helps you or somebody else because it sure made a big difference in my travels.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'm still confused as to how the end result is any different than hooking up my cpap to my battery for the night and recharging during the day while I'm riding it. :scratch I'm at 11 on my cpap and my bikes will start just fine in the am. Having said that, I've been using my PowerAdd battery pack which has more uses than the solonoid and lasts me 2 nights. :dunno
    Oh, and your link doesn't work.
  11. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try this link.
    The web site explains in detail how it operates to keep two batteries charged while the engine is running.
    This has come up in the hack forum where inmates want to run an additional battery in the sidecar.
    katbeanz likes this.
  12. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Ok from skimming it, it looks to be just a battery isolater and you have to have a separate battery that you hook up to instead of your primary battery. That's kind of old school, but if it works for someone and they don't mind extra weight, then more power to them. :thumb
  13. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    So I ran a cord from the battery to our tank bags with SAE connector plugs. I plug in when the engine is started and unplug when shut off. I've used this set up to charge phones, lithium battery paks, etc. What am I missing electrically? I'm an electrical idiot!

Please let me know if I need to change this process. I'd sure appreciate your explanation.
  14. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    You don't need to change a thing. He's carrying an extra battery and not relying on his primary battery to power his CPAP or charge it because he's potentially worried about using all the battery power for his CPAP. You're not missing out on anything and you're just fine by relying on the primary battery, even overnight. If anything, one can carry a small jumpstart battery to get the bike going in the morning. They're easily obtained on Amazon for $35.
    Parrothead and PullingG's like this.
  15. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Fully or deeply discharging a lead acid battery, even an AGM, is very hard on them and will cut their life short. I've had to learn a little about batteries due to owning a camping trailer, I always disconnect the trailer from the tow vehicle when not towing and try to never discharge the trailer batteries below 12.2 volts. A trickle charger will extend the battery life a lot. Same with a bike battery. I just don't understand electricity/electronics after the battery, something like a battery isolator.

We won't charge or run anything off the bike batteries when camping, when stopped for the night. During the day we charge a small lithium brick to run the sat radio and charge cell phones and Inreach after the bike is turned off.

Our 690's and 1200GSA's lack a kick starter - adding a little importance to keeping the battery healthy. The 690's have ReKluse clutches, so no push starting in the morning as well!
  16. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    River-Runner, if I understand your question, you are asking why there is a problem in running a CPAP in a circuit that also includes a heavy motor or starter. Those motors are equipped with starter capacitors or solenoids that provide extra voltage to start a motor and usually switch off fairly quickly when the motor reaches about 75% of their operating speed. The electromagnetic "kickback" of the starter, when it suddenly stops turning once the engine starts, causes a voltage "spike" to shoot through the car's electrical system.There can be a lot of amperage in a circuit when any motor "kicks on" using a capacitor or solenoid switch and that is why you don't leave your trickle battery charger connected when you start your motorcycle. Your CPAP is a $1000 electronic device that has some fragile electronic circuit boards. It has no business being inline with a furnace motor, air conditioning compressor or engine starter. You may find a safe circuit to connect to in an automotive electrical system, but it's probably better to get a separate rechargable power source or battery and keep your CPAP out of circuits with motors or starters.
  17. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    TomInCA, your electical theory is good info, but one doesn't run a CPAP while the bike is running. There's absolutely no need to do that. Nor does one recharge a CPAP off a bike, only batteries and we all know that batteries are recharged just fine from the bike.
  18. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    TomInCA -

Thanks very much. I will research this in greater detail.
  19. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Color me skeptical. No way the Antigravity PS-45 has 45 amp/hours in a 2.86 lb package.

I bought a 24 volt 30a/h battery to power my Resmed Airmini. I get 6 nights of use out of it. It weighs about 9 lbs. I had to build a buck to ensure power was a constant 24 volts.
  20. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

In part you are correct in that it is not a true 45Ah. It is rated at 45,000mAh based on 3.7 volts which is the standard for rating all lithium based power packs. With all these types of devices the internals will step up the voltage for 5 volt, 12 volt, and 19 volt applications and some like the PS-45 allow for 110 volt applications. In addition, the cell make up is geared more toward capacity vs cranking like our Micro-Stat jumpers have been in the past.
    Bigbob1 and BJMoose like this.