CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Is it going to swell after a few years, like my XP-10? Once bitten, twice shy
  2. incendiary

incendiary Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I have the Pilot 12, which is the one that is compatible with my Z1 Auto. Nice form factor. Picked it up late last year, so I've only used it a few times. Can easily go 2 nights on a charge.
  4. incendiary

incendiary Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    At what pressure???
  7. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:

I have one, used with a resmed airmini.
    If fully charged via a household wall plug I can get about 2.5 nights use.
    Charging via a socket off the bike I am lucky to get 1.5 nights.
    I only ever expect 2 nights from it if fully charged.
    If I am on long multi day trips, with no access to household power it needs to be charging off the bike most of each day.

No idea what pressure I am using, my machine is set on auto and I sleep great.
    I have had the airmini for 14 months now and done at least 4 multi day bike trips in that time, plus a vehicle and train trip around the Scottish Highlands. Mostly staying in backpackers where access to power at night in bed was difficult. So it was battery usage each night.
    Charging the Medistrom was difficult if I didn’t stay in the backpackers during the day. Also difficult to charge on trains.
    For real outdoor usage the CPAP is pretty useless. For instance, a multi day wilderness kayak trip ?
    How to charge ?
    I have thought of dragging my old “Mandibular splint” thing out of retirement, but sleeping with that mouthguard thing was way worse than the CPAP.

As my German girlfriend says “ what to do ?” :dunno
  8. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    The little Transcend offers proprietary batteries and solar charger. Make sure you travel on sunny days.
  9. Jabba

Oddometer:
    Why not charge the Medistrom from.a cigarette outlet during the day?
  10. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Big Break

Oddometer:
    Besides the ubiquitous 'So Clean' what are you guys using for a cleaner? Just as important to me would be knowing how many of you aren't using anything at all but just clean the individual parts with plain old soap and water and/or white vinegar? :*sip*
  11. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Once a week: First I pour a little white vinegar through the hoses and humidifier tank, followed by hot water with a few drops of antibacterial liquid hand soap. The tank gets a "magic eraser" sponge while the hoses and nose pillow get the 3-foot-long test-tube-style hose brush. Cold water rinse of all, then the hoses are hung in the sun.

I have a can of special CPAP spray cleaner, but never use it.
  12. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Daily rinse the tank and mask assembly with 140ºF hot water and hang to dry.
    Weekly soak in white vinegar/ hot water solution - 30 mins - rinse and hang to dry.
    I've been doing it this way for years.
    Alternatively my CPAP guy says spritz daily w/ white vinegar and water and rinse. But I don't do it that way.
  13. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    My sister sent me an ad for a cheaper version, have also seen ozone generators sold to hunters for removing human scent from clothing. I think spare hose soaked in a plastic shoebox with white vinegar would work. I went to a nasal mask, and not using humidifier it doesn't really get funky. I also read of one guy who pulls his mask and lets his machine blow for a couple minutes after he wakes, dries it out.

I think hoses are like $6 for a two pack, but I scrub on occasion. Take care what disinfecting wipes you use on the mask, my late Mom got a chemical burn from nursing home attendant using bleach wipes. :bluduh
  14. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty firmly in the "just keep an eye on it" crowd. I'm using distilled water in the humidifier, and usually just enough for the night so it runs dry every morning.

I inspect the nose pillows often, and clean with hot tap water and a Qtip before letting dry. Never had anything grow in the hose.

I note that I live in the dry desert southwest where things like mold/etc don't like it. YMMV.
  15. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Big Break

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks. Sounds like common sense maintenance and no one really using the various machines made expressly for cleaning.

I have a ResMed S10...what about cleaning the heated tubing where it connects to the machine? There is an electrical connection chip that protrudes at that spot that I assume is not safe to submerge in water (or vinegar, etc) ???

[​IMG]
  16. FredRydr

Oddometer:
  17. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I havebeen using a CPAP for probably 15 years do not use a humidifier. I really just use CPAP cleaning wipes on the nasal mask and also soak in soapy water every week or so.
  18. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Big Break

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have the printed instructions that come with every new machine but there's not a word in there or in these online instructions about this particular part cleaning.

Cleaning
    You should clean the device weekly as described. Refer to the mask user guide for detailed
    instructions on cleaning your mask.
    1. Wash the water tub and air tubing in warm water using mild detergent.
    Do not wash in a dishwasher or washing machine.
    2. Rinse the water tub and air tubing thoroughly and allow to dry out of direct sunlight and/or heat.
    3. Wipe the exterior of the device with a dry cloth.
  19. Jabba

Oddometer:
    I bought one of the UV units from cpap.com. Super simple- just open the drawer, drop in the components and hit the button.

The hose cleaner is pretty interesting- it's basically a steel bullet that emits UV light- and a tubular magnet that you put over the hose. Slide the hose through and the bullet gets advanced along inside by the pull of the magnet.
  20. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    MUDHWY likes this.