CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
  2. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    That warning is for ozone machines- mine is UV light
  3. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    From what I've read, the downside with UV light as a CPAP cleaner is that it’s only effective on the surfaces that it touches. Any shadows cast on any piece of equipment placed in the cleaning machine compartment can impede the effectiveness of the UV light process. Surfaces are typically pressed against the walls in the cleaning compartments and are then not completely sanitized by the UV light.
  4. Jabba

Oddometer:
    The walls are mirrors in this unit, and my water chamber and mask components are all clear. No concern about shadows.
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Which unit? Link?
  6. Jabba

Oddometer:
    MUDHWY likes this.
  7. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got told I need a machine. I've looked over most of this thread and it seems to be dealing with portable units to use while camping. I will not be using mine off the grid, but I'm looking for one that packs small for moto trips. The tech told me that I could buy one off amazon and since I was paying cash it come unlocked or if it wasn't you can find how to unlock online. Anyway, I guess I'll be using one from here on out so any suggestions would be welcome. Getting old really sucks!
    MT Wallet likes this.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'd look at other online stores like CPAPSupplyUSA.com or cpap.com. I've used both. They often offer good deals on accessories that you are going to need that you don't see on Amazon. Regardless of where you buy your CPAP online, you will need to upload a copy of your prescription.

If you have the funds to spend a little extra, I would go with an auto CPAP.

While I do agree that getting old sucks, for me sleep apnea, wasn't something that came with getting old. I've had it since I was a kid. Got my first machine prescribed to me in my early 30's.
    BJMoose likes this.
  9. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    For most it comes with getting fat.
    ThrottleStop, RickS and MT Wallet like this.
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    And for some it comes with diabetes, or high blood pressure, or other medical issues. And for some like me it's just a medical condition all on it's own.
  11. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Got my first CPAP in my late 30s and when about 175lbs. I had been snoring since my teens and about 145lbs. Friends hated bunking with me when camping.

My dad had been on a CPAP for years at that time. Combination of sinus and jaw structure then and my weight today. One of the best things I did was to listen to my wife and get the sleep test. Felt better within days of going on the machine.
  12. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Both our statements are true. Weight is the primary reason however.

RE: diabetes (T2 at least. I'm a 30 year T1 myself...different disease.) Sleep apnea primarily relates to type 2 diabetes because of weight. SA can however also increase blood sugar levels because of the stress associated with chronic sleep deprivation and abrupt awakenings in the night.
  13. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    ^meh
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Well documented in many medical journals.

"In adults, the most common cause of obstructive sleep apnea is excess weight and obesity, which is associated with soft tissue of the mouth and throat. The excess soft tissue causing the airway to become blocked."
  15. BJMoose

Oddometer:
  16. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    @BJMoose quit being such a pedantic ass. The statistics are out there for anyone to dig up and it's not an oversimplification to restate them here. I understand there are other causes but that does not negate the fact that the predominant cause is obesity.
    gpfan likes this.
  17. incendiary

incendiary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the resmed air mini and it packs up nice and small. It doesn't have the water reservoir for the humidity. It uses this funky disk thing in the hose the capture the moisture from your breath to humidify the air. Travelled a bunch with it (air travel only so far) and it's been so easy to take around. Had to pay out of pocket so it cost me around $2000 AUD for it but I'm so glad I got a portable one.
  18. BJMoose

Oddometer:
    @MUDHWY Thanks for the personal attack.
    And yes yours is an "oversimplification" and I provided a factual source so that others could get information that was unbiased.
    What exactly is the reason you continue to harp on this?
    Had you not attacked me I would have ignored you then and will do so in the future.
    Cheers
    Valker likes this.
  19. RickS

RickS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude I am not fat.
  20. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    ResMed Air Mini from Lofta on Black Friday (25% off) = $636.75 USD. Otherwise normally discounted 20%.

In Eddie Bauer Kid's Lunch Box Cooler (10x8x3.25) with enough room for all my toiletries including a Sonicare travel toothbrush in its' plastic travel case.

0204201837.jpg

How tight it packs depends on which mask you get (nasal pillow, nasal, mouth and nasal). Masks are proprietary to the unit and included in the purchase price.

Attached Files:

Albie and Bigbob1 like this.