CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ThrottleStop

ThrottleStop Dear Younger Me,

Oddometer:
    Knock it off. Your attitude kinda sucks. Back a dog in a corner and then wonder why he bites? Puhleaze.

Why even question that weight is the primary cause? Literally Google "what is the leading cause of sleep apnea?" and see what you get.

Move on now please.
    CrazyCooter, sidetrack one and gpfan like this.
  2. Plasterman61

Plasterman61 n00b

Oddometer:
    There are two kinds of apnea that happens when you sleep. One is central and the other is obstructive....I have both. Just bought a travel CPAP with my last years flex money, can't wait to try it while traveling on the bike this summer.
  3. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. incendiary

incendiary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow that brilliant! I've just been using the baggy that mine came in buy a lunch bag would be perfect!
  5. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    Glad you found my idea helpful.

It defies my imagination, how the CPAP industry provides elaborate carrying cases with home units, but fails to provide carrying cases for "travel" units.
  6. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Will using a CPAP w/the DC cable opposed to using the regular AC outlet extend the length of charge? The DC cable for my Resmed S9 is $70, but it will be worth it if I get an additional night out of a charge.

Also, I am torn between the XP-10 v. PS-45. I like the idea of jump start, but my primary focus is powering the CPAP. Any real world tests comparing the two? How many nights of CPAP use are you seeing out of the PS-45?
  7. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I doubt the XP-10 will work on the CPAP, but others will speak up if I'm wrong. It has to do with the CPAP not drawing enough current or something....I can't remember. :dunno I tried that route with a different jump starter and it would only work for several min before shutting down. Definitely go for the PS-45 or something similar.

I'm pretty sure the DC port will draw less current, but Antigravity will let you know for sure. I made a cable for my Resmed S9 out of spare parts- you don't have to spend $70 to get something that works. https://advrider.com/f/threads/cpap-is-my-adv-life-over-no.825663/page-48#post-37899806
    GS Weaver likes this.
  8. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    If you have a respironics dreamstation, you need a DC cord with no adapters. The machine can identify them, and will throw a fault code. Highly recommend the current Dreamstation- as it is a DC based machine, and its 110V "brick" merely converts power from AC to DC to run it. When you camp on battery power, all you bring is the short DC cord, the battery and a cigarette outlet plug to charge the battery while you ride- provided your battery has a built in voltage regulator.

I have camped with many different machines, from resmed and respironics- for more than 15 years. I have an XP10, which was good for a couple nights when it was new. It developed a slight bulge in the case and will no longer last even one night. I'm currently using the Medistrom. There are many more choices today than just a few years ago.
  9. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    I found this little number on Amazon. It has good reviews and free return policy. For $28 its worth a go.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7KPW31/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_yKaqEbDRMR9TJ
  10. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Baroquenride likes this.
  11. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I used an XP-10 with my Devilbis IntelliPAP AutoAdjust CPAP -- DV54D it accepts 12VDC directly.
    I could not get two full nights out of the XP-10 at a setting of ~8.0 on machine,
    but it was not a problem to recharge it from the bike every day.... it did take maybe 5 hours to recharge it.... that varied some....
    GS Weaver likes this.
  12. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting that info, especially your pressure setting as many folks forget that and their data is absolutely worthless without it. You're at the lower end of moderate on your pressure and I think most folks here are moderate or severe.
    GS Weaver likes this.
  13. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the S9 requires a 12 to 24v converter, it can't be powered by a direct 12v line.
  14. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The DC may draw a little less current but whenever you start using adapters, converters and inverters there's always going to be some loss in efficiency but I didn't see a huge difference when I've was testing my units with some of the prototypes where I could do either the ac or dc plugs The XP-10 will work but pending your settings you'll get 6-8 hours, with the PS-45 I was seeing a solid 8 hours for two days with some to spare on a pressure setting of 10. I really have been liking using the PS-45 just as whole, nice straight and forward hook up and with other options out like jabba said, some of the models will detect an adapter and throw an error code so no worries with that.
    -Chad
    chad@antigravitybatteries.com
    GS Weaver and Bigbob1 like this.
  15. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Yeah pressure is important ... I usually had 2 bar left after night one, so i think even as mildly higher pressures (10? 12? - I'm guessing)
    it would last one night.
  16. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The AirMini automatically adjusts pressure. It varies.

My home cpap is set to 11
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Most modern machines are APAP's now in fact. You can still ascertain an average pressure.
  18. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the solid reply. I'll go with the PS-45 and just plug right in using the AC adapter. I know the official recommendation is to charge using AC (or eventually solar), but I'll probably try charging using the bike and report back.
  19. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Long timer

Oddometer:

I just had a new sleep study -original pressure was a 9 and not effective. The new study adjusted it up to 13! Much more better.:-)
  20. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What you have said is true but we need to remember that ac to dc conversion is generally 65% efficient while dc to dc conversion is roughly 80% efficient.

The closer you are to the end result the more efficient the conversion will be.

If you are using a 24v cpap the most efficient would be to use a 24v lithium battery then use a dc-dc buck to ensure your cpap is getting the proper voltage.

When I camp I use a 30 amp/hour 24v lithium battery to power my 24v Resmed AirMini. I built a cheap dc-dc buck to ensure the voltage to the AirMini is a regulated 24 volts. I get 5 nights of use before it needs to be charged. I can charge it from my bike using another cheap dc-dc buck to get the voltage from the 14.1 volts the bike supplies to 28 volts for the charge.