1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Makes sense, except WTF is a "buck"? (Hey, it rhymes!)
  2. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    katbeanz likes this.
  3. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Mine was set to 9 from my last sleep study. My S9 is now set to auto and the average varies from 11 to 14. I feel so much better after discovering the auto setting!
    Bigbob1, MT Wallet and MUDHWY like this.
  5. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those of you with Resmed, Philips and other machines that produce data might want to download the OSCAR sortware to monitor therapy results. It can save sleep studies and it's pretty interesting. OSCAR (Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter) replaced Sleepyhead a few years ago. Highly detailed visual charts make it easy to use. FWIW a new version is pending that will do a better job with some of the advanced machines, but the current version is okay, and a big improvement if you're still using Sleepyhead. https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
    katbeanz and farcall like this.
  6. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've just had a similar epiphany after six and a half years.

My setting of 8, with no EPR, alway gave me the lowest AHIs, but created a lot of GI bloat, what's called -- erroneously in my opinion -- aerophagia. Hell, you're not swallowing air, you're being blown up like a balloon.

The sleep study had indicated that my apneas were positional. A key point, I think, which I ignored.

Over the years I tried using AUTO mode but didn't drop the low setting much, thinking it had to be close to 8 to get a therapeutic effect, and any deviations from the study pressure should be on the high side. The result was I never had good results using AUTO.

Recently I changed the settings on my PRS1 Auto to 4 and 12 after finally giving some thought to the positional aspects of my apneas. The results have been surprising: I'm consistently sleeping better and the machine (and OSCAR) indicates my average pressure throughout the night is about 5. For long stretches of the night the machine stays at 4, with occasional spikes to 8 or 9. The one-size-fits-all approach of running 8 all night greatly exceeded what I actually needed for the majority of the time.

I had bought a Z2 Auto that I wasn't overly impressed with. Now I'm getting a good night's sleep with it, using the new program, so I think I'll be doing more tent camping this year.

I'm also kicking myself for my complacency in tolerating the sleep center orthodoxy and my unsatisfactory results for so long.
  7. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the secret to getting it to be in auto I searched the web and struck out?

thanks
    tommu56
  8. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    How to change Z2 Auto ranges? Can't figure it out.
  9. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:

With the display in standby:

1. Press and hold the power button
    2. When the Hi pressure is displayed change it with the arrow buttons. If in Loc mode, press and hold the arrow buttons until unlocked.
    3. When Hi pressure is selected, press and hold the power button to save it.
    4. Lo pressure is displayed next. Set and save as above.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  10. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Pins & Needles

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  11. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Hold down the setup button and the push dial knob at the same time to enter clinician mode
    Click the push dial knob on the first screen "settings"
    Click "mode" and change from CPAP to Autoset
  12. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks
    My S9 must be too old i can change the rest of the settings but "autoset" isn't available
    so I bumped it up 2 slept better last night!
    Clayshooter08 and GS Weaver like this.
  13. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just for the record - we are in a toy hauler and I just got a battery monitor. We have two ResMed air curve cpaps, use lights and rechargable phones and tablets sparingly. All led bulbs used a little. Radio, but no TV use. We are pulling 55 to 65 amphours out of the four golf cart Batts each night. My guess is all but 8 to 10 AH from cpaps used 8 to 9 hours a night. Your mileage may vary.
  14. poqomchi

poqomchi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GS Weaver, JRowland and FredRydr like this.
  15. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    shameless plug but yesterday I posted a Bi-Pap in the flea market
  16. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are people finding supplies for their dream stations?
  17. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am new to the CPAP world for just about three weeks. My doctor will not give me a copy of my prescription. When I had the sleep study, I had to pick a supplier from a list. That supplier than gave me the equipment. While looking online, I saw a ton of different masks and wanted to try some (at my own expense.) The doctors office informed me that if I was unhappy with the supplier, I could request a new one and that was it.

I do know I have an appt with the DR in about 3 months so they can verify I have been using it to show the insurance company. Maybe at that point I will get the copy of the prescription? Just seems like the online suppliers are much better priced when it comes to buying a travel machine. My local supply coming is just worried about getting paid from the insurance company.

Anyone else from PA run into this?
  18. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Go to Amazon you can find whatever you want for cpap......................
  19. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    cpap1000.com
    ryder1 likes this.
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no real perscription. The doc say a range. Usually from 6 to 20. For me 6 was way to low and it felt like I was sufficating. I had to call the ent and complain to get it bumped up. Then I found a youtube video and unlocked everything and put the pressure where I felt it did the most good for me.

I haven't had a follow up ent visit so they can see if I use the cpap. While getting the instrument the lady mistakenly told me that there is a wifi transmitter in it so they can check on me. Guess what the first thing that was removed.