CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sounds nice but where does one buy these "bucks" you speak of ready to plug in? I have no interest in trying to figure out wiring and what goes where. I would pay you to assemble one for me. Yup, I'm one of those guys :lol3
  2. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    FWIW, you could have bought an older Remstar Auto 12V machine that would have taken up about the same amount of space, give you better charging options including off the bike itself, AND would have been cheaper all around. Perhaps you didn't know this prior, but I'm bringing this up for others... :dhorse
  3. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't look like the Remstar is as small as the AirMini. The AirMini is the size of my hand.

If money was really that important to my solution I would have used my old S8. But these old cpap's use significantly more power than an AirMini uses. I would guess the Remstar uses more than the AirMini too.
  4. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I'm having a hard time telling what's what in your pic, but it appears to me that my battery pack and Remstar take up the same amount of space overall.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I'm just talking here ... :gerg but

Has anybody considered getting a pair of 12V batteries (sized appropriately) with a "quick-change" wiring harness
    so that you could run the CPAP with the two batteries wired in series at night,
    then charge it from the bike during the day by wiring them (both) in parallel with the bike's electrical system...
  6. MadtownMaxx

MadtownMaxx more ride than post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I understand exactly but see posts 768 & 770 of this thread for one version of this setup?

"Has anybody considered getting a pair of 12V batteries (sized appropriately) with a "quick-change" wiring harness
    so that you could run the CPAP with the two batteries wired in series at night,
    then charge it from the bike during the day by wiring them (both) in parallel with the bike's electrical system..."
  7. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JRWooden I rigged up a second battery in the pannier of my KLR and it seemed to work fine but in the process of testing I found I could power my Respironics system one with the factory 12v plug and my stock battery would power it all night at setting of 7-20 its an auto unit with the heat off. I could still start the bike the next morning so I pulled the second battery and just carried a little lithium jump starter but I never had to use it.
    I recently purchased the Airmini with the 12v plug and am planning on attempting to power it off the bikes battery and carry a jump starter. As of this moment I have not tested it due to the whole corvid restrictions going on.
  8. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, this has been done and of course it works.

The disadvantage, assuming your are talking about lead acid, is the weight.

The disadvantage of using your bikes battery solo is that eventually you will not be able to sleep close enough to your bike to use the battery. Or you have to remove and replace the battery after use (inconvenient)

Weight is why others have used lithium batteries. Lithium can also be charged from the bike. Small lithium batteries, which most are, will only give you 1 to 2 nights use.

I went one step further with buying a 30 amp/hour lithium so I KNOW I will get 5+ days of cpap use out of one charge.

Everything is a balancing act. You need to determine what is important to YOU.
  9. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    How many days of riding does it take to charge it from the bike?
  10. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can assure you it does not take days to recharge.
  11. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone thought of using their cpap when out in public to reduce the corona threat?

This thought came to me this morning. I know the homemade masks really do little to prevent infection and spreading, the paper or painters masks are bette .
  12. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a time long ago when I used a powered air purifying respirator or self-contained breathing apparatus with full cantonment suit to enter contaminated or hazardous areas. Yeah, I think we should all wear plastic suits and air tanks. CPAP is not enough.
  13. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    I can't tell if you're being serious or trolling?
  14. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been in a BLS 4 lab. I was a bit nervous. I also worked in a fab. Had to bunny up for bpth places. The fab was much better.
  15. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a random thought that popped into my head and I thought it would meas with peoples heads.
  16. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    My first thought was, "how in the hell would you get it on under your helmet?!?" Then I realized that the question wasn't while riding, just out and about. You had me for a moment, I'll admit.
    I been to several FEMA HAZMAT courses in Anniston, AL and the last one was through their nerve agent training. The pucker factor was quite high for me, but I'm still alive! :twitch
  17. TomInCA

TomInCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those that monitor their CPAP data, OSCAR 1.1.0 has been released this version has improved support for many CPAP devices. Freeware, and you will have to over-ride the warning that Windows or Mac protected your machine. This is several generations from what some of you know as Sleepyhead. Faster, and better. OSCAR is Open Software CPAP Analysis Reporter. https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
  18. Serevince

Serevince Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, thank you to all who have contributed in this thread. Wealth of info.

Lifelong apnea sufferer, started CPAP in 2015. Changed my life in many positive ways. Also some negative. Haven't done a back country hunt or overnight hike/camp since. Eased back into the outdoors with my home unit and a 12v car battery, via my roof top tent 2 years ago. Only had one bad experience, when I decided to ditch my battery only to discover my truck has no constant 12v source, AND auto shuts off the engine after 15min. Long night. Ended up discovering I could change the vehicle settings and ran the truck for 5 hours. Lol, not ideal. Wanting to push further abroad via motorcycle, do some camping, etc.

Downloaded OSCAR (thanks TomInCA). Very consistent over the past year.
    Average Pressure 10.07
    Min Pressure 4.00
    Max Pressure 14.06
    95% Pressure 13.28
    Average EPAP 10.07
    Min EPAP 4.00
    Max EPAP14.06

Resmed Airsense 10

Pulling the trigger on this setup from another CPAP thread here.

That thread hasn't been bumped in 6mo. Any changes you'd recommend?

HDM Z2 Auto with a Poweradd pilot pro 32000mAh battery

List from Pdrhound.

ps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041CDPQO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DN0KBXU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WVML9M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.cpapdirect.com/travel-cpap/hdm-z2-auto-travel-apap-machine-with-z-breathe

Thanks

Vince
  19. messickk

messickk n00b

Oddometer:
    I was going to go with a similar setup as Vince. I was thinking of going with this battery (
    Krisdonia 50000mAh Laptop Power Bank)
  20. Lurker Lynne

Lurker Lynne MBtoomanydigits wife Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates to charging off the bike?