CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just logged on to ask this same question.

Planning on running the MABDR soon and will need to charge my PS-45 along the way. I already have a Gerbing 12v DC cable hooked up for my heated jacket, I was going to route that to the pannier to charge the PS-45, but i'm nervous about overcharging with that setup. Is that possible with a straight connection to the bike?
  2. Alphadog7

Alphadog7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So after reading this wealth of info, I'd just like to clarify: I just ordered the larger Anti Gravity for my 1200GS, (480 CCA with reStart) I use a Dream Station set to 13, with no humidifier or heater. I have a 12V car power cord for it. I should be good indefinitely with this setup, assuming I'm riding every day enough to recharge, and have a wire long enough to reach the tent, correct?
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Antigravity

Antigravity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning all! So the unit will charge off of the bike but will not likely get up to 100%, probably closer to 70% or so. We tested using our 12v cig adapter since you want to have something regulated for the voltage and there might be some alternatives that provide higher voltage acceptance but that's something we're still looking into. As Scott mentioned, it takes charge at a higher voltage (15v 2.5amps) so it should be possible but we want to have a component/adapter that does so and still ensures the device is protected.
    -Chad
    chad@antigravitybatteries.com
    GS Weaver and Bigbob1 like this.
  4. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    -This is what I have done with my KLR and the bike started in the morning. I used a Respronics System One auto set to 7 to 20. I have a battery tender lead hooked to the bikes battery, Then a battery tender 12 foot extension, then a homemade 4 foot cord with the SEA battery tender plug on one end and a 12v cig plug on the other, then the 12v cord plugged into the System One.

I do carry a little lithium jumpstarter just in case the bike doesn't start but I have not had to use it.

I recently purchased an Airmini but due to Covid I have not camped with it. I am still amazed at how small the Airmini is compared to my System One.
  5. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be worried about over charging so much but as I just touched on in the previous response you would likely not get the PS-45 up to 100%, which in all honestly should still be pretty good just depending how long you're needing to run your CPAP without recharging.

This may/may not be the case depending on what the unit is actually drawing...the thing to note is that the Battery (guessing an ATX12-HD-RS?) is really only about an 8Ah battery(16PbEq) so it's not a huge amount of capacity in comparison to something like the PS-45...plus the Re-Start feature is designed to shut the battery off with enough capacity left to still be able to start the bike so you're really not getting full access to the complete 8Ah and could come up short in runtime.
    GS Weaver likes this.
  6. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    Hi Bigbob1...just wanted to inquire which battery you have been using and how long you've been able to run you cpap off of your set up?
  7. Alphadog7

Alphadog7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You Chad, I do have a battery block as a back up, I will take it along this time to make sure I don't come up short. Its good for two nights use, but won't charge on the bike.
    Antigravity likes this.
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am using a 14ah AGM stock replacement that I get from my NAPA store. When I camp I get about 6 hours of sleep, I am old and don't sleep much longer even at home.
    Antigravity likes this.
  9. Antigravity

Oddometer:
    Got it! Totally makes sense in comparison to the other battery as you have a bit more capacity to work with...I'm the same way when camping and can't sleep more than 6 hours.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  10. kymcorider

kymcorider n00b

Oddometer:
    List from Pdrhound.

ps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041CDPQO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DN0KBXU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WVML9M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.cpapdirect.com/travel-cpap/hdm-z2-auto-travel-apap-machine-with-z-breathe

silly question but trying to recharge my sena10u pads off the poweradd and both are toast. i used the USB plug (not sure if i used the 1a plug or the 2.4a plug)... i have tons of charging capacity on the goldwing and considering buying
    Sena SC-A0302 Powerbank Portable Battery Pack to be recharged when riding and recharging the 10u pads at night... thoughts? p.s. the hdm z1 work flawless using the poweradd...
  11. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Not just no, but hell no. Not sure why you want to charge batteries with a battery unless you're camping. But more importantly, NEVER, EVER buy a battery being sold by a proprietary company that can't even bother to tell you the Ah of the battery. There is a reason for that, it's hugely over priced for the Ah you're getting just so it says Sena.

Call Sena and ask about your 10u pads. They should charge off any 5V device, powerbox or 12v stepdown usb. Does the poweradd have a USB port dedicated to charging it, as opposed to the ports charging other devices?
  12. kymcorider

kymcorider n00b

Oddometer:
    The power add input (recharge) port is a round connector very similar to the connection for my heated gerbings...
  13. kymcorider

kymcorider n00b

Oddometer:
    The USB outlets are either 5a/1v or 5a./2.4v. Wasn’t sure which one I used...
  14. kymcorider

kymcorider n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes I’m trying to plan for all possibilities including tent camping without electricity... the only spots I could find for sturgis in august had no electrical. The poweradd will run my portable cpap without a problem. I should be able to recharge multiple power eaters overnight from the 32000mAmps available on the poweradd.
  15. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Gotcha, so theres no way you could have done it wrong. It would be the other way around, 5v/1a or 5v/2.4a, but neither should have been a problem. 2.4 just would have charged faster. Sena's standard answer is to only charge with the Sena wall charger, which is 1amp.

Any warranty left on your 10u?
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Another option I used when I moto-camped with the CPAP was a 100' extension cord that I made up myself from two wire cord at Home Depot. Bought a couple of plugs and 100' of cord, wired them in and done. Cost me about $40, IIRC. 16/2 insulated portable power cord $0.38/Ft.
  17. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    USB are always 5 volts. Amps can be 1 or 2.4
    gpfan likes this.
  18. kymcorider

kymcorider n00b

Oddometer:
    14 months old. seems like oil changes, tire replacement and sena equipment are on a similar schedule....LOL
  19. Neville1111

Neville1111 Gone to have fun Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the Goal Zero? https://www.goalzero.com/shop/sherpa-power-banks-and-accessories/sherpa-100ac-power-bank/

I have a Dream station Go which has a one night battery already and then I use the GoalZero for the second night. Usually on multi day trips we will at the very least get to a place to eat for an hour so I can put the dream station back on charge and charge the goal zero on the bike as we ride.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthc...1/dreamstation-go-portable-pap-therapy-system

It works for a few days have not tried a 6 or 7 day trip yet.
  20. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Received my PS-45 Power Station this afternoon. Great service considering I ordered it Sunday afternoon. Topping off the charge and will be testing tonight and possibly tomorrow night. Would love to be able to get two night's use from it. We will see.
    Antigravity and Bigbob1 like this.