CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a lot of weight to carry around!
    Stasher1 and mb90535im like this.
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I can carry 3 PS-45s and they weigh less and take less space than my lead Hoveround battery. Plus they're having a 30% off sale this weekend.
  3. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, but if you're simply looking for a battery backup for the home or won't be doing any backpacking with it, the weight isn't that big a deal, imo.

Personally, I'm looking for the lightest option primarily for backpacking with an occasional moto-camping trip. So far, the Poweradd Pilot Pro and the Medistrom Pilot 12 Lite are the lightest suitable batteries I've found to power my Dreamstation and/or the HDM Z1/Z2.

For the price of one Medistrom Pilot Pro, you can nearly buy three PS-45's. Definitely something to keep in mind if weight isn't an issue, like in a camper.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  4. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    My lead Hoveround battery is my back up for power at our cabin which goes out it seems anytime there is a thunderstorm in the area. It works fine for that purpose and stays under my side table on a battery tender. A couple of weeks ago was my first bike camping trip in over 40 years. It became evident very quickly that even though we were in a campground with electricity available to recharge the battery during the day while out riding, that it simply was not practical from a size and weight perspective, nor was it conducive to multi-day off the grid trips.

So that is what led me to give the PS-45 a try. I know I can get 1.5 nights with it via its 110V output I have ordered a 2nd PS-45 which in theory at least should give me 3 completely off the grid nights. I can live with that.
  5. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    PS45 still has several red flags- not recommended for cpap, questionable output voltage, and the biggest one for me- 18V recharge requirement. My xp10 swelled after a few years of use- which was not comforting on a long ride where I was sharing a tent with the thing.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  6. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I agree questionable output voltage from DC, and I intend to do more at home testing using the 110 AC before taking off on a multi-day off grid trip, but I am hopeful that with to of them I can manage two if not three nights having two units. For stationary off grid camping, which we plan to do as we transition into retirement, I'll explore the solar recharging option.
  7. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The PS-45 is using circuitry to up the voltage from 12 volts to 110 volts. Your adapter is then using circuitry to lower it from 110 volts to the 12 volts at your cpap. That is terribly inefficient.

For the PS-45 12 volt port it is not managing the voltage. You get what the battery has. That means it starts at roughly 12.5 volts and goes down as it is drained. Since the battery on the PS-45 has a "size" you are limited to what it can provide. When fully charged my hunch is the PS-45 will provide your cpap with a few hours of power and then it goes under voltage. The 110 is controlled to stay at 110 so it will last longer.

Look at my earlier post about the battery I bought. The AirMini is a 24 volt unit so I bought a 24 volt 30 amp/hour lithium battery. I made two very simple circuit controllers to allow my bike to charge the battery to 24 volts and one to control the voltage going out so the voltage stays constant at 24.1 volts to my cpap. The cpap is too valuable to allow unconditioned power to it.

I get 5 plus nights out of a full charge. And because I am paranoid about running out of juice I also bring the battery designed and sold for the AirMini. That little battery gets me 1 1/2 nights and it fits in my hand. I am fairly confident I can be power self sufficient for 7 nights before needing a charge. I also have the flexibility to charge either the big or little battery to stretch it further.

2 PS-45's will take up too much space and add more weight.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  8. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
    If I wasn't completely ignorant of all things electrical I'd try that. You should consider packaging and selling them, especially if you're getting 5 nights from a full charge.
  9. Stasher1

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this is old news to most of you, but there's something nice about being able to simply take something out of the box, charge it, and have it ready to go without any issues.

The other day I scored a really good deal (roughly 1/3 retail) on a new "open box" Medistrom Pilot 12-Lite, and it just took all of the guesswork out of powering my Dreamstation. Charges quickly, fairly light weight, comes with the correct cord to power the Dreamstation, and charges using the Dreamstation factory cord. Simple.

I have another Poweradd Pilot Pro on the way to replace the defective one I received, but I don't even think I'm going to open it. I think I'm just going to send it back to Amazon apply that money towards a new lighter and more compact travel CPAP machine.
    Jabba likes this.
  10. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    That has been my experience with the same combo- until my cord suddenly stopped working. I will continue to fire it up before setting off on a trip. Lesson learned.
  11. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for a follow up, at an average of pressure of 7 with my Z2 auto, I'm getting 4+ nights out of my PS-45. For the compact size and weight of my set up, I couldn't be happier.
    Junkbonds and mb90535im like this.
  12. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    That's great. I wonder if I would need a new prescription for a completely variable machine. Mine is set to 14. Not sure what she exhale pressure drops to. I would be thrilled with 4 nights.
  13. Ofdirt4dirt

Ofdirt4dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    I can't believe we are in 2020 and there still isn't a good relatively inexpensive battery option for lightweight camping with a cpap... trying to plan my first BDR trip, not sure i can survive without my cpap for a few days :clap.

I plan to take my old resmed and was thinking to plug into 110 outlet inverter on a battery and then charge during the day off the bike. (it is 24 v DC)
  14. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I'm starting a 3 night test with my two PS-45s via 110. The PS-45 is simply not going to power my CPAP via 12V DC as I had wished. Carrying two PS-45s will still be a lot better weight and size wise over my lead Hoveround battery which only gave me 1 full night.
  15. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again- get a 12V Phillips Remstart Auto and plug it into the bike or a Poweradd. Lot's of them out there on the used market and cheap, reliable, and small. No need to stop for a day and recharge something.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  16. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a PS-45 based on the customer service and responses I've seen here, and good results purchasing a lithium battery for my V-Rod (H-D was the only source for replacement locally, and not cheap). Ordered on Monday, it arrived today. We've been having power outages here at the house, and the big boat anchor battery I've been clipping an inverter to isn't carrying me through the night. I actually have two auto-PAP machines: an old Phillips Respironics like in the first post of this thread, and a Transcend I bought for a trip to Australia because of its size and now use for frequent work travel because I can leave it in its travel bag and not disturb my home set-up. I don't know my settings because it has been a long time. I really should get re-checked but it hasn't been a problem.
    I will try the 12VDC Phillips when I can, directly from the DC port on the PS-45, but I really want to be able to dry-camp with the 18VDC Transcend for one or two nights using the built-in inverter. I may eventually get one of the solar charging panels from AntiGravity which will work well for our trials events but not so much for say, motorcycle travel where I won't be stationary during the day.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  17. Winger57

Winger57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Stasher1

Oddometer:

I agree. You can pick up a used/refurbished Remstar from someplace like Secondwindcpap and a Poweradd for not much more than the cost of a Medistrom Pilot 12 or 24, and the combo should (theoretically) be able to keep you going indefinitely, as long as you can charge the Poweradd from the bike while you ride.
  19. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
  20. Ofdirt4dirt

Ofdirt4dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    What size powradd do you use? I only need it to last one night at a time. I can charge while riding the next day.