1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CPAP. Is my ADV life over? NO!!!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by NachoRoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  2. kymcorider

kymcorider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    let me please repeat my warning about the poweradd pilot pro... it works excellent for cpap/recharging phone/usb fan/usb light. Mine fried TWO (2) different sena 10Upads that were no longer under warranty. out of desperation i bought the Sena portable battery. riding solo it will recharge my sena for 3 nights before needing juice. easily recharged on the bike at the same time as the poweradd.
    I hope others have had different results. could perhaps be something specific about the 10UPad

https://www.sena.com/product/10upad
  3. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is probably somewhere in the previous posts, but does anyone have a part # for the correct cord to connect a Medistrom Pilot 12 Lite to a Z2?
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    I reached out to Medistrom thru Amazon- asked a question on the page where my battery was listed. They answered really quickly and sent me a (free!) replacement cord for my machine.
    Stasher1 and JRWooden like this.
  5. BeanRidin'

BeanRidin' Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stasher1 and JRWooden like this.
  6. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    my power add had a cable like that that fit you cant see the size of the pins that is the difference on some of the cables but for 15$ id try it
  7. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need some help from you folks. My wife and I ride two KTM 690's and two BMW R1200GSA's. We camp off both for 4-6 days before a motel - maybe now more during these covid times.
    We both use ResMed S-10 series machines, her an Airsense 10 - Autoset and I have the Aircurve 10 - Vauto. We both have the Resmed 12 to 24 volt adapter cord we've used off our toyhauler's 12-volt system.
    Both of these machines require a step-up adapter to a 24-volt power from a 12-volt battery.
    Question: Does this "step-up" make the Resmed device inefficient versus a 12-volt cpap/bipap device regarding battery power? Am I starting with the wrong machines to camp off our bikes?

More battery questions later........
  8. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    It's been a looooong time since I used my S9 off the bike, but a big part of why I switched to a 12V machine was due to not having to carry that extra power supply brick and saving a little weight. But to answer your question, yet not answer it, I don't recall how much more inefficient the S9 is over my Phillips Remstar.
  9. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Update on poweradd Battery.
    Sat for 10 months. Still had 70% charge. Used it at home for 2 nights, charged up fine and left for 10 days on the CDT trail. No issues at all. Bought it for $80. So im at $3/night if battery dies tomorrow. Charged from 30% to 90% in about 4 hours plugged into my battery tender.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  10. davepen

davepen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Please help me verify something.

First, here is my CPAP (a venerable ResMed S8):

IMG_0734.jpeg

Here is my 12V adapter for the S8:

IMG_0735.jpeg

The S8 varies it's power draw based on inhale/exhale. The S8 plate indicates it draws 2.5A @ 12V, the adapter indicates 3.1A @ 12V. I'm assuming that when using the adapter, the overall draw is that of the adapter. Do you think this is a correct assumption?

Based on these numbers being the maximum draw (and ignoring the variable voltage of inhale/exhale), what would a suitably-sized battery be?

Any thoughts? Thanks all.
  11. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent a week riding and camping.

I got 6 nights out of my battery and AirMini. There is enough reserve to power another 2 nights.

I am a happy camper...ha ha ha
  12. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    resmed mini and pilot 24 charging cables?

1. can anyone remind me which cables i need for quick charging of the pilot 24 if i am on the road and having lunch that had AC power?

2. can someone also let me know if i can charge the battery at the same time i am using the resmed mini when i have AC power?

3. how long should i get out of this pilot 24 and how do i know it is fully charged again?

last time i had this thing out on the bike i forgot a cable and i can’t find my notes on this.

THANKS

Attached Files:

13. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    simultaneous (?) AC charging battery and powering unit

Attached Files:

14. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    AC charging unit and AC charging the battery separately with two sets of power cords?

Attached Files:

15. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    DC charging the battery on the bike and DC charging the battery and powering the unit simultaneously?

Attached Files:

16. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    so i need to bring one AC power cord for the unit, one AC power cord for the battery, the DC power cord for the battery, then the battery to unit adapter - for running the unit off the battery or for simultaneous charging and running the battery with AC and DC power cords?

A. anyone know what this cable is? it has the little corner sliced off on the wrong side to fit the unit?

B. anyone know how long it takes to charge that battery with the various options (direct DC, direct AC, simultaneous DC and simultaneous AC) again?

THANKS

Attached Files:

17. Junkbonds

Junkbonds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your earlier question was how long will the battery last. About 1 1/2 nights of use.

To AC charge the battery you need the 120 volt charger for the AirMini and the adapter that your other pic shows.

You can DC charge the battery if you have the battery adapter to do it.

Simultaneous charging and using? I remember trying that and I think the results are you can do one but not both.

A. that goes from the AC charger to the battery.
    B. several hours.
    motorrad3DP likes this.
  18. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    hey man. thanks for the help and sorry for the multiple posts. i am trying to get sorted and there is a lot here.

so i found TWO more chargers. one seems to be a dedicated 65W DC CONVERTER for the resmed mini. and another seems to be a dedicated 90W DC CONVERTER for the battery.

so that is five total items with two being AC and DC power for the mini. then three are DC CONVERTER power for battery, 90W AC ADAPTER power for the battery and one being a small cigarette style plug for the battery.

also i’m including a pic of just the items for running the resmed mini with DC and AC and the adapter for the battery.

it kind of would be good to know for sure if you can charge the battery while running the mini and if so how fast. but also to figure out what i can leave at home. this is a truck tom of gear.

also the other questions would be how fast does the:

1. RESMED 90W DC CONVERTER plug charge the battery
    2. RESMED 90W AC ADAPTER plug charge the battery
    3. this DC cigarette plug charge the battery.

Attached Files:

19. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    OK. i am putting it together here. i also figures out the SHORT cable is used to charge the battery with the 20W AC ADAPTER. but note this takes 7-8 hours to charge the battery and you will be using the DC ADAPTER that you would otherwise use to run the mini.

answers from medistrom:

1. 90W AC adapter for my resmed 10 (this item appears to ONLY charge the battery?) This takes 2-3 hours to charge the medistrom battery.
    2. 20W AC adapter (only powers the resmed mini from AC power) This adapter when plugged with the shortest cable in the pilot 24 lite box, it takes 5-7 hours to fully charge the pilot 24 lite.
    3. Resmed 90W DC converter (DC adapter for charging MEDISTROM) This takes 2-3 hours to charge the pilot 24 lite battery
    4. Resmed 65W DC-DC converter (DC converter for powering resmed mini) This adapter when plugged with the shortest cable in the pilot 24 lite box, it takes 3-4 hours to fully charge the pilot 24 lite.
    5. short cable: unknown? This is called the short charging adapter for resmed airmini (aka the shorsest cable in the pilot 24 lite box)
    6. long cable: powers resmed mini from medistrom? Yes, this is used to power your airmini CPAP from the pilot 24 lite battery.
    7. DC to medistrom- how long does it take to charge it? The DC output cable for the resmed airmini is only used to power your airmini from the battery. Not to charge the battery.”

Attached Files:

20. motorrad3DP

Oddometer:
    alright. here is what i have. i accidentally took a power charger that took 5-7 hours. but below appears to be what i need. one DC charger, one AC charger and the cable from the battery to the mini.

Attached Files: