Cracked WR250R engine in Fairbanks! Help!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by PNWParker, Jul 1, 2019.

1. PNWParker

PNWParker @roughpass on instagram

Oddometer:
    Hey folks!

I recently rode up to Prudhoe Bay for the first leg of an Alaska to Argentina trip. On the way back I went down, got back up to keep riding and my chain snapped and cracked my crank case. You can read a bit about in my ride report.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/alaska-to-argentina-on-a-wr250r.1384504/page-3

At the time, my insurance told me they’d total the bike so I flew back to Oregon and bought a new bike with some of my travel budget to pick up the trip heading south, thinking I’d get a decent payout for the WR to recoup the cost. Now they’ve decided to not cover it after all and I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’m back in the lower 48 and about to head into Mexico.

Im willing to sell it for cheap but I’m hoping to find someone up there who has a little free space to store the bike for a bit. I’m planning on being back in the states for a little bit in September and could fly up and fix it then, or if some blessed soul is up for the JB weld challenge, I have a friend who is up for flying up and riding it back to Portland sooner.

I’m open to suggestions!
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    I left a post on your other thread. don't sell a good epoxy job short, and there are other bodges that can make it run too.... like some .040" 2024 T3, Cherry Max, and ProSeal... if it were in Anchorage I'd give it a shot. as for the insurance company.... some of us want to know who they are, so we can avoid them. fuck those guys
    ksucoach83, 9Realms and AK650 like this.
  3. PNWParker

Oddometer:
    It was Progressive Insurance. I’m not even mad about them not covering it. Policy is policy and I get that. It’s the bait and switch I got from the agents that has my panties in a bunch about it. I was told for weeks it was going to be fully covered and then they found their loophole in the policy at the last minute and pulled the rug out from under me.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the loophole is......?
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic

Oddometer:
    We decided not to cover it.
  7. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I touched base with @PNWParker and I think i can get him helped out in Anchorage, any inmates happen to be heading to Anchorage and can bring the bike down? I'd even consider a bike relay if someone is heading south at all. Let me know
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in the early 90s I picked up an 86 or so ATC250r cheap with a cracked case. Patched it with some marine epoxy and it was still holding when I traded it off. Wish I had kept it now.
  9. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have semi- dry storage, and a TIG welder in Homer.
    If you can get Carlile, Lynden, or an independent trucker to drop it near Homer, I can grab the bike, store it for you.
    I ride a WR250, and know my way around one a bit. If it looks repairable, I'd take a swing at the job.
    Welding is more of a hobby for me, so if it fixes, it's a freebie.
    As is storage.
    Good luck with transport.
    shuswap1 and AKDuc like this.
  10. Beezer

Oddometer:
    the loophole is you filed a claim. maybe the aren't as bad as Hartford though. a scammer hit my wifes car (barely) (the mirrors hit) cracked our mirror, no damage to his car at all, but they paid him $5000 for "damages" and whiplash, etc. and.... they did not tell us. I called them and they said they had just paid it. in other words, they abetted insurance fraud. of course the raised our rates for 5 years to pay their loss. needless to say I did not stay with those fucking crooks.
  11. PNWParker

Oddometer:
    Progressive decided to split the claim in two and denied the chain/engine claim by saying it was purely a mechanical failure, which isn’t covered.

If anybody is making the trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage or Homer any time soon and can get the bike to @mach1mustang351 or @Full Power that would be immensely helpful. It’s at Northern Powersports in Fairbanks and they aren’t charging me storage fees at the moment, but I think theirs a limit to their storage generosity so I don’t want to leave it there indefinitely.
    mach1mustang351 likes this.
  12. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Fairbanks and hoping another inmate can help out as I cannot. There's major fire 10 miles to the west and heading this way. I don't want
    another bike to move if we have to bug out. If you want the bike to go to Anchorage any of the shipping companies can pick it up from Northern
    Power Sports, most of them are nearby, and its not unusual for trailers to be lightly loaded going south. My truck is not going out of town right now.
    If I hear of anyone going south I'll have them contact you. Good luck. The guys on this forum are a good bunch of people and I've met many of them.
    david
  13. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    I can haul the bike to Anchorage, but it'll be after the 15th.
  14. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm good with that if it works work @PNWParker
  15. PNWParker

Oddometer:
    That totally works for me! I’ll DM you and we can work out deets so I can let Northern Powersports know you’re coming. Thanks!!!!!
  16. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a motorcycle trailer or hitch carrier in Fairbanks I can borrow? I can get the bike down to Anchorage in the next few days but don’t have a way to transport it with a cap on my truck bed.
  17. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    It should fit if you lay it down.
  18. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I have a baby truck, Tacoma with a 5ft bed.
  19. PNWParker

Oddometer:
    Lay it down?!?! And scratch up my virtually destroyed motorcycle with scratches and gouges on the right side and a blown engine on the left?!? That’s actually totally fine. You wouldn’t hurt the bike anymore that I already have hauling it that way. Seems like it’d be a pain in the butt to get it in and out of a truck with a cover sideways though.

Last I saw it, it had a full tank of gas and still had most of the oil in it. If you laid it down as is, it’d probably piss gas all over your truck bed over the course of the drive.
  20. Beezer

Oddometer:
    gettin it out is easy. tie it to a tree and drive off