Craigslist Airhead Finds...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lounge, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mobiker and dmftoy1 like this.
  3. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exact same ad showed up in CT craigslist. Scam.
    dmftoy1 and jdubb75 like this.
  5. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He must have purchased the 36 year extended warranty plan...:hmmmmm:D
    p3ga and jdubb75 like this.
  6. OneTireFryer

OneTireFryer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. OLD GREEN

Oddometer:

No, not a rat, just a bit of a Craigslist flake. I just saw that he posted a new ad asking $9,950. :lol3
    Texer likes this.
  8. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But what would the restorers and other experts pay for it?
  9. OLD GREEN

Oddometer:

Jason, It's admirable trying to help your aging neighbor, I get that. Society as a whole would be better with more of us trying to help one another and to try and build a strong sense of community. As you've found out over the past 24 hours the airhead BMW community is a very tight knit, helpful and transparent one. With just a little bit of research you could have honed in on an appropriate asking price for the bike before posting it for sale. The information is out there in the many "How much is this bike worth" threads on forums such as this one. Or you could of started one yourself (welcome to the asylum by the way), as these tend to generate a lot of dialog and information both helpful and otherwise. The information is also well documented in previous online auction results on sites even as impersonal as ebay.

By posting an item for sale on IBMWR (which explicitly states in bold red letters at the top of the page that the item must include a price) for $3,000 then changing it to $5,500 on the same site the next day while simultaneously posting it on Craigslist for a variety of prices, it makes you look suspect. I do not believe that is your intent but it is how you appear to some in the community.

And no, I do not feel slighted nor truthfully do I really need anymore broken old motorcycles in my collection at this time (at least according to my wife. :lol3) At this point for me it's just as much about the hunt. Was I specifically looking for another R69US? No, not really. Am I always looking for a good deal? Absolutely, and at your original "asking price", yours was. But of course, you know that now.:D

And just to keep us on track, anybody here have a ski boat they're not using? :hmmmmm

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/d/huntington-woods-r90s-bmw-motorcycle/6900735323.html

This R90S looks way more fun!
    ozmoses, elmontanero and dmftoy1 like this.
  10. AdventureJason

AdventureJason n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lessons learned by this self-proclaimed n00b. Thanks Matt, and others. I'll be way better at this next time I do it. And I do apologize for the missteps. Sincerely.

Gettng back to business, there's a motorcycle available that people on this board might be interested in. If that describes you, you know how to reach me, and I invite you to do so.

Again, thanks. Honestly.

-- Jason
  11. AdventureJason

Oddometer:
    Wow -- tough crowd here, eh?

I wrote a splendid n00b post, introducing myself. ;)

I'm embarrassed it didn't post, for whatever reason, and that link is broken. I told a great story of the many (mostly Honda) bikes I've owned over the years, including a VF700S that I put more than 100k miles on during and after college, crossing the USA twice and touring both coasts, and I recounted the dozen or so countries I've ridden in since, as well as the four motos that currently occupy my garage and yard.

Maybe, because I'm such a flailing n00b, my inclusion of off-site, off-topic links or grandiose posturing resulted in it getting flagged and pulled. So I'll refrain from repeating such offences in this reply, except to repeat two things I included that were particularly genuine:

1) If you're interested in learning more about me, find it here: http://www.flipsidemoto.com/
    2) If you're interested in a new riding partner in the Portland, OR, area -- look me up.

Cheers,

-- Jason
  12. WooPig

WooPig Proudly Patinaed

Oddometer:
    Are we really presuming to educate this man about the “proper” way to sell a bike?
    So we didn’t get to buy it for an exploitatively low price. I smell sour grapes.
    airheadPete, Motorius and sprouty115 like this.
  13. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get that, but I also see the other side. Someone went to buy this bike and the price suddenly goes up 300%? That's pretty shitty.

No winners in this - All we are left with is whiners.
    dmftoy1 likes this.
  14. Cycle Goon

Cycle Goon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could have bought it and done the same.
  15. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Why is @AdventureJason still here? He came to ADVrider to specifically sell a bike and then is doing bait and switch and running an auction in a forum not designed for sellers to post in. I call for the ban hammer.
  16. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    No auctions on our site, and no selling stuff that doeesn't belong to you. Like I posted when I deleted your spam in the Welcome Mat forum, please read the site and Flea Market rules.

I'm going to delete your posts now @AdventureJason .

Easy there big fella! :lol3

No ban hammer, the guy is new and just needs to read the rules. :D
    ozmoses, OLD GREEN, dmftoy1 and 2 others like this.
  17. AdventureJason

Oddometer:
    Folks, I'm sorry -- I sincerely am. With good intentions, I misused the forum and left some folks -- @OLD GREEN , at least -- feeling a bit burned.

In an effort to find a creative way of going about this, without getting into the eBay fray, I unknowingly broke a rule or two. I bet you've never broken a rule or two, knowingly or not, right? Anyway, that was not my intention. I'm just trying to find the most fair and equitable way to unload a motorcycle to the community that would enjoy it the most -- not see it get parted out or sold to someone who'll otherwise hack it -- and get the best price for my old fart neighbor. I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities and went against the grain a bit.

I hold the ADVRider community in high regard. I've been a periodic lurker for years. I've been a contributor for years on other forums. I get how this goes.

Flame me. Banish me. Mods, delete my posts. ...if you must. Honest mistake. Sorry. Truly. Forgive? <Hangs head in shame and departs at idle speed.>

-- J.
  18. kenbob

kenbob Gnarly GnOOb

Oddometer:
    Beverly Hills, Mt -swimmin pools,movie stars
    Uke, Texer, elmontanero and 4 others like this.
  19. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apologies sound more sincere without sarcasm. Just sayin'.
    spo123, dmftoy1 and AdventureJason like this.