Craigslist Airhead Finds...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lounge, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    As is often the case, there is more (or less) than meets the eye. Reply from seller:

Not much on history previous owner had it for years and loved the bike. The tank started to leak so he stopped riding it. I sealed the tank with a tow part epoxy by Caswell plating. The speedo has 14k on the odometer. The speedo did not work so I replaced it. No tool kit does have tool box. It has been repainted silver. New master cylinder,tires and tubes, battery and seat cover last year.

I'd be leery of the odo mileage.
    jdubb75 likes this.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    A bike that has very low mileage very well can have a leaky gas tank. Water in the atmosphere that condenses inside the tank runs down the sides and collects on the bottom where it proceeds the rust out the seam area at the bottom of the tank. Same thing can happen top a bike that is ridden if the water collects inside the tank it it is not cleaned out regularly. Rusted gas tank seam on the bottom has been a problem for Airheads for may years.

As much as we hear riders complaining about alcohol in the gas I think it has helped eliminate the water in gas problem. Oh we still get that but only if there is a lot of water I think. Small amounts are picked up by the alcohol and passed thru the system.

I'm not a chemist so I have no idea if I'm right or wrong about this. I think I see less water in my carbs these days. Anybody else?
  3. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uke likes this.
  4. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
  6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
  7. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem with ethanol, is it will suck moisture out of the air, too. Not so much a problem on modern vehicles with their emissions control, but on our vented tanks, I think definitely so. If you run ethanol fuel, try this; next time you remove your float bowls, set them aside with the fuel in them for about 15 minutes. I did this here in Hawaii, and in that time, the gas in the bowl had gotten slightly milky, and there was a nickle sized glob of water in the bottom... Switched to non-ethanol after that!
    lucky6600 and darmahman like this.
  8. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everyone is fortunately able to local non-ethanol fuel when we need. In our lovely north east of the great United States of America, all we have is 10-15% of ethanol in fuel. When I am out for riding, ethanol isn’t a issue. The problem is the when bikes are not been ridden for awhile.

My solution is empty the tank and carburetor bowls after I got home. Overall, I only ride each bike once to twice a year.
  9. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are 28 gas stations in Connecticut that sell non ethanol. Here they are:
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CT
    lucky6600 likes this.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    lucky6600 likes this.
  11. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Ya, I forgot to mention that I am definitely too cheap for that.
    Texer likes this.
  12. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    It's about $8 here in Los Angeles and you have to buy it in 5 gallon cans and sign a waiver stating it won't used on street vehicles. Wyoming has it at the pump and it costs about the same as all the other flavors.
  13. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to sign a waiver stating you won't use non-ethanol gas in street vehicles? :loco
  15. Goomicoo

Goomicoo Rubber Cow

Oddometer:
    At least in LA County. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same all over Kalifornia
  16. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! In SC, we have a chain (Spinx) that all sell ethanol-free, along with a few others that sell it at a mark-up slightly higher than premium.

In Charleston, regulsr 87 w/ 10% ethanol is about $2.30/gal right now, ethanol-free 87 (all I use in my bikes) is about $2.90/gal
  17. IdahoAirhead

IdahoAirhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in Idaho you can find ethanol free premium at most gas stations, at a premium over the blended stuff of about $1 a gallon
  18. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same with Colorado. Even if it was $10 /gal. I’d do it at storage time. Effin ethanol can really f up a carb or two.
  19. ChairmanMaose

ChairmanMaose OneLessCar

Oddometer:
  20. IdahoAirhead

IdahoAirhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gotta love those red Lesters . . . .