1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Craigslist Airhead Finds...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lounge, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Didn't CA models have castrated carbs and smog equipment? I seem to recall there were three dreaded letters in the serial number that indicated the bad juju versions....
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl ignore list Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the rhetorical Q/A in the ad.

Appears to be well sorted and ready to roll.
  5. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
  6. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    That's a SWEET bike. How someone can build a bike that nice and only put 16k mi on the odometer baffles me, but that means the new owner gets to do it instead!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  7. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    How about 101600 miles, and rather abused miles at that or it wouldn't have needed rebuilding. Doesn't say what the mileage is, does he? How long was the speedo broken? No mention of who did the work but I don't know anyone in Denver I would trust. And the shaft and rear drive weren't touched, if the tranny was bad guess what? No mention of receipts. No mention of shock service or replacement and if the engine needed a rebuild best to set aside 800-1000 for that, etc, etc.
  8. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    If i was actually considering buying it I’d ask enough questions to get to the bottom of most of those concerns. I’m not though, just commenting on a bike that seemingly looks well sorted.
  9. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I agree, it looks nice. But I know it's that front knobby that grabbed you. :clap
    UnclePete likes this.
  10. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    1977 BMW R100RS - $5500 (Sparks)
    [​IMG]
    1977 BMW R100RS up for sale. The bike has been done in a cafe/bobber style. Bike is super reliable, starts up every time. Comes with GPS (this is the speedo). When I rebuilt it, it had 29k miles. Doesn’t leak, no issues. Super clean, super fun bike to ride. Clean title in hand. I don’t need to sell this bike, I just don’t ride it enough, time for someone else to enjoy it. You can make an offer, but please don’t insult me. Don’t need help in selling it either. Call or text, text is best, because I don’t answer phone numbers I don’t recognize...775-three36-eight five eight zero
    https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/sparks-1977-bmw-r100rs/7079343762.html
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    If he doesn't know enough to support the brake lines......

But no tach or warning/charging lights, $25 worth of rattle can covering the corrosion and 3 (three!) motorsport badges are worth something. Not 4500$ but something.
    Bigger Al and DonniBoi like this.
  12. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was an RS?!?!

:eek7

:baldy:baldy:baldy

Those animals. :cry
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    A very small drop on an RS is expensive and difficult to repair. BTDT. A big drop or a deer and the thing is totaled. This would make it a good candidate for some sort of conversion, like to a naked bike or some styling job. But the wiring is all in the headlight bucket and the bolts that hold on the upper fairing bracket are behind the bucket on the head tube. So one has to be good with wiring. Then the bucket is major fugly without the fairing. This idiot didn't even bother to source some interesting bucket. In that year the left side of the bucket has the pivot hole for the ignition switch so that is do-able but at minimum a charging circuit needs to be set up, and maybe a neutral light and oil pressure light for the discriminating rider.

This genius opens his ad with the text, "1977 BMW R100RS up for sale.". No shit sherlock? Thats why you posted on CL with a price. So he isn't the crispest cracker in the box. The ad text is full of stuff that cannot be confirmed and missing stuff a rider would want to know (like what does it use for the rest of the instruments). I strongly suspect it has a clean salvage title. So either he wrecked it or bought a wreck cheap, hacked it up a bit, rattlecanned it and is planning on cashing in from the cafe hipsters. And he just might. But personally I'm not crying for the bike. It would have cost too much to make it an RS again (if it ever was one, TBC via title)
    spo123 likes this.
  14. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's in Canadian $$ too! If only I had the cash I'd but that RS.
  16. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    so would i. but i already have one. mine is not red, though. and the red bikes are the fastest, as we all know.
    Texer likes this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. PapaDontPreach

PapaDontPreach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/d/cornville-bmw-r100-airhead/7081062740.html

BMW R100 Airhead - $3500 (Cornville)
    image 2 of 6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1977 bmw r100

condition: good
    engine displacement (CC): 1000
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 47000
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual
    type: touring

1977 BMW R100 Airhead, very good running BMW with many new components. New front end rebuild by RaceTech,charging system from Euromoto Electric,brakes,brake lines,tires,tubes,wheels cleaned and trued by Woodys Wheel Works,throttle cables,Bing 40mm rebuilt carbs,carb rubbers,fork gaiters,front fork brace. Serious inquires may contact me for any further details or acceptable offer for this BMW.
    Thanks for looking.

Looks like a bit of a bitsa to me, my guess is it started life as RT even if the tail cowl says R100S.
    kenbob likes this.
  19. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Jim K in PA likes this.