1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Craigslist Airhead Finds...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lounge, Jan 20, 2017.

1. UnclePete

UnclePete Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WooPig likes this.
  2. DonniBoi

DonniBoi Out of my element Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Well the guy parked it on top of every grease and oil spot on the pavement then wrote a babbling frook description. Says it is listed 19 weeks ago in CA, no mileage, etc. The stuff you wanna know he doesn't say and the stuff you already know (like it's for sale) he waxes on about.
    lucky6600 and mike54 like this.
  5. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Kind of thinking the same thing. Not a bad deal but not great either. Ukiah is a remote place to go check it out.
  6. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very true ! But asking price is a good starting point.

I have brought home things much worse than that and had more fun than some nice ones.
  7. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Unsold does not mean un-looked at. At that price I imagine it has drawn some attention but prospective buyers realized it would take thousands to make it decent and went away. I just bought an RS like that. It was owned by one of the stupid-by-choice types and he had been wrenching on it. He was also a shouldn't-touch-tools type and indeed he screwed up everything he touched. This was clear before I got out of my car. Running unfiltered oil for I don't know how long trashed the engine. But I planned to part it which wold get the cost into budget and ones in better shape would have cost just as much by the time I got them home. he had it on CL for $3500 for 6 months and it had fresh (if cheap) paint and fancy pinstriping. I knew something was up when he went to 3k immediately. Wanna buy some 1000c jugs with worn nikasil low in the bore? Cheap just for you. I sold the heads to a guy on ebay I have sold stuff to before.

If he is in the middle of nowhere the low price may indicate nobody around that has an interest and no one far that wants to risk driving a lot to see it. Or it could be junk and many have shown up, shook their heads and left (as was likely the case with the bike I bought).

I always add at last $200 to the price just to do the paperwork, more if it needs tires and a service. But if it has the automatic transmission like this one, forget it. Those things are a nightmare:rofl.
    lucky6600 likes this.
  8. Plaka

Oddometer:
    airheadPete likes this.
  9. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't consider 70k as high mileage.
    Do have to wonder why the seller wouldn't do the cheap, easy fix :hmmmmm:fpalm
    "They won’t ever leave you stranded." I can personally attest that this is a lie :D
    WooPig and Solo Lobo like this.
  10. bykpimp

bykpimp Live and let ride

Oddometer:
    7 out of 10 airhead owners I can think of off the top of my head do their own maintenance work. ( They are airheads after all) " service receipts" may be a stretch.
    Bigger Al and DinEW like this.
  11. tgtav8tor

tgtav8tor tgtav8tor

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I owned that bike. Was living in Astoria in 2003 and bought it from an Airhead and retired Naval officer named Tom Mooney. Flew down to San Diego and rode it home. Great trip and great bike. Always regretted selling it, but I already have an RS I've bought twice, so I'll pass.

kenbob likes this.
  12. Plaka

Oddometer:
    That is why 70k is 'high mileage'. I don't trust a village simpleton (per sticker on bike) to do competent maintenance. All these airhead owners might do their own maintenance, but for many it's a bad idea and the bikes suffer.
    patrkbukly likes this.
  13. bykpimp

bykpimp Live and let ride

Oddometer:
    Fer facks sake man, what % zoom did you use to read the guys stickers on his bike?!! I also don't think 70k is high milage. I sold one of my PD's with 246k and to the best of my knowledge it's still on the road. " But for many it's a bad idea" ?? tell me more.
  14. filippp

filippp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/santa-barbara-1972-bmw-r60-5/7086899474.html

My bike posted for sale. Willing to be reasonable with the discerning airhead owner who swears that he will never turn it into a cafe racer.
    Price reflects me trying to break even on how much I've spent.

Edit: I bought it as a sad decrepit mess with the /6 headlight, speedo, controls, etc. The engine and frame are a r60/5 SWB. My mission has been to restore it to its former glory but I can;t afford a $1000 for the headlight bucket and lens alone!
  15. bpw

bpw Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just bought a r60/5 and a r75/7 in the last few months. At least up here in SF bay the market seems real soft currently, Hopefully its a bit better down there and you find a good buyer.
  16. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still hate anything white with wheels
    darmahman and Keithert like this.
  18. DinEW

DinEW Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not me