Craigslist Airhead Finds...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Lounge, Jan 20, 2017.

1. airheadPete

airheadPete Wherever they send me. Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. quietglow

quietglow Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that the person also reposted it for $150. Too bad aerostich is closed on the weekends, or that could be a fun trip to Duluth (which is a really wonderful town for those that haven't been there).
  3. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    For that price, it's worth the trip anyway!
  4. quietglow

Oddometer:
  5. Bluethumb

Bluethumb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow times two! Obviously a lot of work went into every detail of this bike but given the amount of attention to detail, I cannot understand why these mufflers?

Asking price seems extremely optimistic but given today’s crazy market, who knows? Question for those who keep tabs on what makes a m.c “concours “ in this example, does dual plugging take away from the collectibility?
  6. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    *** coming in just after BT here...

Always interesting to see what details are overlooked on a restoration like this:

mirrors
    clock and voltmeter
    grips
    seat cover
    mufflers
    steering damper/knob

These are pretty easy to get right when spending big dollars.

One could argue some of the upgrades like the triple and fork brace are improvements.

Still, someone did spend some bucks trying to do their best on this.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  7. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    I'd say someone schooled in concourse judging for a 90S would have a heavy red pen on the score sheet on this one.
    mslim, MUDHWY, korinthias and 2 others like this.
  8. quietglow

Oddometer:
    "Every part on the entire motorcycle was either repainted, powder coated, chrome plated, or replaced with new OEM parts."

This, along with the claim about stainless replacement parts, is not true. Check out the petcock disconnect (the 15mm one below the petcock) on the starboard side and the set screw on the turn indicator switch.
  9. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Yep, lot to pick on w/ this bike---especially at the price and w/ the boisterous description.

No doubt it could make a great rider for the long term.

Worth noting, comments like this are part of BaT auctions which can be useful to keep things in check.
  10. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    It's a nice looking bike but concourse? I don't think so. There are so many things wrong with this bike, like said previously, a judge would wear out his red pen.
  11. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    those look to be Hoske mufflers. They are well built and have a nice tone. Not cheap! But hardly original…
    mslim likes this.
  12. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Agreed. This is not a concourse bike, and shouldn't demand the price of one. Even the paint job (which looks quality) is slightly off to my eye. I assumed repaint after just seeing the first photo posted here. The Hoske's are cool, and I actually really like them on Airheads, but not original... Bottom line to me, this is a great looking rider that should sell for a decent amount. $20k though? Get bent.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  13. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    Yerp, telltale on the paint was the tank, as you say, right off the bat. That is difficult to get right. Rest of the fades on the fender, fairing and cowl look pretty good though.
  14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    Will it go on BaT and then might it fetch its asking price? IMHO, CL is the wrong medium to use to sell this machine.
  15. tennessee thumper

Oddometer:
    I think that bike would be short range target practice in the BaT comment section, especially if some of those phrases in the description made it thru the listing agent.

Would probably take a relatively uninformed buyer or someone not concerned about originality to get close to the asking price.

Same song, different verse here: lots of $ spent on refurb, seller is adding up receipts to get to the listing price.

Had the seller taken the time to get gauges, seat cover et al correct on the front end, totally different story.

For a lot of folks the real value/appeal in these bikes are ones with original paint, low # of mods and in good cosmetic condition. Those were my criteria when shopping and finding one a few years ago.
    shifterkey likes this.
  16. quietglow

Oddometer:
    Yeah sales like this always make me think about how important the idea of "patina" is. That thing that happens when people try to regain youth via surgery etc happens with vehicles too.
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    While I agree with all you've said it seems like BaT often commands extraordinarily high final prices that are fueled more by auction emotional bidding than pure factual restoration accuracy or original vehicle condition.
    shifterkey likes this.
  18. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I think it'd pull in a few more dollars on BaT than what it could get on CL, but I still think it'd come in shy of that $20k asking price. Especially if, like @tennessee thumper said, words like "concourse" make it into the listing. It'll be a shit show in the comments if that happened.
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should I get Hoske replacement mufflers for my R65 LS?
  20. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Why not, it's only money!
    darmahman likes this.