Craigslist Find Of The Day

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Road Rash, Nov 13, 2009.

1. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    MUDHWY likes this.
  2. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    As long as the buyer's information on the title was left blank, you should be fine. Even if the seller did the online notice of sale, I'd bet that just stays in Oregon's system. Worst case, you can always say that the original buyer was unhappy, the seller took it back and sold it to you.
    MUDHWY and Almost There like this.
  3. SnoSlyder

SnoSlyder n00b

Oddometer:
  4. tblume

tblume Always Be Gambling

Oddometer:
    I know the seller, good guy, no BS.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    Thanks (to all) for the thorough replies. The current owner was thinking he'd connect me to the previous owner for a BOS. It would then be like he never owned it. ???
  6. Almost There

Almost There Up, up, and away

Oddometer:
    If I sold a bike and the buyer didn't register it then sent another buyer my way I'd tell them both where to go. Not my mess to try and straighten out. Who knows what the bike has done/had happen to it when it wasn't in my possession.

The current seller not wanting to have his name involved sounds strange to me. If it was an Oregon to Oregon transfer the DMV would just ask that the current seller fill out a bill of sale. I've bought a few bikes that way with no issues but I've required a bill of sale with name, address, phone, ODL #, and a signature.

If the current seller is worried about the DMV tracking him down for not registering it they don't do that. They just want to have a chain of ownership.
    Chip Seal and MUDHWY like this.
  7. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Bill of sale from both sellers would be the best option. You choose to introduce the middle party at your discretion. My experience is the DMV wants current registration, and with you at the counter. you are the source they will mine.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  8. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Look What You've Done

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is the direction I am headed I think.

Appreciate all the wisdom.
    OR_Rider likes this.
  9. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a pair of ancient Yamaha four-bangers. I owned a couple back in the day and, well, there's a reason we've moved on. Probably sold new for less than what they're asking, but it's a crazy world. They do have low miles and the Radian's a bit of a looker.

89 Radian

radian1.jpg

81 Maxim

maxim1.jpg
    Guano11 likes this.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
  11. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    https://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/d/elmira-1993-harley-heritage-softail/7367189847.html
    This bike is mostly complete, but in pieces. It has survived a fire and has salvaged title.

Original aluminum engine did not survive, but frame matches title number.

I'm including a cone motor to make up for engine. No trans.

Frame, tanks, fenders and other parts look good, but singed. I guess you could say "instant patina"?

Tons of parts in the box. Front fender is dented a bit. Great project for the Harley enthusiast!

Located in Elmira. Possible trade for running ATV. No other trades.

**See my other listings for Harley and auto stuff.

Those people in Eugene are smoking some crazy stuff as I saw lots of WTF (mostly pricing) in that section of CL.

Attached Files:

noyolk and Derek939 like this.
  12. Derek939

Derek939 Available in Extra Medium

Oddometer:
    WTF
  13. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guano11 and Baroquenride like this.
  14. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    I lived in OR for 45 years. Been gone since '11 though. In OR the plate stays with the bike/car. A signed off title means the titled owner released his/her interest. At that point, whomever holds the title paperwork and vehicle in their possession legally owns the vehicle. Theirs to do with what they want. I believe you normally have 30 days to register your new to you vehicle w/o paying extra fees/penalties, check Idaho's rules, since that's where you would register it, presumably. This is why sellers sometimes leave the date and odo blank and let the buyer fill it in.

People do this all the time, buy something when they spot a cheap deal, then turn around and sell it w/o titling it in their name. Others buy something, realize it's not for them and sell it again. No point in paying the state and waiting for a title as long as you have a clear title in hand that's signed off. If you're an actual dealer, that's taboo. Private party, no one cares. Do it a LOT and you might get into problems and be fined for being an unlicensed dealer, if caught at it. Dealers in OR are required to send the paperwork of sales to the DMV directly. They can't even give it to you to take to DMV.

Get a bill of sale from the current seller. That and the signed off title would normally be just fine in OR. CHECK WITH IDAHO DMV to see if that works for them or they want more documentation.

I have had a person come to me in this situation here in MS. I sold a F150 to a buyer from AL. He then sold it to someone else there, but never titled it in his name. AL DMV wasn't happy due to it being a few months between sales and no registered AL owner. I went ahead and signed a bill of sale for him as he held my signed off title and the truck was in the condition it was sold in still. (not wrecked). I later heard that my original buyer borrowed the money from his father, then didn't come up with the cash to pay him, so the father sold the truck after 3 months of waiting on the kid to follow through.

Hope that helps.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  15. DLFLHT

Oddometer:
    In OR, the plate only stays with the vehicle if you choose to leave it with the vehicle. You can take it and transfer it to another vehicle and only pay the title transfer, rather than pay the full DMV. If there's more than a year left on the plate, I keep it and transfer it. Less than a year, I just suck it up and pay full boat for new plates.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  16. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    That's true. My point was that in many states you must turn the plate in when selling a vehicle, which is not the case in OR. Your scenario also presumes you have another vehicle to transfer the plate to. The only people I ever recall keeping their plates when selling in OR were those with custom plates, but as you stated, anyone could opt to and certainly some, like you, do.
  17. DLFLHT

Oddometer:
    You don’t have to transfer the plate immediately. You can hang onto it until you find another vehicle. I have one right now, ready for my next bike.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  18. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure that’s true…

I live in Washington but have bought two bikes from Oregon owners. In both cases they left the plate with the bike and when I asked if they wanted it back they said “No”. Not required to “turn them in”. In Washington they do not stay with the vehicle nor do they need to be “turned in”. The only plates that stay with a vehicle are “collector vehicle” plates. The others you can hang onto or hang on your wall. You can reuse them at a later date should you so desire. When I got Collector Plates for my /5 I had the previous plates. I held onto them and then said I wanted to use them on a bike I purchased later. DMV had zero issue with me doing that and I saved the cost of new plates at the time of title transfer/registration.

Edit: The one issue with reusing plates is they have to be used by an immediate family member residing at the same address.
  19. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sabre, PaulBarton and MUDHWY like this.
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    @PaulBarton - I was referring to the tax advantage of keeping your OR plate and transferring it to another vehicle.

Every state is different. In UT you can use non-current plate designs if they haven't been registered to a vehicle for at least 18 months, (IIRC), regardless of whom they were last registered to. I didn't like the 'Arch' style back in '11, so I bought an older style white w/black lettering plate with a short number/letter combo off ebay and UT DMV had no issues with me registering that plate for my '12 motorcycle at the time. I kept that plate when I moved to MS and it's in the garage hanging on the wall. I should toss it back on ebay.
    MUDHWY and raywilson like this.