Craigslists: "Dumbass of the week" Nominee

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by PBOB, May 22, 2013.

1. motorcycle john

motorcycle john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is owner had full coverage insurance and totaled the machine out and ins company allowed owner to retain the machine for a small fee and now owner will sell it ?
    Owner may even make a profit
    I’m guessing here?
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Making a profit on otherwise totaled salvage titled vehicle of any kind isn't a regular occurrence...

If "profit" was on one's mind, keeping the bike, while getting the check from insurance co, then fixing it by oneself and enjoying it afterwards would yield more than selling it outright - ymmv... :deal
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Some people cannot handle the power and response of a vehicle even the likes of a Ryker. They figure, three wheels, can't tip over, what could go wrong I can handle this. Then nail the throttle instead of learning control and "Holy chit!!!!" Bike takes off a LOT faster than the rider expected, with no knowledge of visual control to avoid looking AT what you want to avoid, and BANG!

Doing the MSF beginner courses, at some time a student shows that even a lowly 250cc single is too much power too quickly for some people.
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    TT 500 "Customized"

upload_2020-5-28_22-47-39.png
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    "The pictures tell it all!" - Finally some truth in advertising on CL!!
  6. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    "The pictures tell it all!"

I'm a dumb ass who has no idea how to make a bike of any style.
    fjer and JagLite like this.
  7. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    fjer, SmittyBlackstone and JagLite like this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    That scenario is quite possible... :hmmmmm

Although, for some strange reason, I'm confident that there were squirrels involved in that potentially distracted driving accident - not sure how many but at minimum one... People can get very easily distracted these days... :jack
    SmittyBlackstone and JagLite like this.
  9. Draechon

Draechon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm, a few interesting things going on here (stickers, handguards, stupid bars, weird seat, dumb license plate position, no visible brake light, etc), but most notably the price.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/d/charleston-2003-harley-sporster/7132037773.html

2003 harley sporster - $5500
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2003 harley sportster
    100th year anniversary 883
    Fully built 1200 engine with the intentions of making 100 hp
    Lots of time and money I have all receipts and can provide if serious. Less then 800 miles on engine and tranny.
    Will entertain trades.
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    "Fully built 1200 engine with the intentions of making 100 hp" :raabia
    JagLite, fjer and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1976 Yamaha XS650 Show Room Condition (completely Restored) - $3900 (Soldotna)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    1976 Yamaha XS650 street tracker

condition: like new
    engine displacement (CC): 650
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 48
    paint color: blue
    street legal
    title status: lien
    transmission: manual
    type: cafe racer

This bike has been professionally restored, all new parts and rebuilt engine, bored out to a 750cc. Has a kick and electric start. All new wiring. Cables, Wheels tires, brakes front and back, New front and rear suspension. New speedo and Tachometer. New lights and switches, Chain. I have all the receipts and paper work for the complete restoration. Tags good to 2021. Runs Great and Fast. These Cafe Racers were built for speed. New paint. This bike is ready for the summer. It's appraised at 6k by a certified appraiser. The bank can loan up to 85 percent of the appraised value. I,m asking $3900.00 that's what I owe on it. Bank has a lien on the title. Pls call between 9am and 9pm can't do texting. With only 48 miles on it, it looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. I just don't ride much anymore. Thanks for looking

Hmmmm... :hmmmmm
    48 miles?
    Listed as a Street Tracker, but he says:
    "These Cafe Racers were built for speed".
    As well as: "...professionally restored..."

I should get my bikes appraised! :jkam
    Nice bike and the price is reasonable for Alaska but the windshield and front fender detract from the rest of the bike.
    Both easy five minute removal fixes. And easy to bolt on for a long ride although I can't see riding far on it.
    Better for short rides around town :ricky
    fjer and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    Don't some folks select unexpected colors for motorcycle paint jobs?
  14. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Theft deterrent...
  15. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He needs to learn what "Restored" means.
    That could better be described as a series of bad decisions.
    drhippie2, fjer and JagLite like this.
  16. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    So, you're bothered with front fender and windshield but are ok with the seat and rear cowl?? :D
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    If anyone of you FFs is looking for a stunning airhead kustom, well you can hold off any further search - your perfect specimen is here, offered to you for the low-low-low price of $8K... Aforementioned airheads are becoming scarce, price is going up-up-up so don't think for too long, chase squirrels around and then complain how nuther one got away from you... And no, the rear fender is not rusted - that's called patina which is priceless and can't be bought... :lol3

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"...Up for auction is this stunning custom 1984 BMW R80 Scrambler. It started life as an R80RT /7 full fairing touring bike that I acquired with 86000 miles on the odometer. This project was a labor of love the took a little over two years and lots of $ to complete. This bike turns heads and draws a crowd wherever it goes. The build was completed in the spring of 2017 and I have only put 600 miles on it since then. There's no way I could list everything that went into it, but here's some of the highlights:
    • Engine top-end rebuild
    • Transmission complete rebuild
    • Carbs completely rebuilt and synched
    • Forks rebuilt with progressive springs and powdercoated
    • New Ikon shocks rear
    • Rims - new bearings and powdercoated
    • SHINKO knobby tires
    • Full ceramic coating on exhaust pipes including "shorty" pipes
    • Acewell aftermarket speedometer
    • Renthal handle bars
    • Valve covers and starter cover powdercoated
    • High-end paint job on gas tank (spray-liner also)
    • Vonzetti custom seat and subframe
    • All fluids replaced, seals checked, valves checked/adjusted at 600 mile service on 5/7/20
    The engine and transmission work was done at a BMW dealership by the resident Airhead expert. He also did the wiring, forks and went through the brakes after reassembly to make sure everything was in spec. The bike runs and handles great and has a mean sound to it with those shorty pipes. The only issue I have with it is it's a bit finicky on the warm starts. It fires up perfect if it's cold and the choke is applied, but after that it can be hit or miss. It will start, just not as easily as I would like. If I were to keep it I might consider going to electronic ignition.
    If you've been looking at Airheads recently, you know how scarce and thus, expensive they are becoming. They are bulletproof and easy to work on so they are highly desirable for projects like this one. I would consider this a sound investment. The only reason I'm selling it is because I spend more time looking at it than riding it, and I could use the garage space for other projects. I also have some original parts and some aftermarket parts that I will offer to the buyer before I sell them separately.
    Shipping costs and arrangements are the sole responsibility of the winning bidder. I will meet with your chosen shipper to facilitate pick-up, but the rest is up to you. $500 deposit via Paypal is required within 48 hrs. Please do not bid if you do not plan to follow through. Sold as-is. NO warranty expressed or implied..."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-BMW-R-Series/293597313576?hash=item445bc37a28:g:uW4AAOSwtQxe0krR
    fjer, SmittyBlackstone and JagLite like this.
  18. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    No brown seat? No brown grips? No sideways license plate? No bikini-clad girl straddling it?

It's like this guy isn't even trying. One star. Would not recommend.
  19. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
  20. ZappBranigan

Oddometer:
    I don't care about the bike or the seller.

But I'd LOVE to meet the bank's loan officer who approved a $3500+ loan with a 44 year old bike as collateral. :D