Craigslists: "Dumbass of the week" Nominee

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by PBOB, May 22, 2013.

1. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The soviet cars have become a bit of a cult classic in the last 10 years. Almost none of them were sold in North america and the ones that were didn't often make it to the present due to being garbage. The lada is probably the most boring and normal one but there a small group of people that find cars like the trabant, moscovitch or whatever, interesting. Ain't going to find very many cars like that around.
    spokester and JagLite like this.
  2. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    For some reason they were sold in Canada with a least 3 dealership in BC back in the day .
  3. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Lots of Metal Mulisha stickers or it’s worthless. :D

I recall a dealership in Vancouver near Clark and Hastings. Went in once to look at a Niva that for a brief moment looked like a good idea.

Yeah, it had a tiny hint of Land Rover Defender, and yes, I thought it looked ok. There, I said it. :lol3
    JagLite, King of Beers and MVI like this.
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a few LADA’s, Samara versions, though knew a few Niva’s as well.

Great cars, but I also liked my 850 Fiats and alfasuds.
    spokester, JagLite and Bobmws like this.
  5. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    I had an 850 Fiat... :baldy
    Sadly, I traded a '65 Impala 409 toward it in the early 70's gas crisis...:( :nah
    spokester, Overdog, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, a guy wanted to trade me an Impala for my 850 in the early 80’s.
    Bobmws likes this.
  7. magnussonh

magnussonh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The good old Lada. You can still buy the Niva as new car. And the UAZ-452 van (not a Lada).
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 18.02.28.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 18.02.43.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 18.03.06.png
    AZbiker, spokester and JagLite like this.
  8. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    Ladas were Fiat 124s but without the cool Fiat engines. The Russkies made them heavier with thicker gauge steel and beefed up the suspensions to cope with their shitty roads. The traded the tooling for steel which is one of the reasons Fiats in the 1970s were such rust bombs. The 124 was also sold as the FSO and Polski-Fiat for a period.

And of course the Fiat 128 loaned much of it's structure and driveline to the Zastava Yugo 55. $3990 brand new here in the USA from the guy that brought you the Bricklin, Subaru 360s and the ridiculous rebadged Fiats of the 1980s sold as Pininfarina and Bertone.
  9. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly you had different models there, Lada built other cars.

I had a couple of these with these factory alloy wheels (5), 500kg payload, fold flat rear seats.

A drummer mate still uses one to drag his ‘kit’ around.

https://images.app.goo.gl/G2tFBj8DfiiCvf56A
  10. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    The Niva I can understand - that's the small, 4wd wagon, right? Looked vaguely like a Civic with a glandular problem?
    ShOqUePoT likes this.
  11. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    A co-worker in Sudbury had one. I didn’t think it was a bad little car.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. RustyStuff

Oddometer:
    I don't think any but the fiat sedan copies were sold in the US.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many markets are different, I had a 318i bmw (Australian delivery) with a timing belt engine and was called a liar by many Americans as they did not get that engine there, only a VANOS timing chain version. Having said that I bought a full set of struts and shocks out of the States for less than one aftermarket strut here, including shipping.

My Lada Samaras were solid and reliable, plastic interior trim was ordinary but serviceable.

:-)
    AZbiker and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  14. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trabants are going for top price if you can find one. Germany had a "cash for clunkers" program as well which claimed many of them. I too had a Fiat 850. In Puerto Rico of all places. It was my first car.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  15. RustyStuff

Oddometer:
    It seems like the biggest problem the commie cars had was terrible quality control in the years they were shipped to the US( mostly in the 80's i think) and they were designs based on tech from Pre WW2 in cases . The moscovitch was a chassis dating to the late 30's with multiple new bodies put on it periodically and new engines shoved in as tech slowly ground forward in the soviet union. The lada was practically a supercar compared to the other crap they pushed out.
    Had you brought in a fairly advanced cars like the Lada in the 1960's ( and had the cold war not been so warm at the time and public opinion been better), they might have been received more positively. But a car that was from the 60's being sold new in the 80's ( with terrible Qc and poor material quality ) isn't going to go over well.

I actually don't hate commie cars. I get why they were they way they were and I can respect that. But I don't want one. I barely would want do deal with a British car and at least they look great.
    Also a 50hp 4 cylinder in a car the size of the lada is kind of at it's limit in the US unless it lives in a city. I doubt speed limits in russia were 70mph for hundreds of miles at a time. Similar cars in the US would of had a I6 makeing around 100hp gross as the base engine, with the most commonly sold V8's being around 200hp gross. I've driven a late 60's american car with a 195hp ( gross) 283 v8. It was adequate but just nearly. The VW was probably the only car of it's time to get away with it and it helped they were super, super, cheap.
    AZbiker and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You lost me at ‘commie’ cars, bye.
  17. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    The US never got Ladas. Being heavily involved in Fiat 124s back in the 80s-90s I learned a lot about them. Some of the parts vendors were buying Lada parts to resell to us (like ball joints) and the quality was pretty terrible. They did sell Ladas in Canada for a few years. I don't think we got them in the US because of restrictions on Russian imports but likely it was wise they didn't try here.
    The Niva was the little SUV thing and didn't really share much with the Fiat based cars. Lada did make other models like the Samara but I never studied up on them as they weren't relevant to the Fiat world.

The Zastava Yugo 55 (Yugoslavia built, not Russia) we did get here in the late 1980s. The story of that car is interesting reading.
    [​IMG]
    The title is misleading and the book actually gives a pretty fair telling of the car, company and relationship with Malcolm Bricklin. The drivetrain was a direct copy of the Fiat 128. I supplied parts to a few Yugo owners at the ex-Fiat dealer I worked at. The quality of the parts Yugo used was poor, particularly clutches and gearbox components. We'd replace them with Fiat equivalents and the problems would not recur.
    One of our mechanics bought one and stuck a pair of twin sidedraft Webers on it. It would spin the tires in 3 of it's 4 gears.
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nearly bought a Niva new, and if they were making the efi ‘el toro’ version well...

The Samara was a later design, east west front drive, very articulate suspension!

Great for gathering firewood, and burning little fuel while exploring.
  19. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    There was a Lincoln/Mercury dealer (of all things) in Springfield, MA that started selling Yugo when they came here. I remember seeing them as 3 or 4 year leftovers for $1500 brand new, with zero warrantee.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's how Facebook translates "motorcycle" in Thai and Malay, so likely yes it is a computer generated translation.

Charles.
    CaseyJones and SmittyBlackstone like this.