1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash bar recommendations for current model tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by longslowdistance, Feb 15, 2018.

1. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All advice appreciated.
    Anyone have experience with the altrider crash bars?
  2. Striker100

Striker100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, the Altrider crash bars have really served me well. They offer great protection and have no doubt saved me some real cash with my various off road "mishaps".
    One of the things I've recently come to appreciate is that even though they've gotten a fair bit scratched up, they won't rust due to being made of stainless steel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  3. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Altrider crash bars on my 2013 800 XC, and they're doing their job very well. They've protected the bike through a couple naps and one offroad tumble. They also offer several places to rest your feet off the pegs for long slab rides.

A humorous aside: For a while, I was wondering why my bike smelled of a campfire every time I stopped. It was making me crazy, imagining a stick wedged in the header and ready to start a fire. Eventually, I found a couple dry leaves stuck behind the Altrider logo section of the bars. I pushed them out with a screwdriver, and all is well.
    ArielNut likes this.
  4. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what they cost new but I've had my Tiger down on the stock bars a few times and they seem to work fine.
    wilfred and sicario like this.
  5. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine slid a ways on pavement. I'm happy with the protection from my OEM bars.
  7. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock hand guards? Did the radiator fairings hit? The stock ones seem to leave that upper area exposed....
  8. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No hand guards. Bar end rashed. OEM panniers rashed, but retain integrity. Turn signal lense cracked. No damage to plastic or radiator.

I low sided and slid on pavement. There was no bouncing. it was quite smooth. The bike slid a lot farther than I did. Probably 20 to 30 yards.
    wilfred likes this.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the Altrider bars on my '14 Tiger when I hit a Kangaroo. The bars saved a lot of engine and plastics damage but ultimately the bike was an insurance write off anyway so the bars actually achieved no practical purpose.

This bike has highsided at 90kph (55mph) and I was able to ride it home but it was a total write off as the forks and rear sub frame were tweaked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimately IMO the Altrider bars are a complete waste of money.

Why? Because the rest of the Tiger primarily the rear sub frame is so weak that any even moderately serious incident will result in an insurance write off so all that paying 50% more for Altrider bars over Heed bars does is allow the insurance company to potentially recover more money from the wreck. It does not help the rider at all.
    I prefer the Altrider bars they are much more solid and well built than the Heeds but they so not provide any greater level of protection in a crash due to the bikes other failings and if all you want is to protect against minor damage when the bike has a sleep in the dirt or the local car park then the Heeds are perfectly adequate and save 50% (where I live) of the cost of the Altriders.
    wilfred likes this.
  10. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    My bike has been down on more than one occasion , though never at speed on the asphalt. I've a few abrupt moderate ejects off road however. My bars protected the front half of the bike , and I run luggage racks and soft bags on the second half , which I feel have protected me from damage to the subframe area (OK , rear frame , since it ain't removable to repair...) due to the fact that my bags slightly protrude past the passenger pegs to ultimately protect it in a fall. I agree , I've seen bikes that were write offs based on damage to there alone.
    wilfred likes this.
  11. Striker100

Striker100 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like I said my Altrider bars have served me well. I do agree that the stock engine protection bars are well made and seem to offer adequate protection for the lower half of the bike. In fact it pained me to take the stock bars off my brand new bike however they did not in my opinion offer any protection for the upper portion of the bike (i.e. plastic fairings, tank) my bars have protected my bike in off road situations where I washed the front wheel or in off camber situations where the top half of the bike did contact the ground when I went down. As far as on pavement at highway speeds....different story. I'm unaware of any crash bars that will mount up front but offer protection for the sub frame. I would offer (unfortunately froom experience) that going down at any speed over say 40MPH your bike should be the least of your concerns. If I was sticking to the road the stock bars would have been sufficient but for the occasional dirt nap minus the huge jagged pointy rocks the Altrider bars although expensive have done their job. On the sub frame note, boy I wish Triumph would have just made these passenger pegs bolt on/ removable...or the entire sub frame for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    iceburg7 likes this.
  12. semperriding

semperriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a 2006 955i Tiger. I read up on Heed crash bars. I purchased them and never looked back. They're are inexpensive any my other Tiger riding buddies are jealous. with crashbars 1.jpg
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing to keep in mind that almost nobody seems to think about.
    The plastic wings on the sides of the fuel tank were deliberately engineered by Triumph to be sacrificial and for them to absorb scratches and damage from relatively minor bike sleeping sessions. they actually are not very expensive to replace on the 11-14 model bikes.
    wilfred and Clem Fandango like this.
  14. NC1959

NC1959 The road goes on forever...............

Oddometer:
    Want to sell the stock ones ?
  15. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i have stock bars for sale in the flea market here.
  16. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    The Hepco & Becker bars are an option for covering the upper section of your bike. I've had two low speed falls on ice and they held up perfectly. I slid the bike over and picked it up, rotated the mirror and rode off, gingerly. If you fast forward to the first fall, 4:00, and then the second is right after that at 4:15 I think. This is just to show you the impact they received. Today, they have slight scratches on the left side where the impact was.
    iceburg7 likes this.
  17. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 8.59.07 AM.png
    I'm interested in seeing what the cost is of the upper tank crash bars that are in the photos on the Triumph website.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.00.22 AM.png
    The stock bars that I have do a great job of protecting the engine but not so good a job at protecting the tank shrouds. Mine are pretty scratched up.
    sicario likes this.
  18. Teutates74

Teutates74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Heed crash bars. I have not crashed since I've gotten them but they do cover a lot of the bike and seem solid enough.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. Bullet Burner

Bullet Burner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll put a second in for the Hepco Becker bars. I've had several off-road naps and one parking lot drop and they are holding up well.
  20. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just too bad they are no good for us tall guys.
    bigfoot2222 likes this.