1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash bar recommendations for current model tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by longslowdistance, Feb 15, 2018.

1. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed the factory uppers today. Took me about an hour...although I did skip the steps around loosening the swing arm and frame alignment bolts. I’m sure there’s a good reason but...

Overall I really like them. They use both upper engine mounting points whereas my Adv Spec ones didn’t. The factory bars have a few places that are meant to bend - hopefully taking damage instead of transmitting it to the frame. I took a few pics of the pieces to show that part of it.

The Adv spec bars are slightly larger and most likely stronger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flat, non-tubular parts look designed to bend
    [​IMG]

Same here
    [​IMG]

Vs stronger, beefier Adv Spec ones
    [​IMG]
    Banesangel and maxattack like this.
  2. CPORet

CPORet I Am Kirok!

Oddometer:
    Nov 2016 I had my Tiger 800 rear ended out from under me. Bike slid 260 feet on its right side, throwing off a shower of sparks. The right side Triumph OEM engine guard had about 1/2 ground off of it, but it did the job. Not one scratch on the engine. Of course, various bits and bobs of the rest of the bike didn't fare too well...

DSC_0992.JPG
    vinnyl26 likes this.
  3. GreatSteak

GreatSteak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed these from Outback Motortek.

Attached Files:

4. KLEW

KLEW 24 mph avg.

Oddometer:
    Now that you have the Outback Motortec bars installed what is your impression of them as far as fit, finish, and appearance.
  5. CDBiker220

CDBiker220 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you were talking to "GreatSteak" but I just installed the Outback Motortec bars as well so I thought I'd post by thoughts. I love them, they fit really well and went on relatively easily. They are definitely heavy duty and feel like a solid unit. I think they are the best compromise between having enough protection and looking gaudy of the bars available which is why I picked them. They look really good on the bike.

Attached Files:

Lushtrucker and KLEW like this.
  6. KLEW

KLEW 24 mph avg.

Oddometer:
    Thank you CD Biker for your information and good pictures.
    From the pictures I agree their size and protection vs appearance looks like a good fit for the Tiger.
  7. GreatSteak

GreatSteak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This pretty much sums it all up.

They are solid and much thicker than the stock bars. Left side was a tight fit and took sometime to install but it all went together.
  8. cristobal

cristobal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had vibration issues from their crash bars? I had SW Motech bars on my Tiger 1050, which the second owner said served their purpose well, but they did add a bit of vibration to the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. sicario

sicario Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Current models come with stock lower bars, Triumph sells upper fuel tank protection bars. I just put on a set.

Attached Files:

10. sicario

sicario Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. sicario

sicario Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Total PIA is right MAXATTACK. Wish I had seen your photos before doing the job. Did you notice the instructions have the left and right incorrectly identified. Still wondering why it's necessary to touch the swing arm and frame adjusters. It can just bolt on the front without all that trouble.

Attached Files:

12. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the new upper guard part number? My local dealer says they have a couple in stock. They also say not listed for 15-17 years but looks like they'll bolt up the same.
  13. Pnb7914

Pnb7914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A9780062Fuel Tank Protection Bars - Black

Bolted up to my 2015 800 xcx without issues, other than a little time and effort.
  14. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local Triumph dealer had an open house yesterday with 20% off accessories, so thought I'd check out fuel tank bars. They offered me $220/dealer installed. WTH, getting them installed Friday..

** Now installed **

Attached Files:

jpbadonk likes this.
  15. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put the Altriders on my 2018 800. Had some mounting issues, but they did ultimately get mounted. I passed on my experience to altrider. There were very attentivr, which I appreciate. Don’t know if I got a set that was warped during welding or if there are some real changes with the 2018 upgrade that altrider needs to work on.
    I like the bars now that they are installed. Haven’t dropped the bike yet so no report on functionality.
  16. mode12

mode12 frageelay Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure Spec bars hard at work. I’m thinking it was a kickstand operator error.

[​IMG]
    ZiaThunder likes this.
  17. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think these are the best. I’ll see how the factory uppers and lowers do...but I have a set of adv Spec sitting on standby.
  18. GRIGO

GRIGO n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    Outback motortec And I all ready tested it hahaha, I did slide at 40 km/h and only minor scratch to the bars, and the bike in perfect shape, I am very please with the finish and the level of protection, and installing it was quite easy.

Attached Files:

Banesangel likes this.
  19. 12sechatch

12sechatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear^

I'm actually going to pull the trigger on OM bars here soon. Previously on their site, they had to different versions listed: '11-14 and '15-'17. Now they only have one. I sent them a message earlier today to ask what changed, if anything, before I order.

My guess is they just test fit them on the older machine and they worked just fine, so they updated the site accordingly.
  20. CDBiker220

CDBiker220 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have their bars on my 2012 and there was only one version to buy when I got them this past winter. They fit fine, seam to follow the body lines well. Not sure what would of been different between the generations.