1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash bar recommendations for current model tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by longslowdistance, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 12sechatch

12sechatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Their response, just to close the loop:

"Thank you for your email. Indeed, previously we had two slightly different crash bars but we managed to create just one design to fit all years and models of Tiger 800. "
  2. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does SW Motech make crashbars for 2018 XTr's yet?
  3. Bear_wa

Bear_wa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Heed "bunker" set works great for my riding style. Standing up half the time and they offer great protection.
    Banesangel likes this.
  4. Cmillez

Cmillez n00b

Oddometer:
  5. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't have any issues. I had installed Adv Spec bars on my prior XRX and they didn't require any sort of frame alignment mess (nor do any other crash bars I'm aware of). And I didn't loosen the swing arm bolts per the instructions...just very carefully replaced the engine mount bolts.
  6. Cmillez

Cmillez n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've never seen this on other bikes either.
  7. CDN_Bacon

CDN_Bacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for something for my '18 xrT. Like the look of the stockers you have.... where did you get the hwy foot pegs bolted to the lower frame?
  8. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having a H-D, I had some highway peg mounts laying around. But smaller clamps are required and these .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Piec...d:g:yzcAAOSwW8RbGryE:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true .. work well. The claw pegs I made out of some BMX pedals and Kuryakyn male mounts. Any H-D male mount pegs will work. These are the black mounts I had (need the above smaller clamps) .. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-1-Engine-Guard-Bowleg-Footpeg-Mount-Clamps-For-Harley-Cruisers-Bobbers/331855157225?fits=Year:2001|Make:Harley-Davidson&epid=1169375819&hash=item4d441bd7e9:g:a~gAAOSwa6ZbyFM3:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
  9. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For any of you who have the outback motortek bars and their skid plate, do you find the skid plate protects/covers the oil filter at all? I can't tell from any pictures I've googled.
  10. DISCOxTIGER

DISCOxTIGER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also picked these up when my local was running a 20% off on accessories. I asked the parts guy if he knew why they said to loosen that. We walked through the instructions and he said he could think of two reasons. First, they're just a remnant from an older instruction set where you did actually need to do that. Or second, if somehow when you've loosened everything else the frame and engine have gotten out of alignment and you need some more play to hook things up properly. Which also didn't make any sense since the uppers aren't joined in any way. So we figured it was probably Option 1.

I installed them in about an hour, didn't loosen those bits, everything went fine.
    wilfred likes this.
  11. 12sechatch

12sechatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seeking opinions: I have a 2015 White Tiger 800 XRX, and am buying the Outback Motortek bars. I'm debating whether I should go black (subtly match the bike) or silver (stand out and compliment the bike).

I can't find any pictures of silver bars on a XRX, but like the idea of silver. Does anyone have any silver on white pictures?
    cristobal likes this.
  12. GreatSteak

GreatSteak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen lots of white ATs with silver bars and I think it looks nice.
  13. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first time the bars do their job of protecting the bike, they'll no longer be 100% black.
  14. 12sechatch

12sechatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. This is one of the main 'cons' going against the black ones.

On a different note: Altrider bars...I always thought they were quality (and they're stainless, so they dont rust if scraped), but some of the latest reviews state they have failing issues at the welds and/or bent/crushed tubing. Can anyone here speak to that?
  15. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    I have altider bars on my Tiger, and it has taken several naps, not gently. No weld problems detected.
  16. ArtGarfunkel

ArtGarfunkel MotoSouth

Oddometer:
    It seems that the Triumph tank bars don’t go forward enough to protect the fairings and turn signals. What do you all think? I would go with the Triumph ones because it’s a cheaper option, but I’m worried they won’t be as protective as the aftermarket ones in off-road conditions (lots of rocks around here). IMG_1096.jpg
  17. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    If the bars don't protect the signals, they're not what I want. The bike takes enough naps that I'd have blown a hundred bucks at least on replacing signals.
  18. ArtGarfunkel

ArtGarfunkel MotoSouth

Oddometer:
    I can relocate the turn signals, I just want the plastics to look pretty :)

IMG_0820.jpg
  19. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The crash bars which go arround the front below the beak (like for example the Heed crash bars) can break your front fender if you bottom out the front fork (at least on a 2018 XCA, an XRT with its 19 inch front wheel or olders models do maybe have some more space), because Triumph didn't leave more than a few milimeters of space between front fender and beak when fully compressed, and the "connecting bar" is just too low.
    ArtGarfunkel likes this.
  20. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I laid my tiger over in a blizzard at about 25 mph and the factory bars did exactly what they were meant to do. I di have a crack in the front turn signal tense and it cost me $6 to replace with a new one from Triumph. I like the lines of the factory bars the best and think they flow the best with the bike. Most american bike turn signals will stick past any bars due to DOT homologation on the placement of turn signals. On the bikes that are sold in the rest of the world, with LED signals that are much closer to the body work of the bike, I don't think this is an issue.
    ArtGarfunkel likes this.