1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Crash bar recommendations for current model tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by longslowdistance, Feb 15, 2018.

1. haf2ride

haf2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DACF0565-E779-4B00-B1C0-36F5F460DD90.jpeg
    I have the upper Triumph bars and the front end washed out during rainy conditions off road. The bar is bent in 1/4” and the turn signal broke the lower fairing. My personal opinion the mounting plates that bolt to the engine and the frame are very flimsy, I was concerned about their durability when I installed them. I can’t imagine What would happen to the bars and the bike at any kind of speed. I’m looking for a different option.
  2. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Hepco & Becker upper bars on my 2017 xcx. They tie together clutch and brake sides with a flat bar up behind the forks which spreads the load. You can see them in Part 2 of my mods videos at 8:55.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-2017-tiger-800xcx-mods-video.1379693/

I also relocated my turn signals up next to the windshield which is shown in part 1. There's an index for each mod in the thread.
  3. Mr.Rabbit

Mr.Rabbit I like big cats and I can not lie

Oddometer:
    do the oem upper bars prevent removing the side fairings? or is there enough room to still get them off without taking the bars off?
  4. buddyrm

buddyrm n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I also installed the upper and lower dresser bars on my 2018 XCA and XRT andskipped the step for loosening the swing arm and lower gear box mounting point. I have no clue what this was all for but if you follow their instructions then you will have an engine that is completely loose in the frame. :-( I would not recommend that. If you do one side and tighten both engine mounting points and then the other side and tighten the engine bolt mounts, you should be fine with no issues and the engine alignment will be as before. The engine will not move from it's orignal setting. Just do not loosen both side at the same time. Installed them on both an XCA and XRT and had zero fittment issues. Bike rode as before the installation.
    wilfred and MrMac like this.
  5. buddyrm

buddyrm n00b

Oddometer:
    You can still remove both side fairings without issues when the upper bars are installed. No issues.
  6. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the HEED bars to the test in Mexico (Aug 2017).

Overall the bars worked as advertised. Most of the damage to the bike came from contact with another MC that cut me off.
    The MC driver immediately took full responsibility, which was great.
    The Bike and I also slid about 10 meters after the initial impact.

The impact also bent a front rotor. Otherwise, the bike would have been rideable.
    The HEED bars were repaired to like new condition at a local bike shop (Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico). However, the t-bar, which sits under the beak and connects the top of the HEED bars to the steering head of the frame was bent in the impact. When we corrected this bend, I and assuming the HEED t-bar is now weaker.

Rick

BTW I picked up the HEED bars before Outback Motortek had their bars ready for sale.
    I would also give those a serious look if I were buying new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Repaired 7 days later, with new Galfer Wave front Rotors.

[​IMG]
  7. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick

I live in Victoria too and have been looking at the Heed and OM bars. I mostly just want them for mounting some forward pegs, though a little protection would be appreciated as well. After checking prices with shipping and availability it seems they will work out to about the same amount. OM’s would come from Ontario though so no duty etc, so I’m kind of leaning towards that.
    Do you have any thoughts on one vs the other? From the pics I’ve seen it looks like the OM’s tuck in close to the engine and might not be far enough out to mount some pegs.
  8. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    In 2014 I spend a weekend in Ontario driving a support truck for my Son and his ADV Team, which included Lorry Coobs.
    I never met Lorry before that weekend, however, I left very impressed with Lorry and his products (BMW and KLR).

I would have picked up his Tiger guards had they been available at the time.
    I would suggest you can buy with confidince any of Lorry's products.

My son's bike, sans his clutch on the trailer, Lorry's bike on the far right.

[​IMG]

This is my son and I, August 2017 in Copper Canyon Mexico. Chris's KLR at OM crash bars and Skid Plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. FrankLoL

FrankLoL Always ready for the next adventure

Oddometer:
    I just went through a crap experience buying crash bars from an outfit called T-Rex Racing and now looking again. What I really want aren't being shipped to the US so I'm looking at Hepco Becker bars. I searched the forums but could not find enough information so thought I'd jump into this thread if no one minds.

Wondering what you think of the lower bars.

These are the upper bars I'm thinking of getting mainly because they line up nicely with the tank.
    https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-tank-guard-triumph-tiger-800-xr-xrx-xrt-xc-xcx-xca-2018

These are the bars I'm not too sure about.
    https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-engine-guard-triumph-tiger-800-all-model-years

What I'm not sure about is they look all tucked in there, they don't seem to jut out much and they don't show any end to end views to see how far out they go. Does anyone have these? Have they been put to the test by anyone here? Did they protect things as they should?
    disco fred likes this.
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Piss poor marketing when they ONLY show the right side...
    FrankLoL likes this.
  11. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the hepco and Becker uppers with stock lowers. My setup is here (see part #2, about 8:50 in).

https://advrider.com/f/threads/my-2017-tiger-800xcx-mods-video.1379693/

They're good quality and well thought out, they do partially block the turn signals, but I relocated mine anyway. The stock lowers are a bit wide, but that allows them to roll the weight of the bike a bit as it lands. Moto Machines is good, if you have questions or concerns they probably can give details if no one here is running them.
  12. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
  13. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
    Hey, weirdly enough, I noticed the end to end image here. I assume it's the same lower bars.

https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-tank-guard-triumph-tiger-800-xr-xrx-xrt-xc-xcx-xca-2018

This is the tank bars page but if you go through the images, one of the images shows the bike from the front which gives some idea of how far those bars are from the motor, assuming they are the same bars.

UPDATE: Comparing the two pages, those lower bars look different.
    UPDATE2: Ah hell, I don't know really. Maybe someone else does.
    UPDATE3: Ok, they do look the same now. In the tank images, it looks like the bike is on a slightly different angle but the shape compares to the images for the lower bars.

I'm going to order those. They look like they are past the motor so would protect things after all.
  14. agreenmartian

agreenmartian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Hepco and Becker tank bars too. "Wiggle until they look good" is exactly what I did during installation. I've been down a few times at low speed and they've held up well with just a few scratches.
    FrankLoL likes this.
  15. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Outback Motortek bars on my 2012 Roadie. Went with those since they seemed like the most robust bars I could find in the US at the time. Bike has taken a few spills on the dirt without any issues. The combination of the bars and Barkbusters protect the front turn signals.

Now, fitment and customer relations is pretty poor with Outback Motortek. The bolt holes hardly lined up during installation, had to drill-out a few of them and the rest were virtually forced together to line-up. I left a "meh" review on their Facebook page so other folks knew about the possibility of a frustrating install. Given all their marketing language about laser-cut this and precision fabricated-that I thought they needed to hear that all was not well in the manufacturing shop. Also sent the company some feedback via email regarding the apparent poor quality control just so they knew (wasn't trying to get anything out of them, just figured they need to know when something isn't being fabricated well. Can't get better if you don't know you need to). They replied asking me to remove my review in exchange for replacement bars. I told them no, customers need to see the truth and they can't just buy-off bad reviews. That gave me a sour feeling about them, reminds me of crappy Amazon sellers that pay for good reviews. IMG_0126.jpg IMG_0132.jpg
    FrankLoL likes this.
  16. FrankLoL

Oddometer:
    Good for you for not being bought out for your review. It's how we help each other on the Internet. Companies that try to bury bad reviews are the ones we should expose as much as possible until they change their practice and make better products.
  17. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    And to add insult to injury, Outback Motortek wanted me to return the bars I had on my bike and pay to ship them! I was like oh hell no, these were a b!tch to put on, they'll probably be a b!tch to take off and now you want me to box them back up all nice and neat and pay for the shipping too? What, just so I can get another set that probably won't match up that well again. I was emailing with the owner himself and he couldn't have been more petty. I've been much more impressed with Altrider's equipment and customer service/relations, so I'll be going to them for any future needs.
  18. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    Before I bought my XR in April 2019 i was researching which crash bars to get.
    I finally shortlisted Heed and Outback Motortek based on recommendations and also price.

I actually liked the Outback Motortek due to the youtube videos showing the owner of Outback dumping his bike and with no damage to the bike (can't remember which bike).
    However when i emailed the owner he wasn't responsive at all. I sent reminders and he never replied.

So I took my business to Heed and they were responsive and even cheaper than Outback Motortek.
    I even ordered the Heed skid plate at the same time.
  19. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW I emailed HEED last week and still no expectation of when they will resume shipping to the US.
  20. Captain_nd_coke

Captain_nd_coke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep same with me, asked them to let me know when they resume but I doubt they would do that given how busy they will be