Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. coolrunnings

coolrunnings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Very easy to install. Both lower and upper. I have tipped over on its left side offroad with no damage to anything.
  2. oilrecycler

oilrecycler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There seem to be a couple near new take offs for a reasonable deal. I may not be easy but I am cheap.:D
  3. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice
  4. bgblktruck

bgblktruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you still like your Puig crashbars? I'm looking into getting these as well. Would you be able to post a pic showing a full side view? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    F700 SW-Motech

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. bgblktruck

bgblktruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed a set of Puig crash bars. They seem like they'll do a great job protecting the bike!

[​IMG]
  7. aHiD

aHiD n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry bgblktruck. Have been too busy to post ur request for a side view of the bike. See that u got one for urself. Looks awesome doesnt it? :D
  8. bgblktruck

bgblktruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem at all. The pictures you did post are what pushed me over the edge, so thanks! :) And yes, I think they look great! Excellent value for the price!
  9. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed my Puig crash bars. Inexpensive, good fit, decent looks, pretty easy install. The fly swatter is for fishing washers and other assorted bits out of the skid plate :rofl

[​IMG]
  10. Jasonpaulbauer

Jasonpaulbauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm digging through this thread trying to determine if there are any rear crash bars that work with the stock vario cases/case mounts.

We just picked up a 2010 F650GS that has the vario cases and kind of want some rear side protection for when the cases are not on the bike. Most of the aftermarket rear racks would protect the sides when the panniers are not mounted, but the oem vario brackets are minimal and I'm not sure that they would provide a similar level of protection.

Is there anything that would do this or is it completely unnecessary?
  11. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to scorn those with Touratech crash bars for their GSAs. I just ordered some, but they're backordered thanks to you. :wink:
  12. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome! I got the first set in and then got the first bags for them as well. I had been pounding on TT's doors constantly, ended up going to Alaska without them.

Boy, adding those bags makes the gas mileage go way down! Especially if you put something in them. I added some roundels to mine, they look sharp(er). :)
  13. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're a lucky man... I'll just have to be extra careful until they show up at my door.
  14. shelion

shelion Goddess of Fire

Oddometer:
    Probably not necessary. I have a 2010 650 and while riding one day it decided to have a nap in the middle of a turn on pavement. Rashed up my handguard, engine guard, and the bottom of the mounting nub on the passenger peg. No damage to the rear despite having no luggage racks or anything that might provide protection mounted. So as long as you keep the passenger pegs, you'll probably be good.

I would definitely do an engine guard, if you haven't already planned on it. That will protect the pricy front plastics. I have the Alt Rider bar and can attest that it does protect the front plastics when the bike falls over.

Edited to add: I dropped mine on the right side. If it falls to the left, there's more of a possibility that the exhaust will be damaged. That being said, I don't know of anyone making a guard for the rear. Might have to swap cases to a brand that has more prominent racks. Or just keep the bags on and they can be the sacrificial parts.
  15. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check Wunderlich. They make rear protection for touring bikes, but I don't know about adventure bikes.
  16. Jasonpaulbauer

Jasonpaulbauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. It does have SW motech engine guards already.
  17. klimtachakka

klimtachakka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SW motech

[​IMG]
  18. MotoMachines

MotoMachines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you had any basic engine guard protection, they are generally shaped/angled in such a way that regardless of how you lay the bike down, the sides will be protected.

Example:
    [​IMG]

Though this one has both the upper and lower attached, and it may be a little difficult to see the angling from the sides, the engineers of any brand would make sure to test the protection from multiple angles- you do not need any specific or custom made bars for good protection.
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have soft throw over luggage. What are the bars on the rear/ below the fuel tanks? shown in the first picture?
  20. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean the Vario luggage mounting bars?