Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant this one. Is that all there is to them?
  2. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nicely done , look familiar . I must have seem it near my estate.
  3. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the Hepco & Becker engine guard n upper tank guard combination. The SW Motech Hawk light fit in just nice .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the vario mount - I had thought it could be a good rear crash bar, but apparently it doesn't extend past the fuel tank.

[​IMG]
  5. Kevinsterner

Kevinsterner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just mounted SW Mototech crash bars on my 2015 F 800. They fit nice but I have a couple of spacers and bolts left over. I am assuming these are for other models but not sure. They look like the are on correctly and they fit nice and close to the body work. are extra parts normal?
  6. darkduke98601

darkduke98601 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys! I'm Daniele from italy, this is my first message in this amazing forum! I got a bmw f800 Gs and I'd like to mount a crashbars for some enduro ride! Is there someone tall like me (1.85 mt) that can tell me if puig's crashbars hurts legs?I've read some bad comments in some post... Thanks! Ps sorry for my "everything but not perfect english"!
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    The instructions that came with mine clearly indicate one set of spacers is for pre 2013 models and the other for 2013+ models, so you should have the pre 2013 left over. From memory there is just a couple different length spacers that are different.

8. King Tootin

King Tootin Scootin n Tootin

Oddometer:
    Wild@Heart Crashbars Beware! Engine Casting Damage can Result! Recommend purchasing longer bolts!

Don't get me wrong I really like these crash bars and think they are very well designed. Wild@Heart provides all the hardware for install with the exception of two large Torx 50 bolts that pass thru the bars then thru the bike frame and screw into the upper engine mount casting. Instructions tell you to re-use these bolts and they provide a torque spec. In anycase the left side bolt torqued to spec without issue but the right side bolt pulled the thread material right out of the casting with a loud PING:yikes

Measuring things I have found that adding the bars adds another 10-15mm, so not enough thread engagement occurs when approaching torque value. My OEM bolt is 65 mm so I bought an 80 mm long bolt, got lucky and had enough threads left to engage that. Whew!:-)

In anycase I will write LM Cycle whom I bought the bars thru to let them know about this potential issue.
  9. PurpleTiger

PurpleTiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpg
    TT
  10. prudolf

prudolf Motorcycle Insight - USA Importer for Grip Puppy

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, this is regarding our 2008-2012 crashbars which we have not had any previous issues with in the past. We have forwarded this onto W@H and will update you with any details regarding this. Fortunately we have talked with King Tootin and everything is well with his bike and is still happy with his purchase!
  11. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    Just installed these on my bike, nothing special but then I don't plan on doing any hardcore off-roading.

[​IMG]

Fit could be better - right side only, left went on just fine.
    [​IMG]

All done, pretty good coverage.
    [​IMG]

Radiator base is covered.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearance seems OK.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Again nothing special, but for what they cost I figured I'd give them a try. I'll post a follow-up if (when) I go down ;-).
  12. Higherhawk

Higherhawk Still a n00b

Oddometer:
    Would you mind saying what type of skid plate do you have on your bike, sir? Thanks.
    Everyone's bikes look great, thanks all for the info and motivation.
  13. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    My AdventureSpec bars yet again have saved me from major damage on my F650GS (Twin). Dropped it 3x's recently on woods rides and sustained zero damage to the bike (and just some scuffs on the bars). Cannot say enough good things about these crash bars!:clap
  14. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My adventurespec crashbars survived an impact with a car making a left turn in front of me that took out his turn signal and dented his quarter panel. No damage to the bike whatsoever.
  15. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My skid plate is also TT.
  16. Dentman333

Dentman333 n00b

Oddometer:
    After wrestling with a set of Givi TN5103 crash bars for 3 hours it appears the Givi laser cutter needs an adjustment. One engine. connector is off at least 5mm and the bolt that is welded to the cross brace is so far off I can't thread it. Hope. Revzilla steps up so far they have been great.
  17. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    I can't decide between the Givi TN690 bars and the hepco & becker for a 650gs twin. The hepco & becker look bigger but they cost almost twice than the givis. The givis look more discreet but I am afraid they won't offer the same protection. not planning to do any hardcore offroad riding.
    also I am between going for the scheffelmeier bashplate or the plane touratech oil filter cover without any aftermarket bashplate
  18. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    lets start simple, where do you live? US, EU or something else? depending on where prices aren't the same and not as interesting to get Scheffelmeier in the US or Altrider in europe. What I mean is fill out your profile, that will help for future referencing.

Those Givi bars generally self sacrifice in crashes, slides etc. they bend in. They are cheap for a reason. But they'll protect your bike that one time, maybe twice but they aren't meant to withstand several crashes on lets say a journey. So no need to do any hardcore offroading to find a use for crashbars, a slide quickly happens. What is your crashbar budget? sure we can find some stuff for you.

Anyway for the bashplate I'd go with scheffelmeier. they make good stuff and for that price it isn't even that expensive (120€)
  19. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick response. I live in in EU. H&B cost around 200Euros and the givis around 100...I can afford both...but if I get the givis I can add a few more accessories worth of 100euros...
  20. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    Givis are available but for the H&B I will have to wait about a month to get them due to the importer policy. Tomorrow I am getting the bike...