Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It's like insurance, do you need to be fully covered or just partly? Pick your own poison and deal with the results. Alot of happy riders ride with the givi bars around no problem. I know why I didn't v'buy them back in the day because of their design and didn't want to buy crash bars twice. Sw motech bars are 170, like holan bars. Less than hepco becker and will survive alot of crashes and accidents and at least they protect the fairings as well. The givi's won't protect it as much and if you have to buy used side panels it's mire expensive that yoyr initial crash bar investment. That are my 2cts, but adding crashbars is a good way to go anyway :)
  2. r1d3rg652gs

r1d3rg652gs Tenere700

Oddometer:
    I am between the givis and h&b because they are the most "discreet" ones. I had wunderlich bars on my G650GS -manufactured by h&b I think- and they served me very well.
    That's why I was thinking of getting the h&b again.
    Thanks again.
  3. jmarchitect

jmarchitect Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    Bike looks great, mine is a 2009 in the darker blue and I am looking t install these same upper bars. Did you have any clearance issues with the bars' connecting flanges under the beak? The TT guy I spoke with said he didn't thin they would fit, but I didn't feel confident that he really knew. Any chance you could send a pic of the area under the beak where the bar sections meet? If too PIA, ne worries, just trying to find something that will fit with my existing OEM engine guards. Thanks!
  4. Pilotboz

Pilotboz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are custom built by a fabricator (husband of sales girl) in Thailand, he made the centerstand too.... And yes that is the "Bridge on the River Kwai".... IMG_0208.JPG IMG_0218.JPG 3BFB4A9A-E5E0-40AF-84EE-35F1F7AE3AA6.JPG
  5. RForestR

RForestR In the Woods

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same thing. Also, on some of the pics I see it looks as though the bars sit in front of the turn signals. Just the angle of the photos maybe?
    Thanks
  6. jmarchitect

jmarchitect Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    Just to confirm, I have now received and installed the non-adventure "2013-on" f800/f700gs Touratech upper crash bars on my 2009 f650gs twin with no problems whatsoever. They bolt directy to the OEM lower engine guard, and actually seem to fit better than on the pre-2013 f800gs pictured in this post because the turn signals on my bike are mounted higher. Kimmo at Touratech USA was really helpful in figuring out whether it was worth a try, and although the bars are not completely symmetrical in manufacture, they went together as expected and I'm really pleased.

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    fill out that profile noob
  8. jmarchitect

jmarchitect Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    Done.
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
  10. bgblktruck

bgblktruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    The link does not work for me. I'm interested in the crash bar set. It's for a 2010 f650gs. Would that work?

Zee
    2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
  12. bgblktruck

bgblktruck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they would fit a 2010 f650gs. I'll PM the details from my other post so you can see all the info.

Thank you!
  13. Alpenjager

Alpenjager ADV Rider Poser

Oddometer:
    TT Upper and Lower on my 2015 F700..

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Johnny D

Johnny D Johnny D

Oddometer:
    As an alternative, I fitted a set of 'Oggy Knobs' to my F700GS.

This is used only as a road bike and I wanted mainly to protect the radiator if the bike was dropped, without adding heavy & expensive crash bars.

Oggy Knob kits are available from: http://www.kenma.com.au/oggy_knobs.html#

No specific F700GS kit is available, so bought a F800R/S kit OK 325 and modified it as follows:
    - replaced socket head cap screw M10x1.5P x 120 mm long with M12x1.75P x 120 mm long + flat washer to suit
    - replaced socket head cap screw M10x1.5P x 150 mm long with M12x1.75P x 150 mm long + flat washer to suit
    - drilled both spacers dia 10 mm holes to dia 12 mm
    - added 2 x spacers 25 OD x 20 ID x 38 mm long (I had some spare aluminium tube this size, 25 OD x 12 ID x 30 mm long would also work)
    - trimmed fairing to suit (the most stressful part!).

1.JPG 2.JPG
  15. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with SW Motech on my F658, bars installed without any issues but has anyone noticed uneven spacing from side to side on these? Mine seem to hug the body a little more on the left side, I loosened everything up but still wasn't able to get them centered. Not a big deal or anything, more curious if I am doing something wrong.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you got the right spacers for the right model installed in the right places,
    Mine cane with 2 sets of spacers and clear instructions on which ones went with which pre and post 2013 bikes. From memory the internal frame spacer was pretty long on the left side

AustinXL likes this.
  17. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Yeah I spent a lot of time measuring each spacer to make sure I Used the right ones.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  18. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo to show the (minimal) difference between sides, maybe 1/2" or so. I bet if I take them completely loose again and slowly work them I can get them 100%, might have to pull one side against the crossbar as I tighten it, will play with it tonight.

[​IMG]
  19. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I know you said you carefully checked the spacers, but you may have the wrong left hand main frame spacer length, I am sure my spacer is longer than that but mine was a 2015, you can see another 5mm or so of spacer sticking out of the frame on mine. If you have a spacer left over of the length specified for a 13+ model you may have the wrong one in. Even the bottom spacers being too long would push the top in a touch

see my main frame left spacer compared to yours, mine was on an F700 so slightly diff shaped plastic but all else is the same as far as frame and engine mounting. My pic is slightly offset which is why left side looks closer than right.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. AustinXL

Oddometer:
    Can't see a pic. I should have all the 2013+ spacers still, my bike is a 2009. Both sides are showing an even amount of spacer, not that its necessarily designed that way. I'll measure what I had left over again just to be safe before I start pulling it apart, they could totally avoid a lot of confusion with these if they just bagged the 2008-2012 spacers and bolts in one bag and the rest in another and labelled them, but what do I know?