Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you drop the bike on the right side and things will even right out PDQ! I know it worked for me.
    AustinXL and BygDaddee like this.
  2. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! I already had that idea. Little things out of sync always bug me way more than they should, I already thought about laying the bike down on the side to even it out.

We'll see once I get home if I mucked up the spacers or what.
  3. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    OCD

Obsessive Crashbar Disorder :D

If all fails, loosen the cross bar bolts and pull it out, there is slop in holes and after a fall off the stand mine moved in a bit and loosening these bolts and pulling it out fixed it.

4. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much what I did. Pulled it apart, checked all spacers were correct, tightened up all the crash bar mounting points with the crossbar bolted together but loose, then once everything else was tight forced the one side against the crossbar and tightened her down.

It's close enough for me at this point, I'm leaving it as is.
  5. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seeing as this is the main Crash Bar Thread, just wanted to point a potential concern with the GIVIs, if you let it get bent bad enough to eventually break.

Disclaimer: I have wrecked the crap out of the left side crash bar, easily 15-20 drops and 3 or 4 of those were at speed. The original owner had also ground a fair amount of the on a high speed low side on his first F800GS. So don't think this happened after one drop.

I don't have a pic of how it looked on the bike, but if you let the left side break like so...

[​IMG]

Then the end of the bar can get pushed into the oil cooler coolant line. Fortunately in this case the coolant line stopped it from making it to the Oil Cooler itself! LOL. Fortunately its just a dent and I'm going to leave it for now.

[​IMG]

If you notice the painted steel backing bar on the bottom right goes behind the crash bar and is supposed to provide more support. I believe that I forgot to straighten this the last time i straightened my bars. It therefore was already bent out of the way and didn't help out at all. So all the repeated bending finally failed the bar. I say all this as just a precaution. I think any steel crash bar could eventually fail in this way, but I did not notice it until after I had taken the bars off the hit to the coolant line. That line is $100 US online and the oil cooler is $180 btw. Not to mention the risk to the engine if they did fail.

So if you bend your left side Givi bars. Make sure to inspect the mounting tab really well for signs of cracking, and definitely straighten back out the back up bracket behind. I'll post some more pics once I get the bars all welded back up and back on. Another knee jerk reaction would be to try to beef these areas up, but thats just going to transmit more forces to the bike, which I'm not interested in doing.

I love my Givi bars and will continue to recommend them to anyone. They're light, sit low on the bike, look good and I've never had any plastics touch down during my many getoffs. I also think they match the bike very well.
  6. 20Fingers

20Fingers GS Giant Alumni

Oddometer:
    Amherst area Va, have land for guest camping!
    Outback Motortech bars, bash plate and luggage rack.

Attached Files:

athomasvt likes this.
  7. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I feel like you could have used your side panel space for some more stickers :lol3:beer
  8. NoVa Road Warrior

NoVa Road Warrior Off Road Hooligan

Oddometer:
    IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0302.JPG IMG_0168.JPG Notes from an Off Road Rider:

I have not seen much discussion about Wild@Heart crashbars, made from a company based in South Africa.

I have these installed on my F800. They are some of the highest crashbars on the market and fully cover the main Faring. I ride off road a lot and have spills frequently. I have used every inch of crash bar. I would be concerned with anything else that is smaller.

In addition to functionality, they have a hardcore off road look to them.

Also, that is Alt Rider Skid plate covered in red clay doing its job in lower protection.

IMG_0302.JPG
    prudolf likes this.
  9. prudolf

prudolf Motorcycle Insight - USA Importer for Grip Puppy

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the great feedback and plug, Road Warrior. FYI, for anyone who's interested in crashbars for their 2013+ F800GS, we have a shipment that has just arrived and we'll be ready to start shipping orders in approximately 1 week.

Thanks,
    -Paul
  10. Siricco

Siricco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1934.JPG

Another crash bar option, from www.staubwolke.com. Works for 2013 and newer F700/800 GS without modifications, and on all other versions (2008 and up, including F650/700/800 GS/A) with some modifications to the side covers.

No upper crash bar extensions needed on this design. It will protect the complete side of the bike and the handlebar/mirrors/levers as the fall is stopped before anything gets to it (ask 1200 boxer owners, same concept). That also means the bike never lays flat on its side, making it easier to upright again. And, as there is nothing blocking the side covers, one can easily get to the battery, air filter, valve assy and top engine in the field. No need to take off any crash bar parts.

This crash bar is also prepared to carry additional, heavy loads (water, fuel). AND, best of all, doubles as a place to relax your legs during long rides ;).

IMG_1841.jpg IMG_1486.JPG 3.jpg
    Jet flyer and bgblktruck like this.
  11. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    So I destroyed half of my AltRider crash bars on the first test, albeit down a washed out hill. I was going to order a new set and keep the other half as spare.. but I originally paid under $300 for the Altrider crash bars and now they cost over $500! :hmmmmm

I remembered seeing a different brand that looked interesting on Kinga's F800GS, so I looked them up and they were half the price and there is a distributor in Canada (DualSportPlus) They even threw n a free neck warmer for Canada Day :ricky

I've now owned SW Motech, AltRider and Outback Motortek crash bars and I'm quite impressed with the functional and aesthetics, fit/finish and especially the value of the Outback Motortek. They also look to have a perfect place to mount aux lights :nod

I also got the upper bars but have yet to install them. The lowers were about $250 and the uppers were about another $250 and I'm not sure they're really necessary, but I like the idea that they would provide additional cross support in any crash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Speedy McJesus

Speedy McJesus Poor decision making followed by poor execution.

Oddometer:
    I have a set of advspec crash bars out of the UK and they have paid for themselves time and again. most recently I lost my front tire after picking up a nail on the tarmac and slid 80 feet......bike was undamaged crashbar was well ground down.
  13. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a picture of Advspec bars on a late model F700?
  14. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    20180812_195921.jpg 20180812_200124.jpg I just put the Wunderlich Adventure bars on my wife's F700GS with factory low suspension. These have somewhat recently been renamed by Wunderlich as "Krauser" bars - appears to be company that makes them. FWIW. I have a question I hope one or more of you can help me with, and a story about the install on the factory low suspension (short of it: they fit just fine) that has a conclusion that may be useful to others. I get to say "I told you so" to Wunderlich :-) That's always nice.

1. Question: Now I need to put a skid plate on the bike, and my question is: Has anyone had any experience with the Touratech skid plate and the Wunderlich Adventure (Krauser) bars? I know some skid plates do not work (e.g, Blackdog) with the Wunderlich bars, because (I believe) of the unique bar extension with these, along the bottom of the engine back to the center-stand mount. The BMW and Wunderlich (of course) skid plates seem to work, but I would like to know if the Touratech (in particular) or others are viable or not. So any experience there is greatly appreciated.

2. Story: These bars do work just fine with the factory low suspension, despite what Wunderlich state on their web site (read at bottom of page)!

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/26540002-004.html

I did a lot of research looking at how these fit to the bike, and researched the parts differences between standard and low configuration. I came to the conclusion that there was almost no way they should NOT work. The kickstand is the only thing different (slightly shorter w/ low susp.) anywhere close to the bars, and I couldn't see that mattering. (As far as I can tell, the only three parts differences with low suspension are the fork damper tube, rear shock and kickstand. And no center stand option - but thank you SW Motech for solving that problem). So I emailed Wunderlich America and expressed my opinion based on my research, and the guy that responded said "They don't fit, can't remember why, but they don't" I live fairly close (hour away) from the Wunderlich America distribution center in Watsonville CA, so I emailed back with "What if I ride the bike out to you and we do a fit check, and if I'm wrong I'll buy you lunch!" Reply was "Sure, come on down, but they don't fit!" I called the day I was going to go and he said "You can come down, but I'm telling you you are wasting your time - I've been doing this for years, they don't fit" and yada yada yada. I said no problem - was a nice day for a ride. When I got there and we did a fit check, and they OBVIOUSLY were going to fit - he still said "There is something that won't work - you scratch them up trying to install I can't take them back, but if they do fit, take some good pictures to document it and I'll give you 10% off." Well, they fit with no issues, as I expected. I did find some mistakes in the Wunderlich instructions (wrong material call-out and a major parts removal sequence gaffe; you have to remove center-stand bolt at the beginning of install, not at the end! Had to completely remove and reassemble due to that one). I didn't like the nut, bolt and bushing they supplied for the center-stand, so I re-engineered that to use the original (SW Motech in my case, but BMW is similar) threaded bushing for the center-stand. But even with original hardware, everything fit just fine. I am sending him my pictures today to get my 10%, along with "I told you so" :-)
    bmwroadsterca likes this.
  15. F650gsafromMorocco

F650gsafromMorocco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!
    I have fitted the Crosspro skid plate with these Krauser bars, they don't leave any space between the tubes and the skid plate!