Crash bars

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rustytrigger, May 8, 2011.

1. Rustytrigger

Rustytrigger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, looking to get a set of new crash bars for my 2010 adventure. I notice on the SW-Motech site, they discuss, spacing issues with the petcocks. Are the KTM version a cleaner install? Anyone ran into problems with the Sw-Motechs?
  2. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer:
    Funny I just installed the SW Motechs today to replace the KTM ones that came with my bike. The SWM was a less difficult install (easy doesn't apply to anything involving the tanks on this thing), there is a bit more space between them and the bike, there is a cross member between them so that they hopefully don't bend as easily, and they feel sturdier all around.

I'm not sure what the issues are on a 990, as I have a 950. There was a different spacer for the 990 vs the 950. Sorry - can't help there.
  3. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I HAVE THE SWM ON MY 2010 990 & THE INSTALL WAS SMOOTH ONLY THING I DID DIFFERENT WAS THE INMATES QWIK & GEEK STUD CHANGE OUT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERANCE WHEN YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE BARS .:clap
  4. ten_fiver

ten_fiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    SW bars here as well. '08 990. No problems at all. Easy (enough) install, and sturdy. I didn't notice any problems with the petcocks. Do the crashbar studs though, its worth it.
  5. Oli990

Oli990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to remove this cross member when riding off road because the tire (Pirelli mt21) will hit it even before the suspension is bottoming out.
    Besides that I really like these crash bars. With the original scorpion tires I never had this problem.
  6. Rustytrigger

Rustytrigger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  7. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I have a mt21 front and it doesn't touch it even under full compression. :huh
  8. AdvenchaB4Demencha

AdvenchaB4Demencha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I've got this set for sale that I removed from my 2013 GSA. scratch on one bar, the rest are in good shape (not perfect - they did come off a GSA after all). $125 & they're yours.

Attached Files:

9. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quoting a 9 years old post to offer a BMW part to a KTM owner? :D
  10. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The SWM bars (not the very early ones) crash better than the others. I've fixed my KTM/Tourtech bars way too many times from light drops.
    The SWM work fine with all the low fender and tires. BUT, do not run a fender extender and these bars. It can hang up on the cross bar brace.
  11. Unruled

Unruled 950S

Oddometer:
    I have these:

[​IMG]

And they are simply indestructible. I didn't expect that because they look fairly feeble, but they proved themselves when I was trying to cross a fallen over tree. It lay a bit diagonally across the track, and my inexperience at the time meant I didn't really accomodate for that. So when I tried to cross it with too much speed the front wheel launched sideways, basically having the bike do a slam-dunk onto the right crashbar. I flew over it alltogether and had no injuries but I was seriously concerned about the bike, fuel was leaking out.

Turned out that fuel was just the overflow (extra tank doesn't have a one-way valve, and the original caps were modified to prevent vacuum issues), apart from a few scratches on the bars literally nothing was damaged, bent or otherwise messed up. After that I'm really not concerned whenever it falls over. The event is on video somewhere but I'd have to look it up.