Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. mikemaycga

mikemaycga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred, thanks for posting. The information is most valuable. I just finished a 17,000 mile trip from Toronto to Inuvik, a bit of Alaska, California, Smokies and back home. Saw lots of deer and bears and had several close calls, enough that I consider myself fortunate to not have had a collision. I was wearing my Motoport Mesh jacket and when temperatures/weather allowed, my Motoport gloves. You have given me confidence that Motoport gear with quad armour and gloves will protect my skin in a "good" get off. I will be getting an airbag after reading this. One member of our group wears a neck brace, but I think that air vest eliminates the need in a better form factor plus providing chest and back protection.

My pants are Klim Badlands, Generation 1. They are excellent rain gear and probably very good abrasion protection, but the armour does not provide anywhere near the protection as Motoport, so a pair of those will likely find their way into personal inventory.

Thanks again for the detailed analysis of the gear, the video and healing process. It's rare to get that kind of quality information.
    zoomcarve likes this.
  2. mebgardner

mebgardner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it. The carrier of the rated armor, matters. Yup, good.

Thanks!
  3. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the leg up with the EN findings. Good...
  4. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to decide what to do about the air flow thing. The vest style is an obvious choice.

I keep coming back to a couple points that stump me.

The OP posted up, a few pages back, his protection system during this ride. Three layers for the upper body, all apparently able by themselves, to flow air. Stacked in the manner he uses (mesh armor, then mesh jacket, then air bag vest) probably results in not much air flow when all in. So, there's that.

Then, on top of that, I have a current need to wear a backpack. I have a tail bag, it's usually pretty full. I need to carry stuff into the office after dismount, so the backpack. I also use that backpack during off-road excursions. It has my water camelback, a med kit, and a few sundries: snacks, TP, etc. I use a twin saddlebag at the same time over the seat. It's full with the trailside repair gear: Tools, spares, repair sundries, etc etc. They're both full leaving the driveway. ie: I need the backpack... so, that stumps me too.

I think mebbe the airbag vest is not going to work too well with the backpack on top of it, but I don't really know that.
  5. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mebgardner - perhaps contact Hit-Air and Helite, sales reps and see what they think about the concern you mention in your last sentence.

6. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The three layers I use leave heaps of airflow. THe Motoport jaket is almost 100% mesh, the Dianese armor is mainly a very wide "fish net stocking" type mesh.
    Worked very well for the hot climate here in SOCAL.

Using an airbag vest with a tall back pack could be a problem. The vest needs room to expand.
    Maybe you could use a motorcycle bag that can convert to an OK backpack for when you get to the office.
    Saddlemen has some cases that come with two shoulder straps, maybe someone can suggest other similar options.
  7. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot also has to do with individual fit too.
  8. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    Of course. I'll report back after I've talked with them.
  9. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look at these options.
  10. cow

cow SprMoto

Oddometer:
    just read your post re: deer.(i'm a newbie here) sneaky little suckers, aint they... I met it's cousin a few yrs ago coming from Paradise to Oroville, Ca at 330am. i saw it in my (illegal) 80w headlight. it was 10ft off the road to the right, but when the light hit him he stepped onto the road. I downshifted 2 gears, layed on the tank, and hit the gas. last thing I saw was a white circle on the foreleg and side of the chest (a perfect rifle shot).Next thing I saw was my bike, a '71 500 4 honda, flipping end over end about 50yds down the road and I was standing on my feet. left glove gone, left original air jordan gone, and most all the leather of my left sleeve, chest and back. Visor dangling from one pivot , and 3 big flat grinds on the helmet. Had a little roadrash on my left elbow, and mighty bruises on my hips from hitting the bars. I looked down toward my bike and could see my unbroken headlight shining up thru the dust. (That lamp lasted 8 more yrs in another bike)
    Wish they had gopros back then. I have no recollection of being on the ground.wish I could have seen it.
    To your post re the airvest; if indeed it pads the torso to that extent, we should all have one!
    I ate a back leg of that deer, and I tie fishing flies from hair on the partial hide I took. I think (almost) fondly of that deer when i catch a trout on one of his flies...
    Chris-KH2PM and 1dodgy1 like this.
  11. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger on a Helite Turtle Airbag Hi-Viz vest, from "The Helmet Center" in Phoenix, AZ. About $710.00, delivered to my door, including taxes.

I'm working out the "backpack" details, but I've decided to not wear anything over / on top of the vest.

Will I use it Dual Sport, too? Yup! I've got enough get-offs to believe I've got one too many broke bones that *might* have been preventable (yes, I know, Slow Down!).

Thanks for the thread, Fred!

Edit:

Wife and I both agree: This unit is heavy, and hot to wear. It weighs 1.8 Kg / 4 lbs. (Measured with portable accurate digital scale). I did not realize this when I first saw it (love struck baby), but walking around wearing it, yup, it's "weighty". Website does not mention this, no "specs" page... Re-thinking...

Edit:

I'm sending the Helite unit back, I think it's too heavy at 4 lbs. I'm considering the Hit-air units now, their heaviest one appears to be ~2.6 lbs. We'll see... Also, I've upgraded my armor vest from a G6 (Mesh, MX plastic armor parts), to the Dianese Manis unit shown in this thread. Nice! Hope it fits.
  12. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a Helite high-viz vest yesterday at the Adventure Designs open house. You can feel the extra weight, but it's actually more comfortable than the back protector I have been wearing because the back protector has a wide elastic band to hold it in position. Riding home yesterday felt cooler because of the added breathing space under the jacket. The Helite rep even removed the back protection pad from my Killimanjaro jacket; said it wasn't necessary with the vest because it has a built in back protector.
    ErikMotoMan and helitemoto like this.
  13. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    Harry: I'm not tracking on the "stack-up" context of your reply. You have a jacket. You have a back-protector with a wide elastic band. Maybe the jacket also has a back protector, that has now been removed. Maybe that's the one with the wide elastic band, but I don't think it is. It sounds like you had two: One in jacket, and another separate one with a wide elastic band.

So, here's my .02: I think you bought their "Turtle" vest. Yes, that has an internal back protector. So, you don't need the one in the jacket (now removed), and you also don't need the extra separate one with the elastic band, if I understood that correctly.

*However*, should you ride with your jacket, but without the Turtle airbag vest, *make sure* to put one of those back protectors back in place (one in the jacket, or don the extra one with the elastic strap.

The point: make sure you have at least one while riding...
    helitemoto and Harry94025 like this.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    This morning on the way to work:

A deer jumped in front of the car in front of me. The car just missed the deer or tapped it. Full grown female. This was near a dog park where there are always large bowls of water out. Residential road.

A few minutes later I came around an almost blind 90 degree tight curve to find two large dogs charging straight at me and in my lane. This was a residential road too.
    Some idiot opened their electric gate from the car and the two dogs charged out.
  15. Harry94025

Harry94025 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mebgardner,
    Your assessment is exactly correct; sorry I hadn't expressed myself more clearly. My wife also really appreciates the high-viz aspect of this vest because my new Triumph is black, as well as my jacket. Don't worry about me and riding gear; I've been riding for 47 years and know I'll break a lot easier that when I was 20 years old. Back then I always rode my dirt bikes alone and fast, wearing a Bell Star helmet, sweatshirt, jeans, and MX gloves/boots. Hoping this technology will help me survive getting older...
    ErikMotoMan and helitemoto like this.
  16. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    Huh. DejaVu+
  17. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Hey Fred! I think you're on to something!
    [​IMG]
    helitemoto likes this.
  18. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Backpacks don't make a difference while wearing the airbag unless you wear them very snug. If you do wear a backpack, give yourself a few inches of space for the airbag to expand.
  19. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to hear you are OK and that your airbag vest made a difference. I've been riding with one for 7 years now and won't ride without it on the street. I've shown it so well over 100 other riders but only one has bought one. It saved that guy's life a few months later. I would say that I don't understand why more people don't wear them - but if they don't want to wear helmets, they sure won't want these.
    ErikMotoMan and zoomcarve like this.
  20. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just answering questions, but I see your point. I'll back off.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.