Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lighten up! I read his posts and don't get "overbearing and boring". Aren't we all intruders in these forums?
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    nOOb, you have 19 posts, you hide your profile, yet you think you are a thread cop? you haven't been on here long enough to know what is and what isn't appropriate. maybe you should figure out how to fit in here and establish some credibility before you tell others to "eff off". btw, you sound like a really nice guy. :patch
    ErikMotoMan and CaptainLago like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    now you have 20 posts! maybe you now qualify to be the moderator you so desperately are pretending to be.
  4. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't "back off". @zoomcarve and others on this thread......I actually was the one to suggest that Helimoto join the thread, I hope that is OK with others reading the thread. Hit-Air and Helimoto's products are quite similar and if I understand correctly they are or were a sister company with Hit-Air.

Even though I was wearing a Hit-Air I wanted people hear to know about more than one option and more than one brand.

Helimoto has also made a vert nice stylish leather jacket with the air-bag system in it. Not everyone will like the look of textile so it's a very welcome option.
    ErikMotoMan and flei like this.
  5. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a good topic. Great story FredBGG, thanks for posting.

I have worn my Hit-Ait vest for three years. I use it on my annual 4-5k mile adv trips, and as well use it locally in the mountains on the dirt bike on FS roads and singletrack. I rode mountains and singletrack wearing the Hit-Air yesterday.

Safety gear is of utmost interest to me. I have a lot of constant inner dialog about riding my three motorcycles, and a lot of calculation about safety on the motorcycle.

Airbag vests are a fantastic development. I dream of something for my hips and legs similarly. Perhaps someday!
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  6. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to hear about the riders that are being protected by airbag protection. There are so many levels to choosing an airbag. Thank you for welcoming Helite so we can continue to help other riders learn about the technology too.
  7. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right. Thank$$$. Glad to see the marketing opportunity (not).

Outta here. Airbag user, like this topic otherwise...
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting this.me and my wife are atgatt people and find these airbags would be great.never heard of them till you posted this.Have hit 3 deer,1turkey and a dog at 75 (that one put me down for 3 months) and me and wife got t-boned by a crack head 3 years ago and walked away and our gear worked great.
  9. mebgardner

mebgardner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really! OK, well, that's not intuitive, so very good to know.

I accept the fact of it, but would you please present some additional information why it's true? I'm not disputing the fact, but I *am* interested in the technical aspects of why they work with a backpack in place. Intuitively, I would have thought a backpack would prevent the airbag from fully inflating in the area where the two connect.
  10. mebgardner

Oddometer:
  11. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    Helite has tested the vest with different types of backpacks so they know the vest will inflate even if the backpack is snug. We don't recommend that you keep the backpack snug because it could be damaged, but they know the vest will still work properly if a rider is wearing a backpack. If you would like, you can test this for yourself. We can include a demo cartridge to inflate the vest while you are wearing a backpack. I would leave the straps a little loose so it won't get damaged. Once the vest inflates you will be able to tell how tight you can make the straps.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  12. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    @helitemoto: I thank you for your generous offer. Really, thanks! I bought a helite vest,, had it delivered, and sent it back unused. It was heavier than I desired to wear at 4 lbs. This weight spec was not readily apparent looking at the specs listed for the model I bought, on the website. I did not know it was going to be (what I considered to be) so heavy... After looking closer (while I was figuring what to do next before returning it), I saw lighter models available for selection on the website, but noted they are "special order". So, I was unwilling to place an order for something "special order", and then be "stuck" with it. So, that was the progression and fallout for my selection process. I am looking at other brands, which do spec as lighter in weight. I'm still getting my arms around (pun intended :) what to do next.

What you've told me here, is good news for me. I now likely do not have to re-configure my carrying mode, and / or my carrying equipment (addition of: side panniers, or top case, or bigger tail bag, etc etc...), in order to wear one of these effectively.

I do note your wording does not include any statements about *reduced* effectiveness when wearing (backpack, other protections, etc) equipment over one of these systems.

Can you / would you please say anything along those lines? Thanks very much.
  13. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    The pressure in the airbag gets to 250mBar. It's a very strong pressure, and even with the backpack straps tight it's going to inflate. Depending on the straps, it will either inflate around them or rip them. Even with the bag inflating around the straps it would be extremely hard to reduce the effectiveness of the bag. If the straps don't break we know the airbag won't hurt the rider wearing a backpack, but we highly recommend they wear the backpack loosely. If a rider wants to wear other protection, like a chest protector, it should be under the vest.

We have some airnest models in stock, did we already check for the size and color you need? I think I remember the call, but it could have been someone else.
  14. mebgardner

Oddometer:
    I've received the Hit-Air airbag vest today, the MLV-P with reflective tape, in green / yellow.

The excellent quality is readily apparent. The weight is spec'ed to be slightly over half that of the Helite model, and it feels it. It feels much lighter, and wears as "roomier". This does not bother me.

The key systems are similar, but this Hit-Air model has a key lock that can "safe" the extraction ball. I could "safe" the airbag while fitting the release cable for the correct length, I liked that feature.

The users manual is 26 pages, in English and well written. Important points are repeated multiple times, so you get it.

One downside there: There is not one sentence about how it should "fit" when being correctly worn. Nothing.

I'm keeping this one, and will likely buy one for the wife too.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter hit one sunday nite.left my house after weekend visit in her olds 88 and called 10 minutes later crying.Insurance totaled car.Deer was a small 100 pounder.bent the radiator and flew into windshield. Both front airbags blew and rite airbag blew the dash apart.Just glad my daughter is ok.

Attached Files:

16. Manbyk

Manbyk Manbyk Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was amazed at how quickly the rider got on his feet & began walking back towards the bike. Absolutely NO time to react but somehow his split second reaction & his foresight to wear protective gear likely saved his life. I too live in an area "infested" by deer. In Texas Hill Country cattle guards on the front of pickups & cars are a common sight, unfortunately anyone on two wheels is simply rolling the dice every time they ride at dawn or dusk.
  17. vseddie

vseddie n00b

Oddometer:
    It seems the Stretch Kevlar in your gloves held up much better than the Mesh Kevlar in the jacket and pants. Maybe the mesh is more "grippy" on rough road surfaces and caused more damage to the material?
  18. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    I spent the morning at work reading this thread and researching the vests. Order placed.

I've spent money and time on conspicuity...lights, gear, etc.

But not all bad events involve drivers not seeing me. Deer don't care. Wet leaves in a corner don't care. A rock in the road don't care. A texting soccer mom isn't looking anyway. A mistake I make...I can do that with lights or no lights.
    ErikMotoMan and GETTHUMPER2 like this.
  19. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    After my collarbone bone shattering I think I'll look into the air bag vest

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  20. helitemoto

Oddometer:
    Riders looking for an Adv forum discount on a Helite vest or jacket check out the latest thread in the vendor section HERE.