Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best money I ever spent is on gear and air-bag vest!

I read about your accident. I hope you get well soon. I read about peoples injuries and I know I'm very lucky (thanks in large part to my vest and gear) to walk away from this and even have a few laughs with the good samaritans that stopped to help me!
    sanjuanbum and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  2. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny! I like the spirit!

When you walk away from an accident the whole world looks better and it puts things in perspective.

On a more serious note I would put Air-Bag use way above what tire a bike uses. It really is a game changer!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was no other car near me when it happened. The bike stayed in lane. I may have crossed the center line at some point, but did come to a stop in my lane. I slammed down hard as I was flung up a bit landing hard. I always wear chest armor when on a bike, even under my airbag vest. Hit Air makes a chest protector as an accessory to the vest, as well as back armor. I was riding with a Dianese MX armor mesh vest. I always use chest armor because I have a weak right side of my chest due to Tuberculosis as a toddler. Distorted sternum and ribs that are cured in towards my heart...... not a good scenario for doing a chest bump against anything......

I heard about Hit-Air from the Equestrian world. Hit -Air has an Equestrian Line and a Motorsports line.
  4. takeiteasy_U2

takeiteasy_U2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow...it will be fun to see your gopro video....especially the +200 ft slid. Post it !!!
  5. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am so happy you are here to tell us about this.
    I'm shopping for a jacket now. Right now.
    Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Cryoman01 likes this.
  6. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to try to get this on air before I post it online. I work in TV so I'm running it by several shows before I post it online.
    I think that getting it on air would do more for Air-Bag awareness. TV shows like to have at least a limited time exclusive.
  7. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.hitairequestrianusa.com/category/PowerSports.html
    I talked to a lady called Lisa there when I got mine. She went over the different models with me.
    I recognized her voice when I rang them up to tell them about my accident.
  8. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    When do we get his crazy footage?

How re you feeling at the moment?
  9. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    FredBGG: Glad you and your bike are no worse for the wear. It's always "fun" to go through something like that and come out unscathed and a whole lot more grateful. I had that happen after I got hit by a car. It's also an awesome icebreaker when meeting new people. You sold me on the air bag vest. I'm gonna check them out!

I've ridden that road a bunch of times and never once worried about a deer hitting me. Who knew? OTOH, I was in Sequoia NF and almost got sideswiped by a black bear tearing down a near vertical hillside.
  10. takeiteasy_U2

takeiteasy_U2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think if you get it online first, it would be better. If the conventional broadcast world thought it was worthy, it would have been on air by now. Just splash the internet with it & let it get out to those who need it. Eventually all will know & you may have your own show & become a star!
  11. 2wheeldevildog

2wheeldevildog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred sure glad you are okay. I bet you just sold more gear w this post than any other ads. Been looking at motoport gear now gonna pull the trigger. You are lucky to be able to kitesurf and ride the motorcycle in the same day and survive a high speed get off, but I think you put yourself in the best situation being so geared up to start with.
    round_i likes this.
  12. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An air vest is/was on my list. Your story has moved it up to first on the list. You be lucky!

I am re-thinking my gloves now too.

Do you think you would have seen the deer sooner in daylight given the spot it jumped you?
  13. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chunk missing from y thumb 10 days after the crash. Slowly healing with Manuka Honey dressings..... (the yellow brown muck near the wound is some honey residue).

[​IMG]

No kitesurfing for a while......

And this is my only bruise...... not much to show off right?

[​IMG]
  14. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:

Some years back a 400+ blackie got creamed by a pickup next county over. Bear and truck both died. They used a tow truck to lift it off the road. I've always wondered that if you hit one on a bike, it will likely make it mad. 95% chance it would run off, but if not, then things will go from bad to holy fucking shit real quick. :-)
    pigjockey likes this.
  15. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The deer came out of nowhere at full blast from off the road. I may of had a fraction of a second more time, but I really doubt it would have made a difference.

Edit: I just want to add that the deer came out from between bushes that were taller than the deer. I very much doubt I would have seen the deer until it was in lanes.
    windplay likes this.
  16. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just imagine a 400+ lbs bear with road rage!!!
    round_i likes this.
  17. kleinergti1

kleinergti1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are ok and able to share your gear reviews. I am thinking of airbag now as well
  18. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    heron163 likes this.
  19. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a truck driver at night. Average deer sitting, every single night. If I don't see one, it's maybe a handful of times for the year. Most I've seen in one night was around 80. I lost count after 45 or so. This is in Texas.

I've low sided in my motoport and only had a bruise as well. The pants didn't even have a scratch. That chunk from your thumb looks crazy. The location of it is usually where the flex zone for your thumb is in gloves.
    PC12driver likes this.