Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    John2453 likes this.
  2. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    OK is the air bag reusable or is it a one time thing and finally.....what about the deer?
  3. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just change out the co2 cartridge and it's good to go again. Once they go off they keep air for 15-20 seconds then deflate. Just insert new cartridge and good to go. In the event of a crash it probably has enough abrasion damage to require replacement though.
    round_i likes this.
  4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strong testimony Fred. Very strong indeed.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your service!

Did you buy direct from the website?
    http://www.air-vest.com/category/MotorcycleVest.htm

Were there other vest makers you considered? I have Dainese gear also - I saw awhile back they were coming out with one. I'll have to ck. that

Is all that skin going to grow back/level out? Manuka honey dressings eh? that is a new one too!
  6. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they will give him a discount if he mails them his original
    round_i likes this.
  7. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Hit-Air vests are re-usable depending on the extent of the accident.
    The trigger needs to be re-cocked and a new CO2 cartridge needs to be installed.
    The vest comes with a screw that is inserted and tightened to cock the trigger.
    The tether is put back in and the trigger cocking screw is removed.

Depending on the size of the vest the CO2 cartridge is about $15

I went down to hard and the hip area of the Air-Bag vest and slid for some way on my side.
    The outer layer of the vest got ground through in a very small area. About 3x3mm. There is also
    an area that got some road burn. However the vest remained intact and did not rupture.
    I tried pumping it up and it looks like it would still work. However I will replace it with a new one
    just to be safe..... after all I'm 225 lbs and I came down at 55/60 mph. If I went down again
    on the same area of the vest it may not hold up in a second hard fall.
  8. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the Hit-Air because of their history in making vests for the Equestrian market and because of the JARI testing. JARI is the Japanese Department of Transportation testing facility or works for the Japanese DOT.

This is a test with an older vest model. the current Hit-Air vests are more effective and offer more protection area.

For those who speak french here is an interview with a French trauma doctor.

John2453 likes this.
  9. John2453

John2453 Back in the northeast.

Oddometer:
    I was in the mountains w/ my son and we felt something hit the truck. Mind you, this was a Silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 and we felt the truck rock. I couldn't figure out what it was until I looked in the side rearview mirror and saw a huge hawk getting to its feet in the middle of the road shaking the cobwebs out of its head. I was surprised it didn't break its neck w/ the impact. There was no dent or any evidence of impact. My son and I remarked that we were lucky the bird didn't fly into the cab. In retrospect, I bet that bird would have knocked me off a motorcycle.
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, this sounds just like my deer encounter this spring. Second I saw him he jumped right into me, no time to react. I was going about 10mph faster and no injuries to speak of. Glad you got as lucky as I did. I find I think about deer all the time now while riding. How about you?
  11. super8mm

super8mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you checked with Motoport about fixing or replacing your stuff? check out the bold print here http://www.motoport.com/about-us/

I have a Ultra II Air Mesh jacket and pants, a pair of gloves an I scored a pair of their stretch jeans today :-)
  12. heron163

heron163 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will have to check out the air bag vest...
  13. heron163

heron163 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    number one reason I don't ride at night... the forest rat population around here is crazy...

what is it in the deers brain that seems to make them run right AT you???
    Uke likes this.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my crash I did a lot of research .... well poking around with google .... Just about all the motorcycle deer accident articles I found happened in the day time. This may well be because in Deer dense areas bikers in general just don't ride at night, however there seem to be a lot of day time accidents and unfortunately many are fatal for the riders.

This story really hits home....
    http://www.insideedition.com/headli...-reception-minutes-after-marrying-new-husband

Sad she was still in her wedding dress. ATGATT!!!!!

About a week after my crash a deer jumped in front of my wife car on her way to work. A beautiful stag with antlers and all.

We have had a few fires here and we are in a prolonged drought so the deer may be in areas they normally are not.

Tell you the truth I feel bad for them. They must be struggling in this drought.

I did look for the deer after my crash and made sure she was not suffering.
    Soliecirc, wildoat and dustin2 like this.
  15. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumb wound progress with Manuka Honey dressing using CVS Manuka Honey Adhesive Pads.

[​IMG]
    This is Aug the 28th (8 days after the crash) (there are a few little bubbles from hydrogen peroxide rinsing in the wound in the photo)
    The wound is nice and clean, but still deep. It was deeper.
    It's remarkable how clean and not inflamed the wound is.
    The surrounding skin isn't even red and at day 8 it was only painful if I tapped the wound or
    moved the thumb too much.

Here it is today Sept 3rd
    [​IMG]
    The deeper part of the wound shows good Granulation. (granular, bumpy new tissue that is full of capillary loops).(there are a few little bubbles from hydrogen peroxide rinsing in the wound in the photo). Good granulation is essential to a good repair of a deep wound.
    In the last 4/5 days skin growth has accelerated and the whole wound is still nice and clean with no inflammation.

The humid environment crated by the honey dressing and the incredible natural anti septic properties of the Manuka honey is really working well on this deep wound right on a joint. I do keep moving the joint slowly to avoid the new tissue stiffening up the joint. I can actually slowly move it with no pain now. Can't use much strength at all with the hand. Sometimes it just fine, other times it sends some nasty ass pain.

YOU REALLY HAVE TO LOVE THOSE LITTLE BEES! I hate pesticides more every day!
    rideslikeafish likes this.
  16. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not the nicest thing to look at but that is real. looking shall I say good!

reminds me of the time I got off balance working on bike and put my hand down, full weight on a hot soldering
    iron. that was deep too (not as deep as yours) and it came back. We are kinda lucky (sometimes) being human and all.

do you get these manuka things over the counter/drug store?
  17. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am intrigued with this air vest system. I never knew such a thing existed.
    Thank you,
    Simba
    p.s I would have seen a hand surgeon/Plastic surgeon. A very small skin grafting would heal very quickly. But granulation is a very promising sign.
  18. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    There is something to the daylight thing. If I you tube search "motorcycle hits deer" they are almost always daytime videos. I think mostly because like you said, a lot of people only ride during the day. Thankfully when most people ride is not the most active period for deer, but they're still out there as you know.

I live in PA so we have ridiculous amounts of deer. Come fall they are all over anytime. I really watch it then. Even in town they will be around.

Unfortunately as the population of hunters ages and is not replaced it's only going to get worse here.

Now I know not everyone is ok with hunting but if the deer weren't hunted and the population culled, a lot would die a death of slow painful starvation, they will also destroy crops, not to mention deaths and accidents on the road.

The money from hunting licenses goes to all kinds of wildlife conservation programs here. Plus there are programs like share the harvest where the meat goes to the needy. Finally, believe it or not, there are a substantial number of people in rural PA that really count on deer season to put food in the freezer.

If you've never been to PA, there's Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but the rest of the state has more in common with our friends in Kentucky. :-)
    brokerob1 likes this.
  19. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a Vegan, but I'm much closer to a responsible hunter in rural PA than I am to the industrial farmers (gestation crates and all) seen here in CA.

Hunting and farmers like Joel Salatin is where peoples meat should come from.

I feel sorry for the poor deer... think about it... taken out by a Vegan:hmmmmm.. that is just wrong...
    ErikMotoMan and rideslikeafish like this.
  20. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went back to the spot today because a few people have asked my what the road surface was like.
    I took a few photos

[​IMG]

It a section of road that is very "bitumen dry" making the surface really harsh

[​IMG]

A bit closer

[​IMG]

There is a patch further down:
    [​IMG]

For a comparison here is the road surface nearer home that is a bit more recent and more like most road surface I see:
    [​IMG]

Looks like I picked a real nasty spot to put my gear through the "blacktop body surfing test".
    I'm still amazed I have absolutely no road rash or burns on my body.
    ErikMotoMan and John2453 like this.