Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Around here we call that road finish "chip seal" or "spray & spread". It's rough!
    I had two deer encounters on a trip late last summer. One at dusk, and the other a few days later mid morning. I was at about 80 to 100 kph in both cases. Each time the deer came out onto the road and stopped in my lane about 30m ahead (I was lucky for the distance). I figure that no matter what, the deer wasn't going to be in the same place by the time I got there, and they don't go backwards, so I aimed for the ass end and hoped for the best. Regardless of my luck so far, the air vest is an excellent idea.
    Glad everything worked out, and I sincerely hope you never get another chance to test it again.
    Now, let's see that video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  2. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]
    I've encountered deer on Mulholland Drive on my commute from work in Hollywood back home to the Malibu Santa Monica Mountains.
    Aiming fro the ass (rump) is a good choice (traffic permitting). One night I came around Dead Man's Overlook a tight left hand curve in the direction I was going. There was a beautiful stag just standing there in the middle of the road about 25 yards from the curve in the Moonlight. Like you I aimed at it's ass and it gracefully moved out of the was as I came to an almost stop where it's ass was. I then had to get on the gas pronto as I heard the tires of a car coming up behind me on it's brakes. Just before Dead Man's Overlook there is one of the few straight aways on Mulholland Drive and too many cars come to the end of the straightaway way to fast. There is literally a cemetery of wrecked cars below Dead Man's Overlook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-cars-Dead-Mans-Curve-Mulholland-Drive.html
  3. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already posted why:
    "I want to try to get this on air before I post it online. I work in TV so I'm running it by several shows before I post it online.
    I think that getting it on air would do more for Air-Bag awareness. TV shows like to have at least a limited time exclusive."

These types of shows get hundreds of submissions a day. It takes a bit of time to get the video front of the right eyes. Very busy shows with daily deadlines.

I think making more people aware of Air Bags by reaching a TV audience is more important than a bit of glory on youtube... so youtube can wait.
  4. firemanonabike

firemanonabike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what did your jacket cost?
  5. Corroded

Corroded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :wave Hi Fred,
    Thanks for the great "real life" gear review, sorry you had to get up close and personal with one of Bambi's relatives to write it, but still, in this town,I guess better with a Bambi covered in fur than a Bimbo wrapped in a cage.
    Be well and keep riding & writing,
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  7. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are photos of the gear.

Left Sleeve. My left side took the hit.
    [​IMG]

Left sleeve inner side:
    [​IMG]

left sleeve from the inside:
    [​IMG]

Left Shoulder:
    [​IMG]

Right sleeve:
    [​IMG]

Comments on the jacket's performance:
    I have ABSOLUTELY NO scratches, road rash or bruises on my torso, shoulders, back and arms! There was some perforation on the left arm and shoulder.

This is what the road surface looked like (I put a 1cent coin down for size reference):
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

Right sleeve inside:
    [​IMG]

The Pants
    [​IMG]

Left knee area:
    [​IMG]

Right Knee:
    [​IMG]

Comments on the pant's performance.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO scratches, bruises or burns on my legs. My knees feel just fine.
    I only have a very small light bruise on my left hip.
    There is some perforation to the Right knee area. However there is virtually no damage to the large 4 layer knee/shin pad. The red is the surface color of the knee guard.
    However the protection to my hip is a combination of my pants and my Hit-Air air bag vest.
    John2453 and dustin2 like this.
  8. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glove photos. The gloves are Motoport Keprotec Gloves.

From what I remember and what I can see in the helmet cam video I first hit hard with the backs of my left hand.
    Right after the accident I remember my hands hurting like I punched something hard and a nasty sting in my right hand.
    I pretty much asphalt surfed most of the way with my palms down trying to avoid tumbling.

Left glove:
    [​IMG]

Left had top:
    [​IMG]

My left hand suffered no injury at all, just a little bit of over exersion of my thumb muscles. Just hurt a bit right after the crash like I had attempted to punch and slap Shaq.
    My wrist, fingers, thumb etc are fine. Keep in mind that I never clench when I'm on a bike. My hands are light on the grips, index and middle finger stroking the top of my brake lever. I'l go to having my middle figure wrapped around the grip when going over fun stuff in dirt.

Right glove:
    [​IMG]
    Looking really closely at this glove I can see metal particles embedded in the bottom
    of the palm reinforcement area. This has to be from my grinding crash bars as my palm went over the trail left by the crash bars just after the bike hit my right hand and took a chunk out of my thumb. I also found some in the area that got damaged. When cleaning my thumb there was absolutely no grit, sand or particulate in it. I rinded it over a strainer just incase there was some useful skin flopping out or tissue I needed to show the doctor.

Right glove top:
    [​IMG]

My right hand is my only injury. While I don't think I hit my right hand hard when I fell the glove was perforated on the knuckle
    of the thumb at some point in the crash. I recall seeing the bike coming at me with my hands extended towards the bike and a nasty sting right before sparks were flying right near me. I'm pretty sure a part of the bike or side case tore into the glove. The injury does not look like any road rash I have had before. More of a clean chunk missing rather than the typical streaky road rash. Deep too

Hand Injury: This is 8 days later. The yellowish white goo is Manuka Honey, not puss or anything like that. It was significantly deeper right after the accident.
    [​IMG]

What can I say about the gloves?
    Simply amazing. I have had these gloves for a year and commuted daily 2 hours plus each day.
    I've sweated in them in really hot weather (mainly because I have large hand guards on my bikes)
    I slid about 200 feet on really harsh asphalt and apart from the bite out of my right thumb I wave absolutely no
    road rash, no burns and not even a scratch. The protectors on the knuckles (finger knuckles) did a great job when I back slapped the road surface.

A while ago I did a crude drag test of a relatively new (4 months summer use, so sweating in them) Cortech Latino leather glove and a used Motoport keprotec glove that turned out to be too small for me. The leather glove simply failed in a horrifying manner.
    The Motoport Keprotec glove just needed to be rinsed off and showed barely any sign of being dragged. I don't know what magic material Motoport uses for the palms and the tiger tips, but it man... it holds up amazingly well. They are also relatively inexpensive
    and you can wash them in the washing machine, unlike leather.
    GETTHUMPER2 likes this.
  9. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't bother explaining yourself to trolls anymore, they won't leave you be now, or ever.

The gear pics- WOW. It just worked.
    round_i likes this.
  10. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea....

My response was mainly for others reading here.:-)

Yea. Considering how harsh the road surface was and that I did not bleed off any speed before slamming into the road and sliding
    I have to say that I'm really impressed and grateful for how the gear did it's job.
    My thumb is just a bit pissed off at his bad luck:-)
  11. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in the land of deer but Mullholland is where I had my closest encounter ever and that was 20+ years ago so they aren't just coming there now.

Thanks for all of the info on your gear. You've really enlightened me on the air vest.

Oh, you may want to seriously rethink using hydrogen peroxide at this point in your wound care. After decades of use, I've found I heal a lot faster by not using it after the initial cleaning.

http://www.advancedtissue.com/debunking-myths-wound-care/
  12. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad your ok mate. Love the inflatable vests, my problem would be forgetting to disconnect the teacher when getting off the bike!
    round_i likes this.
  13. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow I have never seen motoport wear down like that. I can only imagine what it would look like if it was a cheaper jacket. Also looks like the seams are perfectly intact. Makes me feel better knowing I ride in motoport.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks DC950. I should have been more precise. I'm only using the hydrogen peroxide around the outside of the open wound
    just to clean up the skin around the wound.
    Some honey mixes with a bit of fluid and blood. It leaves a gooey mess beyond the immediate wound.
    I'm glad you confirmed this for me... :thumb
  15. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgetting to disconnect the tether is not a problem.... I forget now and again. It requires quite a hard pull and as you move away from the bike it will yank you hard without triggering the vest. Even if you were to charge away from your bike or tip over if your foot slipped
    it is only a $15 to $25 CO2 cartridge and you can reset the vest your self.

However it is really important to remember to hook in or the air-bag is useless
    twilson likes this.
  16. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's why I wanted to post images of the road surface. Also keep in mind I'm 225 lbs and 6'4". I also had no time to bleed off some speed.... I literally went splat at 55/60mph. Also where I went down was uphill so even gravity was working against the situation.
    I've seen a few friends and strangers slide. I was expecting to be a real mess after asphalt body surfing. First thing I took off was my right glove and I saw the whole in my thumb..... I thought... oh shit my shoulders, knees and elbows will be a real disaster...... but NOTHING, nibs, nada, zilch....

Your right about the seams. No seams tore apart. Keep in mind I controlled my slide a lot so the areas damages were from prolonged slide
    pretty much in the same areas. I really did not want to start tumbling. I think I have to thank the fact that I had spent 4 hours kitesurfing in over head waves and doing many many controlled falls from my surfboard controlling the falls. When kitesurfing you have to control the falls because you have to still pilot the kite, especially wave kites that are very fast turning.... If you don't control the kite it can kill you or go down in the water and you get tangled in the lines if a wave pushed you into the lines....
  17. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I will try to get around to taking detailed photos of the vest and also pump it up again to confirm it still works after the crash.

I've ordered a new cartridge to do a full test, but
    tomorrow I'll just pump it up with my kitesurfing pump and an adapter taking the place of the empty CO2 cartridge.

18. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eh Hemmm. Lets say I sort of controlled the slide. The best thing is to roll onto your back.... I didn't do that...
    It's pretty amazing when you see moto gp riders do it.

The point I wanted to make was that I controlled it enough not to tumble and that kept me on the same areas of the gear as I slid,
    thus trading the gear in the same spots for a fair part of the side. I think that is part of why the gear went through the outer mesh of the jacket in a few spots and the knees. When tumbling more areas of the gear share the road grinding away at the gear.
  19. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great testimonial! I live in San Marcos near Motoport and have the luxury of walking into the showroom. I wear my Motoport jacket all the time, but FRIGGIN SOLD my over pants. This OP is driving me to go back and get the Kevlar jeans. Quick question: did you have the quad armor anywhere or just the stock armor (which is way better than Forcefield IMHO)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Motoriley likes this.
  20. matbaugh

matbaugh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I do appreciate critical thinking and questioning what others post I actually think that what you are interpreting as arrogance, is perhaps just excitement about being alive after a very dangerous event.

I've been looking at the air vests already, and am wondering if I can afford one. It is a shame that this kind of technology is so expensive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk