Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Matt,
    No guarantees that you will not be hurt in a get off (even with a vest).
    $500+ is a lot of money for a vest (jacket/boots/helmet....). If it saves me a trip to the emergency room or lessens a stay in the hospital I can't not afford it. I glance at face plant / accident reports now and then as a reality check. I can imagine going through some of that. I don't have an air bag but it will be put into the moto budget!

well said btw,
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  2. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quad Armor in the pants.

Hard shell armor by Dianese under the Motoport jacket.
    [​IMG]
    It. While it looks cumbersome it's actually really light and not restrictive at all. I unzipped the back protector and put the back protector in the Motoport Jacket.
    I did this for my torso and arms for three reasons. We were going through some serious heatwaves.
    The quad armor blocked a bit more air flow than this hardshell armored top.
    I also wanted to go with a hard shell chest protectors I have a deformed sternum and left ribs from Tuberculosis when I was a toddler.
    Also I could mot fit the Motoport Jacket with all its armor into my side Yamaha Side case when at the beach where I would
    leave my bike and gear for hours while out kitesurfing. I think the hard armor may have contributed to the damage of the
    Motoport jacket because the armor is not as flexible on the outside. What I mean is that the Motoport mesh found itself between two hard surfaces.... the road and the hard shell of the Dianese Armor.
    Barakaiki likes this.
  3. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another place I have encountered Bambi's relatives is Benedict Canyon a little south of Mulholland. This is a well known shortcut from the Valley to the Beverly Hills/ Century City area and is much more residential than Mulholland so it has a lot more traffic, yet the deer are still present. Oddly enough, I have actually seen some of them wait off to the side of the road before sprinting to the other side, kinda like how some city dogs will wait for the light to change before crossing an intersection.
  4. matbaugh

matbaugh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, after this testimonial and the 74 yr old who was rear ended, it seems like one of those things you can't not afford. After thinking about using one of these air vests, I hope they aren't too difficult to reset--I have to think I'd forget they were attached once or twice and just walk away from the bike with it still attached! Someone already posted this, but in case you missed it:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/29/his-motorcycles-totaled-but-hes-fine-thanks-to-high-tech-gear/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Uke likes this.
  5. matbaugh

matbaugh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To me it sounded like excitement born of having sidestepped the devil, so to speak. I appreciate his posting about it--it might help me do the same. I also appreciate naysayers--they perform an essential function in a thoughtful, democratic society.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  6. CDRW

CDRW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never really looked at airbag vests before, but I think I'm convinced. Good protection, good high-viz vest, and it doesn't look inconvenient to wear for street riding. Would I be correct in assuming it's not compatible with neck braces? And that it would be basically worthless for off-road riding because it'd go off every time you dropped the bike?
  7. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    which motoport ants were you wearing?
  8. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wearing the Ultra II Air Mesh Pants.
  9. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today I rigged up the Air Bag vest so I could pump it up and close off the tube and see if the vest still works.

[​IMG]

The vest holds pressure perfectly and the only loss of air is through the relief valve.
    The relief valve is designed to relieve pressure after a crash.

Here is the damage in the left hip area:
    [​IMG]

There are two little holes. The biggest is about 3x3mm.
    The bladder inside has no marks on it at all.
    A patch would most likely be enough to keep on using the vest.
    However for $500 I think I'll get a new one.

I also took this photo to show how small the vest packs down to for storage in your cases.
    [​IMG]
    Uke, Barakaiki and dustin2 like this.
  10. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, FredBGG for posting this. Thrilled that you came out OK after the deer collision!

Great information. A motorcycle-animal strike is my biggest fear. I had three car-deer collisions in 20 months while driving to work on a four-lane highway! I wear a Hit-Air Vest while riding motorcycles.

Hit-Air is no problem to wear. I wear my Hit-Air on street/ dualsport riding and quickly decided to wear it on dualsport/ singletrack rides as well. On singletrack, I decided, I do sometimes ride fast enough to use the potential protection of the Hit-Air Vest. My singletrack rides on a plated enduro involve some 50 MPH highway and 25 MPH secondary pavement before getting to the forest roads and singletrack- thus, I wear the Air-Hit Vest on all rides.
  11. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious on your thoughts- what about the slow speed tip overs? Or just a drop? Won't it blow the airbag up?
  12. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are basically OK. I was also fortunate when A deer decided to hitch a ride with me 5 years ago. My gear also saved my ASS! Those of us who have survived on road accidents at speed, know the value of ATTGAT.

Heal fast!

Rick G
  13. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. If you have a tip over or a anything where you suddenly separate from your bike with more than a 30/40 lbs pull it will go off.
    However keep in mind that it is only a $25 or less to reset your Air-bag vest with a new CO2 cartridge and you can do it on the road.
    You can carry a spare cartridge.
    Just need the alan wrench and the trigger cocking screw.

Here is a video on how it's done. Slightly different model to mine, but the cartridge replacement is the same.

It's actually a good system for an adventure rider. Not too high tech and easy to service on the road.

Might come really in handy in an over ambitious river crossing:lol3 or if you fly into a lake.
  14. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Generally, slow speed drops do not result in airbag initiation. I have fallen off completely once in probably 100 days dirt riding while wearing the Hit-Air vest. Once I fell into bushes, low speed, airbag initiation happened. The refill is $20.

I continue to wear body armor as well.
  15. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the idea, but at $25 a pop I would've spent over $100 yesterday
    Plebeian likes this.
  16. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are having a lot of fun!:super Sounds like a good top of the line armor jacket is better for what your up to :thumb

Sounds like your dirt biking. I've used the Hit-Air on dirt. I just un-plug is on the slower technical parts where I have plenty of
    "just part of the game" get offs. I then hook it in again for any high speed stuff.

You can also keep your tether a bit longer when on dirt and trails. It will be less likely to trigger on a slowish fall.
  17. takeiteasy_U2

takeiteasy_U2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the "Hit-Air Vest" can be used as a life-preserver when doing your water sports...the possibilities are endless.
  18. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wetsuit makers are working on something similar.

A Hit-Air vest would be dangerous because tangles with the lines are a bigger risk. Several wetsuit makers are working on systems inside the wetsuit with nothing to
    snag on the lines.

19. ChipAhoy

ChipAhoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The PFD's we use offshore are basically the same thing. Preserver has a tab you pull to inflate and some have an automatic inflate when you hit the water. Main difference is the cost is a lot less. The ones i have were about $100.
  20. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    Well someone has to be the safety guru. Lol. :-) I like Fred's input and we can say that his setup has been field tested and worked. I appreciate all viewpoints on safety and gear. I'm more on Fred's line of thinking, but I do also like to hear about what others do or don't do and how things worked.

I never interpreted him as being arrogant but he has his beliefs and makes then known. That's cool. Just like there are guys who are anti-gear beyond a certain level and make it known. I guess it's just different personalities and different people get different things out of riding and the associated activities.

I'm a big gear hound and like trying new things a lot. Other people have no interest. I understand. I ride dual sports which seems to attract "gadget" guys and outdoor types who like camping gear, gadgets, etc. I dunno. If that wasn't my personality in general I guess I'd be riding a different type of bike and have a different outlook.
    aftCG, ErikMotoMan and matbaugh like this.