Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ScooterInVegas

ScooterInVegas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was watching a video on the Dainese airbag jacket. It is wireless and only "arms" above a certain speed. If you slow down, it dis-arms, speed back up, it re-arms. Thats the only one if seen and like many in this thread, I didn't know airbag vest/jackets were on the market till a few weeks ago.

I guess the Moto GP guys started using them a couple of years ago.

Glad to see the OP is okay..... deer killer!!

Just kidding. :-)

This thread has me thinking. I ride a lot in the mountains of southern Utah. I see deer all the time and it sorta freaks me out. Last weekend, I seen maybe 5 dead on the side of the road and maybe four or five standing within ten feet of the road looking straight at me. I wonder why they're looking right at me. Is it they are just tired of seeing HD's and dig my GSA? Or maybe they see yellow really well, because I have my helmet and jacket turned up to "11".

What worry's me, I usually miss seeing the ones standing next to the road till I'm about to pass them. Man they blend in well with the bushes and trees.

I'm thinking I need to re-look into those Dainese D-Air jackets.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  2. takeiteasy_U2

takeiteasy_U2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. This thread peaked my interest in air-vests or airbag jackets as well. I knew nothing about them. That is why this forum is so valuable. So much good information that otherwise would go unknown by me & many. Yes, thank you to the OP.
  3. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems worth it for me to just wear the Hit-Air vest trail riding- along with my armor. At some places where I ride in mountains, some trail falls, even at low speed, could result in a roll/ fall down the steep slope. I decided that the Hit-Air would be nice to have in case of that. In consideration of the potential protection v cost of a replacement CO2 canister, well worth it.

My neck brace has been left off since I started wearing the Hit-Air vest. Previously I wore the neck brace on singletrack, dirt/ gravel, and pavement. I have considered the neck brace v Hit-Air for trail riding, and thus far have gone with the vest, leaving off the neck brace. From home, I am fortunate that in 9 miles I am finished with pavement but then ride 10-25 miles of forest roads to get to trails- thus, I go with the Hit-Air vest due to the speed on roads. If I were riding singletrack only from a trailer, that would be a decision to ponder- use of the neck brace for trail only, perhaps...

Right now I am off the motos for a while after a (rare) bad-contusion fall that did not initiate the vest and hit my rib cage on a rock- saved from worse by the armored 'sweater' that I wear. As I laid there croaking for the breath that had been squeezed out, I unplugged the vest tether so I could get up. It would have been really nice to have initiated the vest, but I did not fall off of the bike, slid out the front and went down. Have not done that in a long time- and it did not bother me then, in my youth!
  4. MonkeyBut

MonkeyBut Fuel Whore

Oddometer:
    Like others, I will be looking into these air-vests. So, I thank you. Those speeds and your outcome is a testament to the gear you were wearing. And you're here to tell the story, show pictures and videos. It doesn't get any freaking better than that! You hit a fucking deer at speed! That's huge! You're here! If you were wearing a Wal-Mart air vest and lived to tell about it, I'd be looking into those. If it was an (any manufacturers name here) I'd look into those as well. Passing on constructive, I hit a deer and lived while wearing this, is welcome information.

And if I had any knowledge of how to insert a quick video of Elsa and Anna singing, "Let it Go" to some of our viewing audience, I'd do it faster that an air vest deploying before impact.
  5. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    subscribing for the video.
  6. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dianese is doing some very interesting work. They are also working on sensors in the forks to fire their air bag system even before you separate from the bike. Would make quite a difference in a collision.
  7. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my jacket is tough to fold. I wear it for off-road dual sport as well, so I opted for the quad armor in the elbow only, Tri-armor in the rest. So I thought conventional wisdom was that hard armor didn't protect as well, you've given me food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. matbaugh

matbaugh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree--I actually prefer to have a range of opinions and even some disagreements about these issues--definitely makes life more interesting and the result more edifying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    ErikMotoMan and takeiteasy_U2 like this.
  9. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you comment on how well the motoport jacket folds without the armor in it?

Would it be feasible to store it on the bike? (Without armor in it)
  10. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little update on the thumb injury.

It's coming along very nicely.
    Just Manuka Honey dressings and cleaning around the outside of the injury with hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol.
    Nothing but the honey on the wound.

For comparison here is day 8 after the accident.
    [​IMG]
    It was significantly deeper on day one. Could see "moving parts" deep in there.

[​IMG]

The skin has now nearly all grown back and still not the slightest sign of infection and no swelling around the injury.
    round_i likes this.
  11. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. wildoat

wildoat n00b

Oddometer:
    This has me asking many questions about how well protected I am whilst out on my bike!
    Thanks very much indeed for sharing this story with us, it is literally an education and an eye opener.
    I wish you and your thumb a speedy recovery.
    All the very best
    cheers
    tony
  13. Burro X

Burro X no static at all

Oddometer:
    I have a friend that has been wearing a "Hit-Air" jackets for about 4 years - and has crashed twice using it. Once a vehicle next to him changed into his lane
    and pushed him into a ditch at 40 mph. Jacket inflated , he tumbled and walked away , sore but unscathed. About year later riding with me he blew a turn at about 40-50
    mph that had plenty of runoff but a soft base. He crashed , tumbled again and walked away with a tweaked shoulder.. The bike tumbled ,missed him but was totalled.
    After reading through this thread , and seeing one of his incidents first hand I think it's time to seriously consider something in the airbag realm for
    protection as I just had back surgery ( disc repair / non crash related ) and have some time on my hands to recover and research this technology much more.
    Thank you FredBGG for your story and glad it had a good ending, keep healing up !
    Uke and LostInPA like this.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came cross the story of Lawrence Grodsky a motorcycle journalist with a focus of safety that was killed in a motorcycle deer crash.

Here is a quote from newspaper article below:
    "Larry was the most talented, experienced and competent motorcyclist in the country, but this is the one thing he knew he couldn't do anything about," said his girlfriend, Maryann Puglisi, with whom he lived in Squirrel Hill and Washington, D.C., and who helped run his business.

"Just a few weeks ago he said to me, 'That's how I'm going to go, it's going to be a deer.' He could deal with all the idiot drivers, but at night when a deer jumps in your path, that's it and he knew that."

Deer are a problem that can catch up to us all. Rest in peace Mr Grodsky.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/ob...ert-on-motorcycle-safety/stories/200604110210
    Cheap Café Nihilist likes this.
  15. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Burro X
    I've discussed the pros of riding with an air-bag vest with my two brothers.
    One runs two motorcycle magazines in Italy and the other is a Spinal Doctor.
    Both agree that the protection offers by the vest is a gem changer.
    In particular my doctor brother said it is really important for anyone with back issues... even serious back ache.
    Any pain in the back is an indication of increased facility and vulnerability of the spinal column.
    Using an Air-Bag vest makes a big difference to any rider, but for riders with back problems it's an extra level
    of protection that they really should have.

It more than just impact protection. The vests reduce hyper extension (being bent out of shape) as well as simple blunt for impact.
    zoomcarve likes this.
  16. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Fred,

When they - hit-airbag - figure sizing I assume they are figuring with all the jacket/armor stuff on. I assume it is fairly adjustable and you need to cinch it up tight and let the air bag expand / tighten around you.

What is your size and the size airbag you get for relative reference?

I still think/relate the story about Grodsky once in awhile.

Thanks
    Cheap Café Nihilist likes this.
  17. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" 225 lbs (fit and slim) 46 chest. I wear an XL. There is enough adjustability in the vest to fit over more or less gear.

I does need to be quite snug around the waist so that the triggering mechanism does not have to much "slack" around your waist.
    You want it to trigger nice and quickly.

I actually added another tether to the stock tether.
    The stock tether goes from the vest to an anchoring point between the saddle and gas tank.
    I added an additional one that goes from the vest to the center of the handle bar. I did this for redundancy and also to get quicker activation if I came off the back of
    the bike or incase of being rear ended.

For your sizing it's best to chat with the people over at Hit-Air.
  18. Mayomoto

Mayomoto Neuroatypical

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, thats a lot of damage to the gear, musta been one hell of a slide, glad you and the bike are relatively ok. Your "old mx habit" comment made me laugh.
    I clutch wheelied over a doe a couple of weeks ago, dusk and outrunning my headlights on the dirt road i live on. Had enough time as i slid towards her to see which way she was gonna duck and go, fIguring she'd go one way me the other, but she just crouched and froze. I hit her square in the chest with my front wheel going only 10-15 mph and went right over the top. Hair in both barkbusters and footpegs, dont know how i didnt go down, most likely my otherworldly motoskillz (total freakin luck). Felt exactly like doing a log hop, except there were feet flying all over the place. Oddly, my first thought was "oh shit, im sorry, i hope she's ok". When i spun it around the light just caught that white flag as she cleared the fence, no limp. Slow speed, tiny bike, tiny dude, tiny deer, mostly offroad experience, luckiest bastard on the planet, coulda been different.
    Your hand looks great, gotta check out that honey. And the vest.
    In light of your lifestyle choice, i see no other remedy than to double up on the venison helpings. I'll eat your share for you.
    reveille, FredBGG and Rippin209 like this.
  19. pbsis

pbsis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to thank you for posting this detailed break down of the air bag vests. After further research I decided the pros of this type of technology outweigh the very few cons. I purchased the Hit-Air high viz vest for myself and the Helite Adventure style jacket for my father.

I dont want to hi-jack your thread so I will keep this brief.

The construction of both the vest and the jacket is top notch. I ordered the XL in the vest and the 3xl in the jacket. My father and I are similar sized at 6'2-6'4 and around 220 lbs. The vest is very minimal and you cant feel the weight when its on. The jacket is extremely high quality and reminds me of high level KLIM gear I have seen. The jacket is heavy but wears nicely. Lots of pockets and the material feels very durable.

If people are interested I would be happy to make a more in depth analysis of both products and I welcome any PMs or questions. I have no agenda and no allegiance to either product. I paid full price for both and would do so again.

Thank you for shedding light on this new (to me) type of protection.

-Paul
  20. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything you can add about air-bag gear is welcome here:thumb

Especially about the Jacket. I've only used the vests and never seen the built in jacket versions.