Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. OldRnger

OldRnger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That is quite a story. Glad you are ok and all the rest. Thanks for sharing and I will look into the vests. Thanks. J.
  2. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pbsis,

congrats.

why did you go with the helite jacket and not the hit-air jacket for Dad?

Seems like the prices are fairly consistent among sellers. Can you recommend them?

Is there a way to attach the jacket to whatever pants are worn?

I like my jacket pant setup in this regard so I lean toward the vest. My stuff isn't water proof. I have a rain jacket so I recon I'd have to wear the vest over the rain jacket (thin).

I did buy an armored vest in the last week - chest and back as per Fred. He was wearing that under the jacket if I recall. Armor, Jacket, Vest, - good combo for the upper body. I am almost there. Next up besides the vest - something to protect the knees that will fit inside the pants I already own/use.

thanks
  3. pbsis

pbsis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We honestly wanted to compare both manufactures (Helite and Hit-Air). I agree the price is very consistent. I do like the look of the HIT-AIR vest more then the helite vest but thats purely aesthetic. I think both would offer a great deal of protection.

I already had a good jacket that I liked (Scorpion Exo) and I had been wearing a high-viz vest for the longest time so switching to an airbag vest just seemed like the normal progression. My Fathers original jacket wasnt anything to write home about so I figured ordering the full jacket from Helite would solve both problems. He now has a super high quality jacket with the added benefit of the airbag.

My suspicion is the level of protection offered by the full jacket airbag is slightly higher then just the vest and jacket combo but at this point I honestly think we are splitting hairs.

I ordered the Hit-Air vest from http://www.bikebone.com/ Great service, I even called a few times before ordering to ask questions. Very knowledgeable and very fast shipping.

I ordered the Helite directly from Helite. http://www.helitemoto.com/ I ordered on Labor Day weekend and was a bit hesitant on what size to choose because European sizes run small. I did some research and decided to try a 2XL. I left a note on the order with my body type and size and told them to amend the order if need be. Nicole emailed me and said she wanted me to try a 3XL. She told me not to worry if it didnt fit she could swap it out no problem. I am glad she made the change to 3XL, she was right a 2XL would have been small. Great service from Nicole at Helite and equally as fast shipping.
    LostInPA, helitemoto and FredBGG like this.
  4. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Chain reaction"?? That double fatality sounds a lot like the two bikers were riding way too close to each other.
    It happens a lot, and I guess some think it's 'cool', but from a survival point of view it really does not make sense.
  6. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I interviewed with Christian Vera this Saturday for her show Right This Minute.

Absolutely adorable young woman motorcycle rider.....

[​IMG]

The segment will air Monday or Tuesday. I'll be posting my video on you tube Monday or Tuesday.

Here show's website:
    http://www.rightthisminute.com
    LostInPA likes this.
  7. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:

That may have been too close. Hard to know. However if someone crashes into a deer in front of you ... you have three random obstacles to try to miss. The deer, the bike and the rider. Even at a normal distance it can all happen very quickly. One of the riders may have been approaching in order to pass. A deer creates instant mayhem..... it's nothing like what we see and can somewhat predict with regulars traffic etc.
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the other rider COULD have been making a pass.

That's the only legit reason to get that close to one another.

Many riders do seem like they've watched Easy Rider too many times, when you look how closely they ride just 'normally'. And not just bikes - many also tailgate cars dangerously close.
    ultrasheen likes this.
  9. pnwadventure

pnwadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up. Riding in rural OR, deer are my number one concern. Glad you are ok.
  10. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We had a local cruiser rider lose his girlfriend to a daytime deer collision. He lost his leg.

Vest or no vest you're lucky.
  11. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun fact: while filming easy rider the motorcycles never went over 30mph because of motion blur from the camera, the actors stated it was very hard riding the choppers at low speed. Also before filming began the motorcycles were stolen from the house of the guy that built them, and retrieved at gun point by some helpful friends of the mechanic.
  12. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a lot more to that first story. Both riders that died where in a group of 8 and the other 6 took off and witnesses said they were going over 100mph. What truth to that I don't know but that story is on more than a couple news sites.
  13. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Fred for the detailed account of how your airbag helped save you from injury.

We have quite a few riders on the ADVRider forum that use Helite, and we still have a discount code for members on the Helitemoto.com site. Use code ADV at checkout.

Thanks again Fred, glad you came out relatively unscathed.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. motogoat

motogoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. You are lucky and that Hit-Air vest is impressive!
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that hi vis in surprised the deer didn't see you
    :lol3

It's truly amazing you were relatively unharmed...
  17. RSmith

RSmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Fred. I'd like to join the chorus and say thanks for the gear report. Looks like my next purchase will be one of those vests.

Glad that you are mending well.
  18. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple things from the video. It looks like a ton of credit is given to the airbag but it looks to me motoport saved your skin and from injury more than anything. You're lucky you didn't high side from that deer hit.

Weird note, other than motogp it's very rare I've seen a person slide farther than than the bike.
  19. ChipAhoy

ChipAhoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fred the video really makes me glad I spent the money on the moto port gear. Can't imagine what the skin would be like on that surface sliding that far. Vest is my next purchase. Great report.
  20. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    Alls well that ends well.

[​IMG]