Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Some Beach

Some Beach Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fred,
    Thanks for all of the work on this thread, very informative. I agree with others that your Motorport gear did an impressive job. I think the airbag vest kept you walking and out of an ambulance or chopper. Deer scare me, so I live in the desert with Javelina. Several deer tried to get me and my son on our trip through Canada this summer. We saw one take out a Jeep so I'm glad you are ok.

Keep posting, good stuff.
  2. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your comparison of the Helite vs. Hit-Air.

Fred, glad you could ride away from that nightmare scenario. Did you buy a lottery ticket on your way home?
    Just curious, does your motoport jacket have the quad armor or the lighter armor?
  3. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. no time for nothing. F. are you going to change how you ride any, i.e. slower through there, not at nite, different route, move to the desert :) etc? That looked like a fawn. If it was a bigger deer and you hit that or it hits you when you are on the bike and then have a get off (airbag deploys) you still hit a big object a 60mph?

The stars did align in your favor no doubt about that - even with the AB. You could have tumbled, hit something else, be hit by the bike, drifted to the other lane - car coming; but no!

I am going to get one, but I'm not thinkin it is going to protect me from any situation - kinda like airbags in a car. I just figure it just lowers the risk/outcome a tad bit more.
  4. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not using the motoport armor in my jacket. Under my Motoport jacket I wear a Dianese armored top.

I like my 3 layer setup. Dianese Armored top > Motoport Air Mesh Jacket > Airbag Vest.

My pants had the 4 layer Motoport armor. My left knee was a bit stiff for a few days, but other than that both legs are just fine. Not a scratch.
  5. AdvTraveler

AdvTraveler Live to Ride

Oddometer:
    FredBGG, first let me say I am glad you came out in one piece.

I have been watching this tread since the start, but have not chimed in. I think the vest is great, but want to point out that vest or no vest things can still go wrong.

I was riding with a buddy about a year ago (he was all geared up) on an isolated back road. We came around a corner with him in the lead. I noticed a dear on the side of the road. I was praying my buddy would also see it, but he just kept going without slowing down. Next thing I know the dear jumped in front of him as I expected and he went down very hard.

I stopped and ran over to him where he was lying in the middle of the road. The first thing I noticed was that I did not see his left foot, but only his ankle bone. I thought at first he had lost his foot, but it was severed and twisted underneath him. He had to be air lifted to the hospital. It has been a year later and he still is undergoing surgery and having a difficult time walking.

All I want to point out is that sure the air vest is great, but even with the vest you (or anybody) could have had a similar outcome as my friend. If my buddy had an air vest on he would still be in the same condition.
  6. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a fold-down side car on your bike? Coooooool....
  7. helitemoto

helitemoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is something no rider wants to see their friend have to go through. Any safety gear we wear, even helmets, are never 100% effective. I think it is about making a personal decision on what precautions to take before you ride. I'm sorry your friend is still dealing with injuries, it sounds like he is lucky to be alive after that crash.
  8. AdvTraveler

AdvTraveler Live to Ride

Oddometer:
    Helitemoto - thanks for the kind words.

Looks like you are in Emeryville - the deer hit was on Bear Creek Road out by Orinda close to my house - you probably know the road.

For about a year after the incident I had PTS (I think) since every time I would ride I could not get it out of my mind and thought that I was always about to be ambushed by a deer. I would still ride the same road since close to my house, but thought I was going to be taken out every time.

After a year I noticed that the thoughts started to fade and was not as petrified about deer, but believe me anytime there is brush up the side of the road I slow down and scan extra hard.

I pretty much see deer every time I ride and even have them in our front yard often.

I have ridden down our residential street many times and had two or three dear come charging across the road out of a neighbor's yard. Kind of strange in the immediate bay area.
  9. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    nasty!!! I hope he gets better. Bad foot and leg injuries are horrible.

A photographer friend of mine lost a leg in a motorcycle crash.
    One of my assistants was hit by a car when he was standing near his bike on the sidewalk. Really bad injuries to both knees. He can run anymore and walking is very difficult.

What boots was your friend wearing?

Did he have any other injuries?

The airbag vest protects the torso hips, neck and shoulders. From the hips down you need to be wearing other protection. Really good boots are a must.

Also an airbag vest makes a huge difference up to certain speeds, but everything has it's limits.

However it's really important to keep in mind that fatal injuries are most frequently due to Head, Thorax and Abdomen areas. An airbag vest is sort of your helmet for your body.... and the vest and helmet work together.

[​IMG]

I'm a kitesurfer (strapless on surfboards) and mountain biker. My feet are very dear to me.
    Even a moderate injury could be really a problem kitesurfing strapless as I need a lot of control and sensitivity in my feet.

I only ride with very serious boots on Alpine Stars Tech 8 RS or Sidi (both over $500 a pair).
  10. AdvTraveler

AdvTraveler Live to Ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks FredBGG - he is one of the safest people I know. He was riding a sport bike that day and had on full racing leathers and Alpinestars boots like you, but more of a road racing boot. I am not sure exactly what model. Hell, he even had a high vis vest on over his leathers - safe guy.

I think his foot came down after hitting the dear and struck the ground very hard and maybe was trapped as he went down. Not sure if even the best boot would have prevented his ankle breaking.

Scary stuff indeed.
  11. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Whatever gear we use it is going to be increasing out chances of a good outcome, but there are always limits as to how far you gear can go in protecting you.
  12. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fred, can you provide a link for the chart a few posts back? I'd like to see a chart that tabulates not "fatal" like this chart, but rather "nonfatal but really f-d up".
  13. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
  14. Dirtdogie

Dirtdogie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    German testers ADAC tested Hit-air, and it didn't make the cut. Airbag vest must deploy no later than a 100ms to be effective. Hit-air deploys at 250ms. ADAC gave the thumb up to Dainese, and Helite. Hit-air was rated as only good, where Helite was rated as very good.
  15. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Perfect protection all around. That vest is on my short list to buy now.
    FredBGG and round_i like this.
  16. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Current models of Hit-air Vest are faster than that one tested. Full deployment is 0.18 sec, however the Hit-Air inflation inflated the neck area first and also offers more hyperextension of the neck protection. The Hit-Air when inflated has a big wedge around the back of the neck. It takes a little longer to fully inflate because there is more volume around the neck that has to be fully pressurized.

An important thing to keep in mind is that with all these vest protection does start even before total inflation.

Hit-air also has a race specific Air-bad vest. It had the most neck are protection and is designed for better mobility on the bike and also has a much faster trigger actuation thanks to the rear mounted tether. It does have a bit less hip are protection, but is designed for race leathers with more hip protection in them.

Dianese's electronic system is the fastest, but more expensive. It also uses two cartridges. It also requires sensor to be installed on the bike.
    It is more complicated and more can go wrong. The system does however have a fault warning system. The dianese system however has one downfall for use on two way roads or in traffic. If you collide or go down slow enough it will not trigger.... it is designed not to. This will reduce your protection in a get off where being hit by another bike is a problem.

Most importantly all three of these systems are so much better than not wearing an air-bag vest, so I think giving all three the two thumbs up is the way to go.:thumb:thumb
    Dirtdogie and GETTHUMPER2 like this.
  17. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Injury update:
    My thumb has completely healed over.
    [​IMG]

The skin has healed well thanks to the Manuka Honey treatment. Much of the new skin has a relatively normal texture.

Starting to work on increasing the range of motion.
    When doing this some of the area under the scar gets pretty read and a little bleeding can happen.
    This is the tissue underneath stretching and tearing a wee bit. This is OK because I need it to not
    heal to tight. It does hurt a bit, but no big deal

This weekend I had my first kitesurfing sessions after the crash.
    Friday and Saturday. I wore some protection over my thumb and mechanics rubber gloves.

It was brilliant to be back on the water so soon after a 60mph motorcycle crash!
    Friday I was weirdly not very confident on the water and took it easy.
    Saturday after about 15 minutes on the water I was back in my groove big time and
    having a blast in big surf..... plenty overhead.
    It felt great to put on a show and chill with the onlookers when I came in.
    I joked that I was still taking it easy because of my thumb and the motorcycle accident.
    They pulled it up on you tube and were blown away that I was out kitesurfing so soon
    after a crash like that.

Life's good!!!!

Driving back I was thinking about how damn important and air-bag vest is to an adventure rider on a long trip.
    An air-bag vest in a moderate fall could make the difference between completing the trip or having to medivac home, or simply end up
    not being able to complete a dream trip.

While I was back on the water kitesurfing an ADV rider on a trip could be back on his bike keeping the adventure going.
  18. Sniperx

Sniperx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made it to fail army 4th week of september...

Fasyforward to 3:37
    FredBGG likes this.
  19. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. NoVa Road Warrior

NoVa Road Warrior Off Road Hooligan

Oddometer:
    100% Pure Californian laid back attitude, got to love it!

"Wow man, ....hit a deer going 55mph. Gnarly".

Glad to see you are unscathed and will live to ride & surf another day!