Crashed hitting a deer at about 55mph

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by FredBGG, Aug 31, 2016.

1. 1dodgy1

1dodgy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to this thread tipping me over the edge. I've ordered the helite vest. Fyi 10% off using ADV code. I pictured myself in hospital after an event and would bet I would be glad to have spent $600 to minimise the bill let alone the discomfort

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    FredBGG likes this.
  2. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1d,
    Any reason why you chose helite vs. the hit-air?
    the adv. discount is very cool.
  3. 1dodgy1

1dodgy1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not much, just what I have been exposed to more, website was easier to navigate.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
  4. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does hit-air have a discount and is it the same as the 10% offered by helite?
  5. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a great story....not because you had an issue, but because your gear saved....well your ass.

I am going to also look into one of those vests as well. I can't tell you how many times I get asked on a 98f day....why do you wear all that stuff....the jacket perhaps....but the pants and gloves. Well this is why.

I have started reading reviews on the different vests/jackets. One thing I read about the jackets are they do not breathe real well....so on hot humid Missouri days it is is rough with just the jacket....I imaging with something that will not flow air. I think I am going to go with a vest over a jacket.
  7. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They do sell mesh versions. Is that the consensus on those as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. zoomcarve

zoomcarve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Hit-Air vest is tolerable. I ride in 90 degree weather with it- including singletrack on my dirt bikes. I wear it on highway and on singletrack riding. I always wear a Troy Lee full-armored top, which does ventilate when moving but is warmer than a t shirt. The Hit Air vest over the armor top was noticeably warmer, but it works well enough when moving
  9. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw a dead deer that had been hit this morning on my commute to work on Mulholland Drive. I was told the car went off the road... there were still a bunch pf papers and some other stuff scattered in the bushes.
    Happened in the curves... the deer stumbled to where it dropped and passed away. A young stag.

[​IMG]

I so often see pools and even streams of water from houses on the road that over water their gardens. This brings the deer down to the road looking for water.
    Even with the drought these idiots over water their gardens.
  10. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    I've had a Hit-Air MLV for 6 years now. It's saved my bacon in two accidents. The only time I don't have it on is when I'm riding a dirt bike. It's amazing and not even half the cost of an ambulance these days. Well worth it.
  11. motogoat

motogoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...I was thinking: How would a wearable air bag work with a neck brace? Or do they accomplish similar goals differently? Thanks.
  12. 2wheeldevildog

2wheeldevildog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why aren't these deer using the deer crossing section??:lol3:imaposer
  13. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi-Air airbag vests have a big wedge that inflates behind and around your neck. This pretty much works like a neck brace once it's inflated, however unlike a neck brace it has to inflate before it can protect you.

However a neck brace dies not immobilize the neck as much as a fully inflated hit air vest does. Also a neck brace that immobilizes the neck as much an a hit-air vest would not allow enough movement
    to ride safely.
  14. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Gurock1

Gurock1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just came into this thread and read it all. I'm really an ATGATT guy, but I've never owned the airbag. I've seen it a few times and run into people wearing them. I just had thought the the added layer and possibility of an undesired inflation made it unrealistic for me. I ride a really lot, like 40,000 miles a year and all on pavement. Everything from Chicago traffic to hills and turns all over the country and am exposed to every road danger there is.

Just for giggles, I can tell you that in the last ten years (about 500,000 miles) i've had several incidents including two high speed getoffs and have walked away from all of this without injuries greater than moderate quick healing small abrasions and feeling like Hulk Hogan beat me up.

The first one was about five years ago travelling home late at night on I 90 in the Chicago suburbs at 2 AM in the rain on an FJR. There was a piece of truck tire in the road and between the dark and rain obscuring my vision I didn't see it. It tangle with my front wheel and made me do a low side at about 60 MPH. I slid down the wet pavement till I stopped and got up on my feet. Two good Samaritans called 911 and helped me get the bike up. Some damage to the bike and the State Trooper tried to get me an ambulance, but I won out climbed back on the bike and had the officer follow me off the highway to make sure the bike was truly ride-able. Insurance paid the bike damage and I was soar for a week or two. I was wearing rain gear, Speed and Strength summer riding jacket, Kevlar blue jeans (Sliders), work boots, AGV quality gloves, and a Scorpion EXO helmet.

Then I hit a deer in Wisconsin a couple years later going about forty MPH. I was in the Kettle Moraine State Park on a fast road with mid-speed turns. I was doing a turn that had a 40 MPH diamond sign coming in around 65 or 70 MPH on a Suzuki Burgman 650 near dusk, when I saw the deer run into the road maybe 100 yards or less in front of me. I did what a couple of you said, I hit the brakes and aimed for behind the deer. The dumb ass deed managed to turn around in that second. So my left knee hit the deer's shoulder, my front wheel hit the deer's ribs, and my right knee hit the deer's shoulder. Somehow I kept the bike on it's wheels and stayed on the bike through out. The deer landed on the shoulder, got up and hobbled off. I came to a stop a little up the road and discovered that I was only a little soar and that the bike had minor damage. I rode home and never bothered to fix the bike. I was riding the next day and the bike had a piece of deer hide sticking out of the tupperware kind of like a native american would have a scalp hanging from his belt.

The next spring I was on the Blue ridge Parkway in Virginia with a friend. We had been racing on the parkway a little like lunatics since eight that morning and it was three in the afternoon. I was on an FJR and was taking a 40 MPH turn at about 70 MPH. I'd probably done more than a hundred turns like that during that day. This turn had just had law mowing and the roadway was covered in grass clippings. With the help of the hazard I manage to start a right hand low side and thought that I could recover, so I tried to pull the bike out and ended up doing a left hand high side. I went over the high side and slid tumbled down the road. I think the thing that saved me was that I never left the road during the slide. There were mature trees on the sides of the road and ditches. I slid/tumbled to a stop. I laid there a minute kind of shocked on the road. Within a minute my riding buddy and the lawn mowing crew were there to help me. I got up off the pavement missing my right hand glove and my left boot, but basically OK. I had a major cut on my right hand back side behind the thumb (should have been stitched), a cut on the bridge of my nose, and a deep cut on my left upper shin (3DO knee pad caught the skin). I also felt like I was beaten by a street gang. The police and paramedics came, my bike was a total loss, but I could refuse the paramedics. Insurance paid for my bike and my trip home. I was wearing work boots, an Olympia Transitions jacket, Firstgear TPG Escape pants with 3DO armour, cheap Olympia light summer gloves (90 degree day), and a Scorpion EXO 1100 helmet with the sun shade down and the visor up (the nose cut).

In November of 2014 I was riding to a business appointment on a BMW C 650. I was standing still waiting for the oncoming traffic to have a break and make my left turn from a four lane (two each way) main street onto a side street in a Chicago suburb. A lady was talking on her cell phone and ran into the back of my bike at 35 MPH. Next thing I knew the lady was standing over me and I was still laying on the pavement face up. The lady bent over looked at my face and asked "Are you dead?" I wasn't but the bike was dead. Police and paramedics came from two towns and couldn't believe that I was OK. In the end the cops gave me a ride to my appointment and the ladies insurance paid fro my bike. I was very soar for a while and had a bad lump with swelling and a moderate cut on my right shin back side. I was wearing a good grade riding jacket Firstgear Kenya, Kevlar lined docker style Sliders, work boots, Racer gloves and a Shark RSI helmet.

Last but not least this May I was riding home from a eighteen hundred mile three day weekend in a cold steady rain and was within one mile of my office, where I needed to stop fro a short job, when a pedestrian darted out into the street, making me and the the two pick up trucks in front of me panic stop. I ended up sliding front end into the back of a pick up truck. Again it bent the forks and wrecked another FJR. When I landed I was directly behind the rear wheel of the pick up truck and I remember yelling don't back up. Anyway I was very soar and had two small cut on my right shin. Other then that I was fine. Firstgear Kathmandu jacket, Firstgear HT overpants, Held Tourtek gloves work boots and an Arai Defiant helmet.

I almost forgot the worst injury I've ever had on a bike. I was riding an FJR up the Davis mountains on I 10 west heading towards El Paso around 1:30 in the morning doing about 95 MPH, when a Coyote ran at the side of the bike. In that instant I could see the Coyote coming directly at the left side of the bike. For right or wrong I took my left foot off the peg and kicked the Coyote. The bike stayed on it's wheels. I don't know what happened to the Coyote. My left foot hurt like hell. I waited to check out the foot until I got to a rest stop. I thought I had broken my left foot and I figured once I got off the bike I might not be able to get back on. I wanted to be able to call for help if I needed it. When I got off the bike I could bear weight on my left foot, took off my boot and sock to discover that my third and fourth toes were very black and blue. I'm pretty sure that they were broken, but there is really nothing that the docs do for broken toes. So I rented a hotel in Van Dorn, TX, got up the next morning and rode to Phoenix. The following day I rode to San Diego, rested and visited there for a few days and rode back to Chicago starting a few days later.

My point in telling all of this is that accidents at speed with reasonable gear on will generally work out if the rider doesn't hit a solid object at speed. By a solid object at speed I do not mean the pavement. If you do a getoff at speed you hit the pavement more with the force of the small fall to the pavement then slide, and not the large impact of your speed being changed from 50 MPH to 0 MPH in one second by a tree, guard rail, wall or such. That doesn't mean that I don't think the airbag vest could be very valuable, but I'd like to know if it will protect you from dying if you do a getoff at speed, say 55 MPH and hit a solid object like a tree or guard rail with your torso directly, while still moving at say 40 MPH. Will your rib cage still be caved in resulting in death? If in fact the airbag has a good chance of saving the rider in that situation then I want one like NOW.

Please remember two things before you write comments to this post. I'm really not looking for "helpful critiques" on what I could have done differently from anyone that's ridden less then 500,000 miles as these are all my events in a half million miles and if you haven't ridden large miles like that in moderately short number of years including Ironbutts and many 1,000 mile plus days you don't have the experience to critique my riding. The other thing is that the best rider that I've ever heard of anywhere was John Ryan. John Ryan probably rode three million miles during the last ten years of his life. He was the greatest endurance rider that has ever lived and probably that will ever live. With that said John Ryan died in a tragic m/c accident on the New Jersey Turnpike a year or so ago. For those that don't know of him he rode a record breaking ride of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, FL in 87 hours. That's close to 6,000 miles including the 400 or so miles on the "Haul Road" which is dirt mud and gravel, on an 05 FJR in 87 hours that's an average speed without any breaks of 69 MPH. I like to think that most of you would think he was a great rider. BTW Ryan always wore an Aerostitch one piece. If any of you want to tell me that I've been incredibly lucky and done a few stupid things I guess it's true. On the other hand I've spent a long day riding the mountain roads of north central Colorado ending in Estes Park at six in the evening then decided that I needed to be home the next day and took off for Chicago. At about three AM in Kansas City, I texted some friends that "Sleep was for the Dead" and that I would be in Chicago by noon. It ended up being more like two in the afternoon for a short nap on top of the bike in a gas station parking lot.
  16. Barakaiki

Barakaiki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Gods are certainly smiling on you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. El Duque

El Duque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good question.
  18. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have been very lucky. However the reason the Police and Paramedics could not believe you were OK is because the majority of people hit like you were are either dead, paralyzed or severely injured. They as first responders see and know what
    the reality is.

You mention undesired inflation. It never happened to me in years of using one. Even if it were to happen, it would be falling off the bike at a stop or for some reason running away from the bike fast enough to pull the tether out that needs about 50lbs of pull.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  19. Gurock1

Gurock1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really want to be clear that everyone should have the most protection possible and that I do want to give the airbag a second look.

I also understand that I've been very lucky, on the other hand a big part of my luck is that I never hit a stationary object at speed or got hit by a car after a get off.

Btw I did hear that from first responders.
  20. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I on the other hand was absolutely fine except for my thumb. Not a scratch, bruise or even a stiff neck. The use of an air bag increases you level of protection and keeps you further away from reaching the point where damage and irreversible damage occurs.
    Sometime that threshold has a very small "no injury to fatal injury" range. Anything to stay on the no injury side can be a life changer.