Crazy? Yes! Stupid? Yes! San Jose to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by grae313, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tests conducted in the past have indicated that up to 19 motorcycles can be housed in one garage stall.
  2. grae313

grae313 Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    See, that's what I'm talking about! Fantasize now, work out the "trivial" details later :deal
  3. grae313

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Yeah those salt flat pictures came out so well! I love the contrast between that and the mountains from the end of the trip. We went to so many different places.

Maybe it feels like a chapter is missing because we didn't ride back. :dunno
  4. PHud

PHud dame los tacos

Oddometer:
    Very jealous! It looks like an awesome trip :clap:clap
  5. iyeager

iyeager I lost my avatar...

Oddometer:
    Land of Dorothy and hesitant slave-owners
    Garage stall?

You should see how many I fit in my living room once.

Ian
  6. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where there's a will, there's a way.
  7. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I fit one in my living room once.

Just once.

Tom B
  8. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Congrats on surviving. Honestly, those of us that rescued you all the while back were not very confident you would make it very far.

I must say that I am a bit disappointed, though, that you offed the trusty little cliff diver after such an adventure. I would think that would be something you would want to keep for a while longer. Either that, or store it up there until you can return to take the time to ride it to your new home.

In terms of new bikes, you should look at the WR250R as we just got one for Karen. It's way too tall for either of you, but I think they make lower links for it.

So I'm assuming that you 2 (or at least one) got a job as a physics geek in NY? Ironically, I'm in Long Island for work as I type this.

Take care.

Parting shot:

[​IMG]

from their humble beginnings...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266889
  9. AnthonyD

AnthonyD Nothing to see here...

Oddometer:
    What a great ride/report! And the pictures are absolutely breathtaking.
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Dan and Jessie, it was great to finish reading your adventure, and good luck in the future!

We finished our trip this past Saturday with a very boring drive from Denver back to Atlanta, GA with the bikes in tow. We covered about 6k miles also, but only in 12-13 days. I would have much rather had the close to 30 days you guys had to enjoy such an adventure! I look forward to many future ride reports from you guys! :clap
  11. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    :freaky Cheers to both of you and all who helped you on your journey. Great report and stunning photos. It is the epitome of "run what ya brung" CA to AK on commuter bikes, backpacking with duffle bags and canned food, kitchen gloves for rain covers! :thumb I hope I meet you two sometime in the northeast.
  12. aciurczak

aciurczak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have either of you spent much time in Ithaca? I spent 6 years of my life in that area (seemed like 12), and I gotta tell you, motorcycles weren't top of mind from October through April. The Daytona would sit 8 months of the year, and I never saw anything other than a ratty dual-sport on campus. Snow, salt, cold, and crappy roads conspire to make sportbiking a distant fantasy in Ithaca, unless you spend all the summers there as well.

You'll love Cornell, I know I did, but don't be surprised if motorcycling gets put on the back burner for a few years. Congrats on a great trip report, and you both picked a perfect time to get something like that under your belts.
  13. grae313

Oddometer:
    Hey Brice! :wave Yes, we proved that we can indeed ride 6,000 miles without crashing :shog. For anyone curious about the backstory, you can read about Brice spending his day rescuing our asses with a jeep and a winch (instead of breaking in his new GS) in the link he posted :bow

The Ninja in the picture is actually still home in the garage and still without a front end. Dan rode his GS500, but it was still a shame to leave them either way.

My starting grad school at Cornell is our reason for moving. I'll look into that WR250. Say hi to Karen for me!
  14. grae313

Oddometer:
    Gwen... I'm speechless :shog Thanks for your high praise. Your "Where in the world is Shoganai?" thread was a major part of the inspiration for me to do this ride. :bow
  15. grae313

Oddometer:
    :2cry

8 months? Really? I had been told 6 months :cry I will be spending summers there though, doing research. Also I plan to get something like an XT225 in addition to the D675, where I can stud the tires and ride in a little snow, kinda like Mark does in Alaska, but not as hard core. :D
  16. grae313

Oddometer:
    @Beez: Thanks! I can't wait to start exploring the other side of the country :D

@BlueLghtning: Thank you, and congrats on your successful trip as well!

@AnthonyD: Thanks and welcome!
  17. TheNoid

TheNoid Young punk

Oddometer:
    After much soul-searching I've come to the conclusion that I'm a cheapskate. In that spirit, I'm planning to be putting along on a ratty dual-sport next to Jessie's 675 cause I couldn't stand the thought of dropping 10k on a nice bike that I couldn't ride most of the year.
  18. Big Doobie

Big Doobie Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, Noid.

I just started riding again last year, didn't want to drop 10 k on a new bike, so I went the KLR 650 route.

It aint fast and it aint pretty, but its got 10,000 miles on it in the past 12 months, and thats in a part of Pennsylvania, where winter lasts 6 months of the year. I draw the line at 38 degrees.

Thanks for sharing your ride with us, and I shouldn't have to tell you that girl is a keeper.

Best of luck to you both.
  19. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Wow Dan, I didn't know about your crash. Man, you were LUCKY!!

Because of the crash, was it pretty scary when Corbin and I took you thru the esses out on the Hwy? We sure weren't trying to scare you guys, that's for sure. The ecstatic joy Jessie showed on that ride is something I won't ever forget. Awesome fun.

Gosh, Gwen. :shog You're too kind. Thank you, Mark H.
  20. BearII

BearII No, it's not complicated

Oddometer:
    8 months is outta wack, even 6 months. I lived 2 hours north of Ithaca for 12 years and we would ride at least 6 if not 8 months out of the year. Sure it can be a little chilly in early spring, you'll ride through some slush and snow occasionally and you'll have to watch the leaves and frost in the fall - buy hey unless you're some candy ass who needs it to be 70 to ride there's lots of great riding time in Ithaca.

Regarding the roads - NY has some of the best roads in the country. Lots of fun twisties. Just be extra careful of the potholes and all the sand/salt/cinders in the corners in the spring!

By the way - loved the RR, great story and lots of cool pics!